1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking at a Lexus 460/470 or 4Runner

Discussion in 'General 4Runner Talk' started by Lyninsky, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Apr 9, 2021 at 8:50 PM
    Lyninsky

Lyninsky [OP] New Member

Member:
    Looking to buy a 4runner or(please don't kill me)-->or Lexus 460-470. What is all your thought on the Lexus. I know it is the same pretty much as the Land Cruiser. Is the Lexus affected by the rust? Will it get as many miles as the 4runner?

2. Apr 10, 2021 at 2:46 AM
    Toy4X4

Toy4X4 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2020 Offroad Prem. 4-runner
    RevTek 3" front- 2" rear leveling, JBA uca's, LED interior lights, Cooper 275-70-17 AT3 LT
    Welcome from Wisconsin! Couldn't tell ya about the Lexus, 1st time 4Runner owner, long time Toyota enthusiast. As far as rust goes, every vehicle is subject to rusting, especially in states where salt or chloride is put on road and bridge surfaces in the winter. The accumulated miles is something that is lots of the time dependent on the owner, normal maintenance, etc. Good luck on your decision.... You can do it!

3. Apr 10, 2021 at 6:46 AM
    Ironguy

Ironguy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ralph
    Bisbee AZ
    Vehicle:
    2020 Black 4Runner Venture 1967 FJ40 Land Cruiser
    New pine scent hanger, new sun shade
    Welcome!

4. Apr 10, 2021 at 7:07 AM
    aroyalsfan

aroyalsfan The Owner

Member:
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner SR5 Premium - Midnight Black Metallic(218) - 4WD
    Westin Pro Traxx 5 Hood and side window deflectors Black exhaust tip Tinted front windows Billet grill overlay Badge Overlays painted Cavalry Blue Powder coated stock Trail Wheels gloss black 12 Volt Solutions plug and play remote start To do list: led swap Speaker upgrades Sound deadening doors Maybe list: rear backup sensors
    Well the Lexus in all it's glory doesn't have a rear window that rolls down.

5. Apr 12, 2021 at 8:06 PM
    Trail Runnah

Trail Runnah New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T4R Trail Edition
    Stock
    The Lexus 460/470 is based on the Prado, which is called the "Land Cruiser Prado" in non-US markets. It's basically a 4Runner, it doesn't have anything to do with the US market Land cruiser other than the 4.7L V8 in the 470 and 100 Series Land cruiser. If you look at the interior of a 460, it's pretty darn similar as to what you'd find in the same year 4Runner (2010-present). It's trimmed nicer, of course, but if you look at the dash and door panels, it's the same basic design as what you'd find in the 4Runner.

If you live out west or down south, and that's where the vehicle came from, rust won't be an issue. If you live where they use road salt, or the vehicle is from there, then yes, rust is a problem. They aren't like a Corolla that you just buy and drive for years without thinking about it, these need care and preventative maintenance of the chassis to ensure they live a long life. Any body on frame vehicle is going to need that, really.

The 4.7 in the 4Runner has gone over a million miles in a few Tundras, so yes, it'll go the distance. Just note that Toyota recommends a timing belt replacement every 90k miles. The 460 has a timing chain, so no belt replacements to worry about. I don't know much about the 4.6L other than that, but it's a Toyota; it's going to be reliable.

The 4.0 in the 4Runner is supposedly very reliable too, just not very powerful.

Generally, I think the 4Runner is the better looking vehicle.

I think the 470's look okay, they look better modded. The 10-13 460's look good, but the 14 to present is pretty horrid looking IMO unless you replace the front bumper.

The 460/470 has a side swing rear door. The 4R has a hatchback, and the rear window rolls fully down into the hatch. That was a big selling point for me. The hatch allows me to use my bike rack with no issues, and my dog loves the roll down rear window. It's also great for ventilation when driving.

On the other hand, I dislike the 4.0 V6 in the 4R, so the V8 in the Lex most likely drives better.

On certain models of the 4R you can get a rear locking diff and crawl control, which I do not believe were ever available in a US market 460/470.

I would drive both, and see which one you enjoy driving/being in more. You really can't go wrong with either.

6. Apr 23, 2021 at 7:42 PM
    LandCruiser

LandCruiser I have Toyotas

Member:
    East Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    5th Gen OG TE
    470/460 have a V8 and full time 4WD.

Products Discussed in

To Top