1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Loading a boat at Ramp with your 4R

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by mac1usa, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Jan 17, 2021 at 12:30 PM
    mac1usa

mac1usa [OP] New Member

Member:
    I was just reading another thread about brakes and the 4R. I am considering getting a 2021 ORP and using it tow my 3k boat fishing.

Is anyone having an issue with the parking brakes at a boat ramp and movement while in park? I have seen trucks go in the water due to negligence.

I am curious if anyone has an issue with vehicle movement while loading their boat (obviously on an incline). All my life I put the vehicle in park, set the parking brake, then get out to crank my boat back on the trailer. I never have experienced an issue but this brake thread got me concerned below. So I am reaching out to all the other boaters out there. I am in Michigan and its flat so I really only need the parking brake at a boat ramp. I dont need anyone getting hurt or seeing a new ORP go in the drink.

Thanks

2. Jan 17, 2021 at 12:59 PM
    Mtbpsych

Mtbpsych New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    I have no experience to offer but suggest you do parking break first, then put it in park that weight you can put most of the weight on the rear brakes and not on the transmission. Of course you do this while brakes are applied so you are not moving.

Schlappesepple, erfer1 and a47chuck like this.
  3. Jan 17, 2021 at 1:04 PM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Get off my lawn

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    If it’s in park it is in park. Don’t forget that part. Using the parking brake alone is going to turn in to a wet day. I never had any issues at the boat ramp.

a47chuck likes this.
  4. Jan 17, 2021 at 1:06 PM
    SR5 Limited

SR5 Limited New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1996 SR5 Limited
    I’ve launched over 200 times. And “drive” the boat onto the trailer. Rocks it a little. Never had a problem.
    Some people forget to raise the drive before leaving ramp. But that’s the only “mistake” I’ve seen.....

5. Jan 17, 2021 at 1:57 PM
    Sixgunz

Sixgunz Gold Member

Member:
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    2022 ORP
    Kings front and back, RSG sliders, GOBI ladder BFG AT 285s, OEM phone dial wheels, KDSS
    On my RZR, I use a product called the Spring Brake Thingy because there is no parking brake on it. I wonder if you could rig up one of those to fit the 4Runner and use it when you're at the ramp? It's a simple, mechanical design and has been reliable on my machines.

6. Jan 17, 2021 at 3:22 PM
    BX22BR

BX22BR New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hardy
    Never had an issue...back trailer in the correct depth, place 4Runner in park, put parking break on. Never had it move...

7. Jan 17, 2021 at 6:45 PM
    SR5 Limited

SR5 Limited New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1996 SR5 Limited
    AND don’t back too far into the water... My buddy backs his truck up until the whole a$$ end of his truck is in the water...lol
    It rotted the underside of the frame, axle, spare, bumper exhaust.., Had to weld a bunch of metal in. Lol
    My rear tires don’t even get wet...:)

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    POWERPLANTHOMER likes this.
  8. Jan 17, 2021 at 7:28 PM
    Tama1968

Tama1968 New Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    T4R SR5 in Classic Silver
    I got a really good deal on my Trailblazer (well my son's, since I got a 4Runner) because a nice lady backed it down the boat launch a smidge too far. Reportedly blamed the truck but handles inclines well for me....

9. Jan 18, 2021 at 5:41 AM
    mac1usa

mac1usa [OP] New Member

Member:
    Yeah I have seen guys leave there tailpipe in the water while running--not good. I have towed boats for years but not with a 4Runner, I read about the emergency or parking brake as some say and thought how could this be an issue.

I saw a guy a few years ago with a new F-150 get in a rush because of lines and while launching his boat in the water, forgot to put the truck in park. Well needless to say I as he got out the thing kept going back and the door was open. He jumped on the dock luckily not hurt but watched his truck get completely submerged. His boat was still connected to the trailer winch to which pulled the bow of the boat down as the trailer went deeper in the water. Hate to see that happen to anybody.

After seeing that I bought a of wheel chocks and if I have someone with me I have them set those just in case.

10. Jan 18, 2021 at 6:59 AM
    Agent_Outside

Agent_Outside A Guy A Girl and A Trail

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Built 2011 T4R Limited
  11. Jan 18, 2021 at 8:10 AM
    dcaplan

dcaplan New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Vehicle:
    2020 Venture Edition
    In all of my years boating and working at Marina's the only time I see things like this happen is when people are rushing. There is a lot of pressure on you when the boat ramps are busy and your tension grows so I always remind myself to take my time, double check everything and if you have help, double check what they did just to be sure. People can wait, be mad, get frustrated for me taking my time but I will be there a lot longer if my truck is under water. I usually put my truck in 4wh before backing down, engage park, engage the parking brake and leave it running. I always like to use 4wh because I kinda assumed it put less pressure on the rear drive shaft but I could be wrong. I have seen a lot of snapped rear drive shafts at the boat ramps over the years and it goes back quick when that happens. Don't hold me to any value in this.

12. Jan 25, 2021 at 1:58 PM
    POWERPLANTHOMER

POWERPLANTHOMER New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JAMES
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD OR PREMIUM, 2021 TRD OR PREMIUM KDSS
    Not a bad idea if you need 4Low for the lower gearing also, I’ve done that at my little lake, on the dirt boat ramp.

13. Nov 5, 2021 at 3:36 AM
    mac1usa

mac1usa [OP] New Member

Member:
    yeah they say it’s good to use emergency brake once and a while also. I need to do that more often. Here in flat se MI there is no need on most occasions

14. Apr 2, 2024 at 6:14 AM
    Daddykool

Daddykool Photography enthusiast

Member:
    Not being someone who launches boats, there's something I always do when getting out of my vehicle on a slope. I crank the steering so that in the event something does happen, it will go in a preferred direction.

15. Apr 2, 2024 at 6:24 AM
    Schlappesepple

Schlappesepple New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 ORP
    Just try to get into the habit of using it every time you park, then it will be automatic when you need it.

And the other poster had it right: shit mainly goes sideways at the boat ramp when you're in a hurry.

Products Discussed in

To Top