1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Leaking Coolant?

Discussion in '3rd Gen 4Runners (1996-2002)' started by Stormrunner23, Aug 6, 2022.

1. Aug 6, 2022 at 10:04 AM
    Stormrunner23

Stormrunner23 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2000 SR5 4x4 5spd
    About a month ago I was sitting under a shade tree eating my lunch in my 2000 Runner. I left the engine running with the AC on because this Texas heat is stupid this year. As I was leaving, I noticed the temp gauge was reading hot. I limped my way to a close Autozone and let things cool down. The reservoir was empty and there was no coolant that I could see in the radiator. I bought some AutoZone brand premix green and filled the radiator and reservoir. I have been monitoring the reservoir levels and every few days I have to top it off. I am not seeing any spotting on the ground. And I have looked all over directly after driving for any sign of liquid leaks. I am losing it somewhere but have no clue. Any ideas?

2. Aug 6, 2022 at 10:51 AM
    Kwikvette

Kwikvette Kwik Fab

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Multiple
    Couple of things.

Never mix green with the pink stuff.

Did you check your oil? Ensure your oil doesn't have coolant in it, which would mean headgasket failure.

Check your tailpipe, any white smoke? Does it smell sweet? This could mean you're burning coolant which goes back to the above.

If you see no leaks, no coolant in your oil, and you're not burning it off, check at the rear of the motor as you could have a leak (and coolant is being caught elsewhere) at your freeze plugs.

3. Aug 6, 2022 at 6:08 PM
    2Toys

2Toys Imperial Star Cruiser

Member:
    First Name:
    Gordon
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner TRDORP
    a few goodies
    An easy check for a head gasket leak - any auto parts store has a product that can be put in the radiator (with the engine cool enough to safely remove the radiator cap) that will turn color if exhaust gas is detected in the coolant.

Stormrunner23[OP] likes this.
  4. Aug 6, 2022 at 6:20 PM
    Kyblack76

Kyblack76 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Layton, Utah
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD O.R
    Like above mentioned, .... look at your coolant over flow bottle (when it has coolant/water in it) while idling, do you see bubbles?

If your loosing coolant, but arent cleaning the spot off your car port, you may have the dreaded blown head gasket. Its odd you don't have a dash light, usually for a mis-fire on a cylinder or the like.

Stormrunner23[OP] and 2Toys like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top