1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking to trade in trd sport 2wd

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by trdsportDell, Jan 16, 2022.

1. Jan 16, 2022 at 5:46 PM
    trdsportDell

trdsportDell [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Abdiel
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Sport
    leveling kit
    Looking to trade in my 2022 TRD Sport 2wd but unsure of which trim to get.. will for sure be 4wd but unsure if the Pro, sr5, or trail.. Any help would be great…

Love my 4runner but the 2wd has now become a big issue.. my kids and myself have gotten to really like the offroad trails and with it being 2wd we cant really get that offroad experience and have to settle for the easy flats

7C91EEFC-3742-4C8A-892C-48592B79B937.jpg

Dabigono likes this.
  2. Jan 16, 2022 at 6:05 PM
    Will

Will New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 4 Runner TRD Sport
    Get what you WANT. Life is short.

also

that didn’t take long. Lol.

werlyb23, brownersd and McSpazatron like this.
  3. Jan 16, 2022 at 6:22 PM
    trdsportDell

Member:
    First Name:
    Abdiel
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Sport
    leveling kit
    lol.. only been a month and 3 trails.. i need that 4wd option

DRobs likes this.
  4. Jan 16, 2022 at 6:28 PM
    Dabigono

Dabigono Just Joined

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner
    I recommend the Off-Road trim, but I’m bias

werlyb23, DRobs, brownersd and 2 others like this.
  5. Jan 16, 2022 at 6:31 PM
    08TXRunner

08TXRunner New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '20 SR5P
    So what is it you need help with?

6. Jan 16, 2022 at 6:37 PM
    trdsportDell

Member:
    First Name:
    Abdiel
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Sport
    leveling kit
    Got a quote for $47k for mines now need to locate a Trd Offroad

Dabigono and Will like this.
  7. Jan 16, 2022 at 6:39 PM
    Slopemaster

Slopemaster Slope Survivalist

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    265-70-17 Ridge Grapplers, TRD Pro rims, 3M precut bra, N-Fab nerf/steps
    Most people on this forum prefer and encourage the Off-Road version. It is probably the best bang for the buck.

I have the base SR5 and am completely satisfied, meets all my needs both on and off-road.

8. Jan 16, 2022 at 8:56 PM
    peaceloveandtattoos

peaceloveandtattoos New Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    ‘22 Army Green ORP
    Trd pro skid plate, roof rack, wheels, tires and lift, predator tubes
    I went with the ORP because it has some of the nicer options that my previous OR did not. I freakin love it. Looking forward to seeing what you end up with!

Dabigono likes this.
  9. Jan 16, 2022 at 9:33 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Dobinson IMS Warn Bumper CaliRaised Sliders 285/70 K02s
    That escalated quickly lol

If you are switching specifically because you want to hit the trails, it would be nice to have the rear locker…that comes with the Off-Road trim.

werlyb23 and Dabigono like this.
  10. Jan 16, 2022 at 10:51 PM
    Slopemaster

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    That’s true, I have been towed out of the desert countless times in my SR5 because I don’t have a rear locker.

Just kidding! :crapstorm:

11. Jan 17, 2022 at 1:25 AM
    suaveflooder

suaveflooder New Member

Member:
    Don’t get caught in the idea that you “need” 4wd to enjoy off-roading. There are a ton of people who do it very well with a properly set up 2wd.

At the same time, if you will be unhappy with the sport, get what you want instead. Having something you REALLY want (even if you will never use it to it’s full capability) makes owning the vehicle that much better.

Post pics if you get something different :)

12. Jan 17, 2022 at 3:37 AM
    Patcell

Patcell New Member

Member:
    Bergen County, New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Off Road Premium
    I have an Off Road Premium, which I absolutely love. I like that it has the Crawl Control, MTS, and rear locker. That being said, A-TRAC works really well also when needed. A-TRAC is standard on all 4WD 4Runners, so that may serve you just fine as well. Basically it’s very aggressive break torque vectoring when you need to get unstuck in 4-Lo.

werlyb23, S8ULATR and Slopemaster like this.
  13. Jan 17, 2022 at 8:33 AM
    TRDLE

TRDLE New Member

Member:
    Duluth, MN
    Vehicle:
    '22 TRD Pro
    All trims are good, it just really depends on what you want and what you value. Just use the compare tool on the Toyota website, see what has what you want, and don't rush into it or settle for what's readily available. I mean, that's why you're trading in a new vehicle after a month.

McSpazatron likes this.
  14. Jan 17, 2022 at 9:50 AM
    trdsportDell

Member:
    First Name:
    Abdiel
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Sport
    leveling kit
    I love my sport just want to be able to go up those muddy pitchy roads and make it to the top of mountains, if i switch tires n few gears i can probably do it but why not just go ORP..

McSpazatron likes this.
  15. Jan 17, 2022 at 10:22 AM
    suaveflooder

suaveflooder New Member

Member:
    i saw a guy in a pro flip it because he didn’t know how to drive. It was posted not too long ago.

i basically have an off-road premium, and I would mess it up. Lol

16. Jan 17, 2022 at 10:23 AM
    S8ULATR

S8ULATR New Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2 Germans & a Beast
    This. I have an ORP as well and could not be happier, it has made it through things with ease that my friends with lifted Gladiators and Broncos swore it had no chance. They are amazed with it.

That said, a 4x4 SR5 that comes standard with A-Trac will get you through most everything, and likely the same obstacles that I mentioned above. For me, the OR version was the choice due to the rear locker. The Crawl Control and optional MTS (selectable terrain) are a bonus.

Probably the most important purchase if you are going to really do some off roading, is better tires. The tires that come on an SR5 or a TRD OR are essentially street biased tires. After tires, it is a rabbit hole of lifts, lights, rock sliders, coolers, skid plates, recovery gear, roof racks. You could spend over $100k on a 4runner if you wanted to, but a 4wd with good tires will likely get you to the same places. Experience and skill go a very long way, and it is fun to gain those over time.

Enjoy your new truck when you get one !

17. Jan 17, 2022 at 10:35 AM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    I think everyone did a good job with the original thread that @trdsportDell posted. I think he understood and (briefly) lived the message that enjoying and exploring with his trdsport is a beautiful thing all by itself. It was beautiful. His kids have new memories because of it.
    :amen:

But now, he caught the fever.:pout:

My conscience is clear. There is no more we can do here but stand back :pray:(and wait for pics).

He has a fever, and he knows there is only one prescription…. and it’s not more cowbell.

:p:D:p:D

upload_2022-1-17_12-32-12.jpg

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
  18. Jan 17, 2022 at 10:43 AM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Good sir, I’ll have you know I’ve been in situations where my rear locker was the only thing between me, and a fate that would’ve meant…

…pushing the A-Trac button, yeah the a-trac wouldve gotten me out.:D

Slopemaster[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. Jan 17, 2022 at 4:32 PM
    Slopemaster

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    If they offered a rear locker and manual transfer on the SR5, that would have been the sweet spot for me.

I bet a lot of you would agree.

The Off-Road offers the cool options but I just couldn’t get into the rims, fake hood scoop and front/rear bumper valances.

I had the choice between the two models in 18’ with any color for almost the same money, but I chose the simpler version knowing it would meet my needs.

McSpazatron likes this.
  20. Jan 17, 2022 at 5:33 PM
    trdsportDell

Member:
    First Name:
    Abdiel
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Sport
    leveling kit
    Lol totally correct but unsure of a trail edition or orp big price difference

21. Jan 17, 2022 at 6:05 PM
    GrantA

GrantA Enjoying God’s creation

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Fully locked 2020 SR5 Premium
    - GOBI roof rack and ladder - Westcott Design Rock sliders - M.O.R.E. Underbody Skid plates - Dual ARB air compressor & ARB single compressor - LED interior lighting - Ironman 2.0 meter awning and enclosure - Ironman winch with factor55 hook - Ironman foam cell pro suspension - Ironman recovery snatch rope - Ironman recovery traction boards - lilbscustomfab Hybrid Front Bumper - lilbscustomfab BMC - RRW RR7-H Hybrid Beadlock wheels - Nitto Trail Grapplers 285/75/17 M/T - 4.88 gears - ARB front air locker - ARB rear air locker - Hi-lift jack & mount - Sony aftermarket speakers - LASFIT External LED Light Conversion - Center console organizer - Glovebox organizer - ICS phone Mount holder - C4 rear bumper with dual swing arms - C4 gas skid plate - C4 rear diff skid plates
    I would go SR5P and then modify it as you need (personal opinion but bias as well). Idk how many you bring along with you off-roading but if you have more than 5 only the SR5 offers 3rd row. Any 4x4 will do. You want a rear locker you can add that. You want bigger tires you can add that. Point being I have an SR5P and I added everything aftermarket. I feel it is better than stock parts anyway as aftermarket you can choose not to cheap out on parts. I believe Toyota cheaps on some things to save money but dang is it a nice looking reliable vehicle if I say so myself. I like the pros but you don’t need a pro to wheel. Just getting off the beaten path like you are doing right now and having fun is all that matters. Obviously 4x4 is highly recommended… ORP are nice as well if you don’t need the 3rd row and want some of the added off-road goodies without getting them added on later. Really it is up to you but sounds like (not judging) you should do some research on the different models and what you want. Do you plan on getting bigger tires than stock for better ground clearance? If so what size? Big enough and a regear is recommended. Do you want a rear locker or are you okay with a-trac? Do you want to have kdss or not (if you plan on going aftermarket with kdss do you research first. Sometimes it is a pain to find kdss aftermarket support). Anywho good luck and look forward to seeing the pics of your 4x4 4Runner.

Mtbpsych likes this.
  22. Jan 17, 2022 at 6:16 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Is there a trim called “trail edition?” Not sure anymore what toyota came out with this year. I believe there was an SR5 trim that was the Trail Ed, but it was the same mechanically as an SR5. The SR5 has a 4wd system and ATRAC. The transfer case uses a rotary knob to engage the transfer case (it uses an electro-mechanical actuator).

The ORP is what is used to refer to the Off-Road Premium. You can get the regular Off Road (non-premium) for a bit less because it has no sunroof, has regular cloth seats, and a few other things like no homelink buttons. But either of the Off-Road trim packages come with rear differential locker and multi-terrain select (and Atrac) And these also come with a stick for transfer case, instead of the twist knob.

The Pro trim package will be like the Off Road, but with a nicer suspension, and wheels, special colors, and a few other things. The price differential and market value of the Pro compared to the Off Road is significant, so you reeeeaally need to want the Pro to justify the price. From a mechanical standpoint, upgrading a regular Off-Road to Pro level specs (or better) is much cheaper than buying a Pro.

The limiteds are a different animal. They’ll come with the wheels and exterior plastic that you have on your Sport (meaning less clearance), but it has a 4wd system that is different than all the rest. It’s technically an all-wheel drive system. What makes it all wheel drive, is that it has a center differential, not just a transfer case. This lets you use 4wd on dry pavement.

All of the other 4runners use part-time 4wd because the transfer case doesnt have a differential, and using it on dry pavement makes the drivetrain bind, which is not good.

DRobs likes this.
  23. Jan 17, 2022 at 6:42 PM
    Dabigono

Dabigono Just Joined

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner

base 4x4 SR5 $38,680
    base 4x4 Trail $40,995
    base OR $40,635

Screen Shot 2022-01-17 at 6.44.21 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-01-17 at 6.44.44 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-01-17 at 6.43.44 PM.jpg

24. Jan 17, 2022 at 6:43 PM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    Having experience with multiple trims here's my favorite 4wd choices.

If you are OK with 5 seats and want to give a little lift (more than 1.5in rear and 2.5 front) I suggest TRD Offroad without KDSS. Also add the multi terrain package for the fancy camera system, it's well worth.

Many of the members love KDSS but I don't like it highly discourage buying it in terms of reliability, trouble with skids and sliders, wheel articulation limitations after normal lifts. Many members hate me for sharing flaws of KDSS it's up to you search google, other forums and YouTube for these points.

If you like 7 seats SR5 is your best choice. You can get after market lockers. When I get a quote it was $1500 for elocker and $2500-$3000 for air lockers depending on the compressor I choose.

If you want to keep absolutely stock TRD Pro is your ticket. There are few things I hate like the annoying exhaust sound and roof rack. But I don't agree with the price tag for its basic shocks and 4 a/t tires. Newer Pro has terrain monitor camera system atleast that is a plus.

(I also have a Limited but won't talk about it because it is the least off road worthy even after lift. Unless you want to put lot of work on the body panels)

I would suggest to go to Toyota.com and compare each model to get more details on the features.

DRobs and trdsportDell[OP] like this.
  25. Jan 17, 2022 at 7:58 PM
    trdsportDell

Member:
    First Name:
    Abdiel
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Sport
    leveling kit
    Ive been doing alot of reading and sheeeesh the list goes on and now i think ive even gone as far as looking into zrz’s and just keeping my sport.. sheeesh this is going to get really pricey…

26. Jan 17, 2022 at 8:27 PM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    Building a used Jeep Wrangler Rubicon is a good idea too. By far capable and strong than a 4runner. It can never be your daily driver due to lack of comfort and reliability but an amazing tool for trails. Some of the suspension upgrades can improve the comfort to some level.

Take your time, never hurry things. If you get a great trade in value or sell offer for your 2wd, think about it. This is a seller market so you might be lucky.

27. Jan 18, 2022 at 7:15 AM
    Cardork

Cardork New Member

Member:
    Redwood Curtain
    Vehicle:
    2021 Venture
    How are prices on the Nissan Armada? They really ain’t bad and offer much value. The pre CarPlay (2021 I think?)ones go for stupid cheap prices albeit many have been treated like red headed step children owing to being fleeted out to Hertz and so on.

2WD still being offered on the T4R with it being frankly such an anachronism at this point is difficult to justify.

28. Jan 18, 2022 at 7:20 AM
    LandCruiser

LandCruiser I have Toyotas

Member:
    East Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    5th Gen OG TE
    It’s a essentially Nissan Patrol now.

…the new Patrols aren’t that great.

I would go with the Wrangler, despite what Toyota owners say, they are actually really good at what they do.

kmeeg and DRobs like this.
  29. Jan 18, 2022 at 7:26 AM
    DRobs

DRobs New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Missouri Ozarks
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR - MGM
    Pinstripes, lots of em. Plus a couple dents.
    If you like going off pavement, I would at minimum get an Off Road. Next would be the Off Road Premium and then Pro.
    Since you know what you want to do, I would eliminate the SR5, Trail, and Limited.

I agree with kmeeg, go test drive a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon & Toyota Tacoma Off Road. I did exactly that before buying my 4Runner Off Road.

kmeeg likes this.
  30. Jan 18, 2022 at 7:35 AM
    Cardork

Cardork New Member

Member:
    Redwood Curtain
    Vehicle:
    2021 Venture
    I know and while they do a laughably poor job of it do compete in the Land Cruiser space. That said, when last I looked they went for low $30s. Shudder to think just how little $30k would get you in a 4R currently.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2022

Products Discussed in

To Top