1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lifetime Warranty

Discussion in '5th Gen Builds (2010-2024)' started by mikeinminnesota, Aug 20, 2021.

1. Aug 20, 2021 at 8:11 PM
    mikeinminnesota

mikeinminnesota [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hello!
    I am about to buy my first 4Runner TRD Pro and am wondering if the dealership’s lifetime extended warranty is a good idea. Not sure if the $3600 price tag is worth it. Anyone signed up for this? Not sure if there is fine print or if this is as good of an idea as it appears.
    Thanks in advance!

2. Aug 20, 2021 at 8:23 PM
    PVT Pablo

PVT Pablo

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Kitsap County, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner TRD Pro
    Warranties are bogus. Unless a very specific list of parts break in a specific way outlined in the warranty contract, they won't fix it.

I'd like to hear of anyone who has purchased and used a dealer purchased warranty with any success.

Personally when I bough my first Tacoma I was suckered into an extended warranty that covered the "electrical system", including wiring, ECU, ect. When my head unit kicked the bucket I intended to use my warranty. I was told that the head unit was specifically excluded. Lame.

Save the $3600 for repairs down the road, it'll be money better spent.

mikeinminnesota[OP] likes this.
  3. Aug 20, 2021 at 8:47 PM
    GrantA

GrantA Enjoying God’s creation

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Fully locked 2020 SR5 Premium
    - GOBI roof rack and ladder - Westcott Design Rock sliders - M.O.R.E. Underbody Skid plates - Dual ARB air compressor & ARB single compressor - LED interior lighting - Ironman 2.0 meter awning and enclosure - Ironman winch with factor55 hook - Ironman foam cell pro suspension - Ironman recovery snatch rope - Ironman recovery traction boards - lilbscustomfab Hybrid Front Bumper - lilbscustomfab BMC - RRW RR7-H Hybrid Beadlock wheels - Nitto Trail Grapplers 285/75/17 M/T - 4.88 gears - ARB front air locker - ARB rear air locker - Hi-lift jack & mount - Sony aftermarket speakers - LASFIT External LED Light Conversion - Center console organizer - Glovebox organizer - ICS phone Mount holder - C4 rear bumper with dual swing arms - C4 gas skid plate - C4 rear diff skid plates
    I personally have used a vehicle warranty before. It went just fine I believe I broke even in the end. If you buy a 4Runner with a lifetime warranty you better prepare to make sure you have them do all scheduled maintenance on your vehicle. If you don’t they will blame lack of maintenance. Also don’t plan on modifying your vehicle as the warranty will cover factory mistakes. Personally if I were you I would take all that into account and the fact the 4Runner 5th Gen has practically been perfected so you might never need that warranty. Read the fine print. The “Lifetime” Warranty and such you will have to decide what works best for you.

4. Aug 21, 2021 at 3:55 AM
    Toy4X4

Toy4X4 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2020 Offroad Prem. 4-runner
    RevTek 3" front- 2" rear leveling, JBA uca's, LED interior lights, Cooper 275-70-17 AT3 LT
    Welcome from neighboring Wisconsin! We bought the extended warranty on a '17 Tacoma, I believe it was $1400. Never used it, we trade every 3 years, probably was NOT a good decision on our part, but I think when you find out the cost of individual components, that's where they sway you into it. Lots of fine print on the extended warranties, hindsight says, like Pvt Pablo; keep the money for repairs that are not covered, kind of a crap shoot but, you've got a 50/50 chance nothing will go wrong.

5. Aug 21, 2021 at 4:38 AM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts New Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    22 LR ORP
    Sherpa Crestone. 4X Innovations Sliders
    I look at it this way, I’m buying a Toyota for a reason. When the sales or finance person tries to sell me the extended warranty, I ask “Should I be buying a different vehicle instead?”
    Things to know about warranty if you decide it’s important.
    1. You can buy a plan near then end of your 3 year/36 month factory.
    2. You don’t need to buy from your dealership, you can shop around other dealerships. 3rd party warranties are even worse, so be careful.

Toy4X4 and mikeinminnesota[OP] like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top