1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Leaking coolant advice

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by nomad_4runner, Mar 29, 2022.

1. Mar 29, 2022 at 8:15 PM
    nomad_4runner

nomad_4runner [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 V8 4x4 4Runner LTD
    Hey all! So I have a 2009 V8 with about 207K on it. On Sunday, 3/27, I was checking something in the engine bay when I noticed the coolant tank was practically on empty. I immediately bought coolant that was in accordance with what the manual recommends and filled the tank up. Today, 3/29, I decided to check up on it and it was back on empty. Within those two days I drove about 150mi after filling up the coolant. I went under and took this photo. Now Im not knowledgeable when it comes to mechanic issues. After quick googling and looking at this leak, it seems that maybe the clamp is just loose and the hose is not completely attached to the radiator? Due to me noticing this late in the afternoon, I wasn’t able to have it checked out. If any of y'all have experience with this, is this an easy fix that I myself might be able to do?

33829274-BDCD-437C-9055-53F263E487E5.jpg

2. Mar 29, 2022 at 8:17 PM
    nomad_4runner

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 V8 4x4 4Runner LTD
    I should also add that on 3/26 I did take the car out on some dirt roads. I don’t believe this car had ever been driven off a paved street. I do recall hitting a rut a little too hard so that might’ve loosened this up or damaged it.

3. Mar 30, 2022 at 8:48 AM
    iamincrediboy

iamincrediboy New Member

Member:
    South FL
    Vehicle:
    2005 V8 4Runner Limited - Silver
    FYI coolant is colored - green, pink, red, etc, and dries very crusty. Makes it super easy to identify when there is a leak, and is designed that way on purpose. Your leak looks like an oil. However if youre saying you or PO just put in water for your coolant thats a different story...

any background info to convey there?

Spare Parts likes this.
  4. Mar 30, 2022 at 10:42 AM
    TN_FunRunner

TN_FunRunner New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    W. TN
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD ORP, 2007 SR5 4WD
    Looks like the hose needs to be pushed up more. That little raised portion is the spot that the hose needs to be at. I would loosen the clamp and push the hose up a bit and then retighten. Clean up and then monitor.

D2D01D2A-D18E-4FB3-976B-A488F881EA4F.jpg

5. Mar 30, 2022 at 12:36 PM
    nomad_4runner

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 V8 4x4 4Runner LTD
    No water was used to fill the coolant tank.
    So i put in Peak performance coolant thats 50/50 and recommended for this 4runner. Yea i didn’t see any pink crust, which the fluid is pink when fresh. The fluid is like you see, a light brownish color. The temperature per the dashboard is right in the middle. I was mistakingly identifying the white coolant reservoir tank as just the coolant tank. I didn’t know that was the reservoir. Still it shouldn’t be going from F to L within 2 days right?

6. Mar 30, 2022 at 12:38 PM
    nomad_4runner

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 V8 4x4 4Runner LTD
    ok so I did just that! Soon as I unplugged the hose, a lot of light brownish fluid came out. Not sure why since the coolant itself is pink. Here’s what it looked like as I unhooked it. I readjusted the hose to where you said and it does look better. Now I just need a proper funnel for burping the radiator and hope the leak stops.

593C16FC-E353-4D90-BF86-C1F0DCA1FF43.jpg

7. Mar 30, 2022 at 3:52 PM
    TN_FunRunner

TN_FunRunner New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    W. TN
    Vehicle:
    It looks like it was straight water in there. The light brownish color is likely from a rusty radiator. You need to give it a good flush.
    I hope that it was only leaking from that hose and that is now resolved.

8. Mar 30, 2022 at 6:19 PM
    nomad_4runner

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 V8 4x4 4Runner LTD
    i believe you are right on that it was straight up water in the radiator. Secured the hose and tightened up the clamp. Took it for a drive and so far so good, no leaks! Took it to a quick oil change location and they quoted me at $120 for a radiator flush. Is this something I’d be able to do? I’ve never worked on cars so this was a first. Wonder if the process is similar to flushing.

9. Mar 30, 2022 at 6:29 PM
    TN_FunRunner

TN_FunRunner New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    W. TN
    Vehicle:
    I’d steer clear of the quick oil change places, I wouldn’t let them touch it- too many horror stories out there, instead I would find a good independent shop in your area. It’s definitely not hard to do. I bet there are a lot of vids on YouTube. You rig has the 4.7 V8 which was used in the Tundra, sequoia and some Lexus models. So should be easy to find.

Machinebuilder likes this.
  10. Mar 30, 2022 at 6:32 PM
    TN_FunRunner

TN_FunRunner New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    W. TN
    Vehicle:
    Just thought of this: Do you know if the timing belt has been replaced? if not I would get that done ASAP. When it is done the water pump is typically replaced so you could have it flushed at that time.

Machinebuilder likes this.
  11. Mar 30, 2022 at 7:19 PM
    nomad_4runner

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 V8 4x4 4Runner LTD
    Yea! So according to a sticker on the engine bay, timing belt was replaced at about 139K. From what I read it should be done every 90K so I suppose I have about 22K miles left before it needs changing. The belt looks fine to me, no cracks.

TN_FunRunner[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Apr 28, 2022 at 12:35 PM
    PhantomTweak

PhantomTweak New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    OREGON
    Vehicle:
    1999 4Runner, bone stock
    None. Bone Stock. EXCEPT: Brushguard, tow hitch, both welded to the frame. It's good to have friends and a fully equipped garage!
    Toyota looks at the available data they get on things like the average time the timing belt fails. Often they use data from dealerships, things like that. They have a formula to say...well the belts failed, on average, at 120,000 miles. So, to be safe, we'll set the change out interval at 90,000. Probably, that;s the 50% point on the bell curve of failure. Maybe further.

So, the belt may LOOK perfectly fine come the 90,000 interval. BUT, it's getting towords the AVERAGE failure interval. So are the water pump, radiator, coolant, thermostat, and all the other parts that get changed at that mileage. That way they are, hopefully, keeping the failure rate to a minimum. On AVERAGE.

Also, different manufacturers products, belts, radiators, water pumps, and so on, are of different qualities. One manufacturer's belt, for example, may fail, on average, at 140,000, another's may fail, on average at 110,000 miles. Again, Toyota looks at these averages and says that at 90,000 you're probably fairly safe from failure. On average.

Environment the truck is exposed to can be a factor as well. Is the truck exposed to 110° daily? That's pretty hard on rubber and plastics. Trust me. Or is it kept in a heated garage in N Dakota, and only driven in the summer time, say, average temp of 65°? It'll last longer there. Again, it's all on average.

So yeah, your belt may look to be nearly new, no cracks or wear seen. But a guy in Yuma's belt, same driving habits, same mileage, etc, may look worn and near breaking when the 90,000 mark rolls around. I'd replace it, and the other stuff, at the recommended intervals Toyota has come up with. They're usually a pretty safe bet.

Just me, though :)
    Pat☺

nomad_4runner[OP] likes this.
  13. May 5, 2022 at 8:42 AM
    MAXIM

MAXIM New Member

Member:
    Wow!
    I see 2 problems:
    1. As mentioned earlier - Coolant shouldn't be brownish
    2. Toyota does not use worm drive hose clamps on plastic radiator hose connections

Solution:
    1. Get a new radiator hose and proper clamp and make sure radiator plastic connection isn't cracked already (the reason why you don't use worm screw clamp is because it does not expand with heat and will crack your plastic pipe connection).
    2 Drain radiator and engine and refill with 50/50 Antifreeze/Water mix (may have to do it few times or flush to get rid of old stuff)

One more thing, for your sake I hope it isn't trace amounts of oil/exhaust in your coolant. Just to be safe do head gasket leak test which tests for exhaust gases present in coolant and indicates blown head gasket). Easy test and gives you some assurance or explanation why your coolant looks like that (search Youtube on how to do it).
    Good luck.

nomad_4runner[OP] likes this.
  14. May 12, 2022 at 12:46 PM
    PhantomTweak

PhantomTweak New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    OREGON
    Vehicle:
    1999 4Runner, bone stock
    None. Bone Stock. EXCEPT: Brushguard, tow hitch, both welded to the frame. It's good to have friends and a fully equipped garage!
    Just so you know, you don't NEED a special funnel to burp the coolant system once it's been flushed and filled. Just need a hill, or even a pair of ramps for the front wheels. Point is to get the fill point, usually the radiator cap, to be the highest point in the system. That way, as the air circulates in the system, it finds the highest point, and away it goes.
    If you notice, there's really two tightnesses you can crank the radiator cap down to. I use the first to allow easy flow from the radiator to/from the recovery tank. That way, air and fluid flow to the recovery tank, and only coolant flows back. The air is allowed to bubble overboard easily. I overfill the recovery tank, and by the time I've run to truck for 20-30 min, it's down to a relatively normal level. Air out, coolant back in. Let everything cool down again, tighten the radiator cap down to the second, tighter, setting, and away you go.
    Make sure you have the cabin temperature controls set to full hot! Makes sure the air is forced out of the cabin radiators.

Easy to flush the cooling system. Drain it out, fill it up with water and a coolant flush chemical, if desired, run it a few minutes, drain it out again. After the coolant flush has circulated for the specified time, drain the system again, fill it with just water, run it a few minutes, and repeat it a few times. Fill it up with the correct coolant/DISTILLED water mix, and burp it. Awaaay you go. I won't say quick, as you need to let it run long enough to open the thermostat each time, but well worth the time invested.

Have fun!
    Pat☺

15. May 12, 2022 at 2:05 PM
    glwood54

glwood54 Stop making me buy stuff!

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR, KDSS, RSG sliders, Eibach shocks, 265/70 Falken Wildpeaks
    Are the compression spring type radiator hose clamps generally available at auto parts stores?

Products Discussed in

To Top