1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Knock sensor replacement

Discussion in '2nd Gen 4Runners (1990-1995)' started by mattdillon26, Mar 3, 2019.

1. Mar 3, 2019 at 5:36 PM
    mattdillon26

mattdillon26 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Vehicle:
    1994 green 4Runner
    Ok just bought a 1994 4Runner. It cranks up and idles ok. If I rev it up in park it will rev but seems like it isn’t running on all cylinders. When I go to drive it it won’t get over 30 with the accelerator to the floor. I pulled the codes and I’m getting code 43 and code 52. 43 is no starter signal to ecu and 52 is the dreadful knock sensor. I’ve tried the search function on here and can’t seem to find anything directly related to either of these. I found a right up on another site about knock sensor replacement and that it’s most likely the pig tail. So I figure while I’ve got it that far tore down I will go ahead and put a new sensor in. Any advice from first hand experience on doing that? And where should I start on the code 43 no starter signal to ecu? Could that be wires that are wore and corroded or grounding out that aren’t supposed to be? And any advice on fixing that? Thanks in advance.

2. Mar 3, 2019 at 5:47 PM
    HoBoDanny

HoBoDanny Dude...

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2004 SR5 V6 4WD 4Runner
    RCI Skid Plate CBI Ditch Light Brackets Hankook DynaPro ATM RF10 265 70R17 113T Tires 1.25” Wheel Spacers TPMS Bypass Mod Hydrocarbon Filter Removed Merca decal 2” leveling kit front only Black headlights
    No first hand experience but I would start by checking all wiring and grounds before replacing anything.

Products Discussed in

To Top