1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Keep it or sell it?

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Agent_Outside, Sep 22, 2020.

1. Sep 22, 2020 at 12:59 PM
    Agent_Outside

Agent_Outside [OP] A Guy A Girl and A Trail

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Built 2011 T4R Limited
    I keep going back and forth in keeping my 4Runner or not. I’m really torn on what to do.

I currently have a 2011 4Runner Limited that’s pretty heavily modified, visually it looks relatively subtle but there’s a lot of stuff with a decent amount of it being custom. It’s an early 5th Gen so no air injection pump or TSS. The Limited has the full time 4WD, smart key, homelink, auto dimming rear view mirror, auto headlights, and dual zone climate control, all things I want. It has 130,000+ miles on it without a single real problem so far - I had to replace a taillight housing and currently the horn doesn’t work because of the clock spring, beyond that just maintenance and wear items. Never a check engine light, never a break down, never a no start, it’s never been towed, and it’s never shown any signs of slowing down. It has about a million rock chips on the front and it has about $8,000 is very subtle but widespread hail damage - you can’t see any of it unless it catches the light just right. It’s been a workhorse so speak, lots of relatively hard use but it’s been over maintained beyond what any reasonable personal would do (basically oil every 5K, brake fluid, coolant, and steering fluid changed annually, all front, center rear diffs and trans fluid every 15K, etc). I don’t typically need to daily drive anything anymore (unrelated to COVID), this isn’t likely to change but I get a ton of time off so I still put a decent amount of miles on it every year. If I keep it I’ll probably throw some money at it to freshen it up for the long term- new lower front control arms, suspension bushings and linkages, clock spring, fix the broken drivers side mirror housing, maybe address some mirror surface rust starting at a couple paint chips, possibly rebuild and regear the diffs.

My wife and I were debating about purchasing another brand new 5th gen when the 6th gen eventually starts to show up at dealers so they are discounted a bit. The thinking is I can transfer everything I’ve done on the current 4Runner to a new 4Runner and basically just reset the timeline and lifespan of the vehicle I’ve already built. Buying brand new from day one, I could start undercoating it from the time it’s new, I could pull off the plastic sill trims and clear bra under them where the plastic tends to rub through the paint and cause rust, things like that. I’d still like the creature comforts I listed at the beginning but full time 4WD isn’t as important to me anymore as a AWD Highlander with snow tires will be the new drive the mountain passes in the snow to go skiing vehicle.

I could try to get another Limited and get all the things I want. I could get an TRD Off-Road Premium and get most of what I want while trading full time 4WD for a rear locker, or get the TRD Pro (I really like the current lunar rock color) which has evolved a bit and isn’t such a blatant rip-off money grab anymore - selling off the shocks, new style wheels, roof rack, etc could move its cost much closer to the Off Road while getting the color I want and it would add back in some of the extra formerly Limited-only features that you can’t get in an Off Road, plus you’d go from great resale value to seemingly unrealistically high resale value in the process but realistically that’s not relevant.

Spending $50K is a LOT of money to more or less make a lateral move to basically the same thing I already have, but with CarPlay, blue interior backlighting, led headlights, and a front end that looks like mine went through a pencil sharpener. Some of my mods would require further modification to move them over, for example my electrical build as setup now would interfere with the air pump. Colorado has the highest frequency of cracked windshields in the country and the windshield mounted camera would have to be recalibrated every year when it gets its annual windshield replacement. I don’t need or want TSS functionality. You also run the low risk of getting a lemon or having problems with the new one. I’d don’t even want to try to deal with a dealership regarding warranty repairs with a bunch of mods done.

I’m good with this platform, I accept its shortcomings and I’m willing to live with it. It’s a great reliable platform that does what I need it to do now - replacing my 4R with a new 4R would be for the long haul, it would be our adventure rig for the next 15+ years.

thoughts?

2. Sep 22, 2020 at 1:19 PM
    Dillusion

Dillusion New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    KYle
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR
    My thought is this is a decision you and only you can make.

And the wife of course.

3. Sep 22, 2020 at 1:20 PM
    Agent_Outside

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Built 2011 T4R Limited
    In the end yes, just looking for outside perspective.

4. Sep 22, 2020 at 1:22 PM
    glwood54

glwood54 Stop making me buy stuff!

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR, KDSS, RSG sliders, Eibach shocks, 265/70 Falken Wildpeaks
    When I sold my 2013 Tacoma 4x4, which had -0- issues from day one, and my 2004 Wrangler Rubicon, which had a few minor issues, I wondered if I was doing the right thing to sell them and buy my '19 4R. I've enjoyed every minute with the 4R, and while I slightly miss those two vehicles from time to time, I don't regret my decision. One thing I have come to realize, though, is after pretty much a lifetime of trading vehicles on a whim, I am going to see if I can actually wear out a vehicle for once. My 4R does everything I need and want, and I see no reason to ever upgrade to anything else, or replace it for a newer version as long as it does what I need. It most likely will outlast me.

ATCRich and SlvrSlug like this.
  5. Sep 22, 2020 at 1:27 PM
    Mtbpsych

Mtbpsych New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    This late in the game I’d wait until the 6th gen comes out and see if the power train will be worth it, and if it is drive yours until 1-2 years after 6th gen comes out. And if it isn’t worth it get a late 5th gen as their value will probably hold up better.

newtotoyota, 7385 and glwood54 like this.
  6. Sep 22, 2020 at 1:47 PM
    Singleminded

Singleminded New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    That'd be my vote too. To me this looks like a "If it ain't broke don't fix it" scenario. You have a great truck and no good reason to think it's gonna turn into a pumpkin any time soon. Prob has many, many more strong years ahead of it. Plus, financially, everything you get from that truck is more or less gravy now because it's already returned most or all of your investment.

There's also the risk that you ditch this to get something new that doesn't work out, then you're bumming. So I'd want a compelling reason to take the risk.

As a general proposition, I'm an advocate for adding vehicles to scratch whatever itch you have, instead of replacing. If you can afford it of course. To me, the ideal situation is keeping a solid proven vehicle with a lot of utility, just like your current Runner, and adding fun new stuff to the stable as you're able, to see how it goes. Something new could end up proving itself better than the old Runner, in which case you could sell it. Or you could keep both and have one as a backup. Again, this assumes one can afford to do this and has the space too. But the point remains the same. If I could coin a new phrase: "If it ain't broke don't fix it, just add a new one."

Toffees likes this.
  7. Sep 22, 2020 at 2:07 PM
    Agent_Outside

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Built 2011 T4R Limited
    There is ZERO chance of an 6th gen. If nothing else, I have to much invested in the 5th gen platform to have to start over.

8. Sep 22, 2020 at 2:11 PM
    Mtbpsych

Mtbpsych New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    If that’s the case I’d just go and get a new 5th gen then:notsure:

9. Sep 22, 2020 at 2:21 PM
    Jynarik

Jynarik I like boobies

Member:
    Austin Texas
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd pro voodoo
    Take advantage of the market now if you can. Our trucks are hard to come by and they’re selling for top dollar, but that also means you can get too trade in.

10. Sep 22, 2020 at 2:33 PM
    Oldtoyotaguy

Oldtoyotaguy Paid cash for it

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Toyota 4 Runner Offroad
    Pretty thorough analysis, Agent_Outside, whatever decision you make it will be the right one. I would make my decision with a view to the long term, and whether there are features that you’d like that you don’t have. You mentioned some of them - colour, locker and there are others like KDSS, transfer shifter. Pros do hold their value as the high end model but they lack KDSS which would be a deal breaker for me, of course others may not value a system like that. You used the term “lemon” which I’ve never heard in the context of a 4 Runner. Has there ever been even one? The use of a dealership is very optional with a 4 Runner because they’re basically not needed.
    Bottom line - I’d go with my heart and get a Pro in the colour you like. Colour is not something that moves me much, but I understand how much it means to others. Go for it and don’t worry about the cost. Over 15-20 years, it’s very minimal.

11. Sep 22, 2020 at 2:57 PM
    xyzzy

xyzzy New Member

Member:
    At the lake
    Vehicle:
    2019 Barc. Red TRD ORP
    There just may be a lemon here, the dealer is even thinking so according to the OP - very frustrating for the OP.

Oldtoyotaguy[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Sep 22, 2020 at 3:00 PM
    Oldtoyotaguy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Wow sounds more like a Stephen King story than a lemon, lol. Seriously though, no one needs hassles like that with a new car.

13. Sep 22, 2020 at 3:07 PM
    trlhiker

trlhiker Lazy Bum

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1992 4Runner SR5 V6 4X4
    If you have the money then get a new one and transfer what you got and then sell the old one but with the hail damage, you will have to reduce the price significantly I would think.

14. Sep 22, 2020 at 3:09 PM
    xyzzy

xyzzy New Member

Member:
    At the lake
    Vehicle:
    2019 Barc. Red TRD ORP
    To respond to the OP, I'd keep the existing 4Runner because I like to keep my vehicles until they die or I get rid of them for a really good reason, but I have made some (stupid in hindsight) exceptions though.
    I sold my FJ60 after owning it for 20 years (second owner) because I just couldn't bear to drive it when there was a chance that the DOT would salt the roads (and it would start serious rusting), so it sat dormant for long periods each year - it needed to go to a good home where it could still be used as it should.
    I gave away (sold for $1) my 1993 F-250 extended cab with the 460ci that I bought new and owned for over 20 years to a good friend of a good friend who was putting his life back together and needed wheels and cargo capacity for his new job and career.

Oldtoyotaguy likes this.
  15. Sep 22, 2020 at 3:26 PM
    Agent_Outside

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Built 2011 T4R Limited

That would be the plan. If we get a new one I’ll probably put 50% down, then keep whatever I could get out of the old one. Ot has 2 insurance claims (parking lot hit while parked banged up the front bumper cover. Plus the hail damage. Obviously value would be significantly reduced because of it. At the time it’s nice having a vehicle with plenty of cosmetic wear and tear because it makes me so much less anal about keeping pristine and perfect. I rarely even wash it soap lol. I feel like if I bought another brand new one I’d always be worrying about hail, keeping it in the garage, trail rash and pinstripes, keeping it freshly cleaned and waxed all the time etc.

Oldtoyotaguy likes this.
  16. Sep 23, 2020 at 4:58 AM
    wmdtech

wmdtech Send MOD Money!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Mid TN
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD ORP
    275/70r17 KO2 Eibach Stage 1 JBA UCAs
    If you can transfer over what you've put into it then I would look at a new one. I hate TSS, its the reason I traded my 18 Taco in on one of my two 4Runners. If you can find a good 18-19 I would do it and start making the parts/mods transfer happen. (Maybe try some KO2s again)

17. Sep 23, 2020 at 6:45 AM
    Oldtoyotaguy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    It’ll be easy to sell the old one. Hail damage just gives it a little depreciation value to have buyers clamour for it.

18. Sep 23, 2020 at 7:23 AM
    glwood54

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    That's the first vehicle I thought of when @Oldtoyotaguy asked that question. Hard to believe...

19. Sep 23, 2020 at 7:26 AM
    glwood54

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    That's the one drawback of a new vehicle. You tend to want to keep it new as long as possible. I'm trying to get over that, and not let that stuff bother me anymore...

Oldtoyotaguy likes this.
  20. Sep 23, 2020 at 7:52 AM
    Oldtoyotaguy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Yeah I don’t mind wear and tear on the trail, it’s the parking lot scrapes and dents that bother me.

21. Sep 23, 2020 at 8:20 AM
    fajitas21

fajitas21 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 ORP
    Custom scratches
    There is something to be said about mild damage that takes away your worry about it being pristine. Powertrain, the new truck is the same as your current truck, but even coming from a 2016 > 2020, the tech is nice. The Fox suspension on the Pro is VERY legit, and after lifted with the Eibach springs on my friends AG 2020 Pro, it was really nice. I also said the Pro was overvalued because you could buy an OR Premium and build it for less than a Pro, mainly because you'd have to toss the Pro suspension to do a lift....but now that's not the case, and I'm here to attest it's really good and I'm a touch jealous.

22. Sep 23, 2020 at 8:23 AM
    fajitas21

fajitas21 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 ORP
    Custom scratches
    One final comment. I bought the 5th gen specifically because I knew the 6th Gen was coming in the next few years. I love the idea of a new powertrain, as this one is not the most modern, but at the same time I wanted to capture a 5th Gen, because they are a really bulletproof platform, and I wanted the final evolution of that platform before they moved on to a 6th Gen. At this point, I know I have a solid workhorse, and in a few years, if the 6th Gen blows me away, I'll have the ability to choose, instead of panicking and trying to find a 5th gen last minute and my options being limited, or going to the used market (and paying new prices).

2Toys likes this.
  23. Sep 23, 2020 at 12:02 PM
    Toffees

Toffees Stuff and things

Member:
    First Name:
    Micah
    LA
    Vehicle:
    16 LE
    Not sure I understand the question. And with no 6th gen announced I don't understand the context. You've got a working, paid off truck that you enjoy driving that fits your needs? Check back with us in a year and let's discuss.

24. Sep 23, 2020 at 12:15 PM
    DreamsComeTrue

DreamsComeTrue New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Venture
    My advice is to wait few years until new 4runner comes out, they do a TRD version of it and then we get some initial feedback and THEN get it. For now enjoy what you have, it’s a great truck and 130k is nothing for a 4runner. Also in today’s economy it’s better to wait spending money when not necessary.

25. Sep 23, 2020 at 12:43 PM
    Agent_Outside

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Built 2011 T4R Limited

Not officially announced no, but at 11 model years old it’s obviously going to be coming sooner than latter.

I didn’t specify the context behind the discussion right now but it’s a few things. It was a casual thought I had been kicking around, but what really propelled it front and center right now, is a shipping mistake. I have an SSO Trailgater rear bumper ordered. They messed up and shipped me the wrong one, they sent one with the integrated hitch when I ordered the bolt on hitch. They offered to knock some money off and let me keep the integrated one, or they would redirect the shipment back to them and get me the correct bumper.

The integrated hitch maintains the factory 5,000 lbs of towing capacity but you have to cut and notch the rear of the frame to install it - no problem if you’re keeping it very long term. The bolt on hitch reduces the towing capacity to 3500 lbs but requires no cutting or frame modification. I don’t want to cut the current frame to install the integrated bumper just to sell it in a year or two, with a cut frame - I just wouldn’t feel right about not disclosing that. There are some more mods that are coming as well that I would potentially hold off on if I was replacing the vehicle. I don’t want to cut up the front bumper cover to install a plate bumper and winch, just to try to find a used bumper cover and have it painted to res install of I sell it. With our family of 3 turning into 4 in a couple months the 4Runner may be a bit small, there’s a real possibility of doing an off road trailer and moving the tent to that and freeing up space on the roof rack - I will regear if I’m going to drag a trailer offroad and if your going that far you might as well do lockers while your in the pumpkins. I don’t want to regear and do lockers just to sell the vehicle in the relatively near future.

If you couldn’t tell from my adventure thread and my electrical build for example, I’m a planner. I like to have the big picture in mind and before I make moves without a clear direction in mind.

2Toys and Toffees[QUOTED] like this.
  26. Sep 23, 2020 at 12:48 PM
    Toffees

Toffees Stuff and things

Member:
    First Name:
    Micah
    LA
    Vehicle:
    16 LE
    I'm a planner as well, although I don't tinker much. I don't know much about your family situation, but I would hold onto yours and swap for a 3rd row later when you may need it, unless you've planned that sort of event out of your future.

27. Sep 23, 2020 at 1:03 PM
    Huzer21

Huzer21 New Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2011 GX 460
    Usually, once I start kicking around ideas in my head (when it comes to vehicles) I've already moved on to the next vehicle. I'd say get the TRDP in the color you want, and move everything over.

DreamsComeTrue likes this.
  28. Sep 23, 2020 at 1:13 PM
    Agent_Outside

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Built 2011 T4R Limited

I don’t need a 3rd row, we have a new Highlander for family duties. The 4Runner is basically just our adventure vehicle. The more room is in reference to the overland and camping trips. We fit the 3 of us and all our stuff just fine now with a portion of the rear seat folded flat.

If it’s 4 of us and the rear seat can’t fold because it’s in use, we’re not going to fit 4 of us and all our gear in less space than we have not. So a trailer is a very real possibility.

29. Sep 24, 2020 at 8:08 AM
    Toffees

Toffees Stuff and things

Member:
    First Name:
    Micah
    LA
    Vehicle:
    16 LE
    None of the 5th Gen 4Rs are going to fit all of your gear; the Pro offers nothing the OR doesn't offer, the only variant you might find useful in the future is the 3rd row. Tell your vendor to give you what you ordered; their mistake and they can eat bolts. I don't see a need for you to swap out your serviceable rig for another vehicle that provides (at best) marginal gains.

Then again, if you have the $$ and no other constraints, be happy with what you drive and see if you can get something that makes you happier.

I wouldn't swap it out, and if I'm in your spot then (for me) either it's a passing desire to trade that will go away or I really want a different vehicle altogether, and swapping for another 4R only spends $$ in bad places. But you may have a different view and use.

30. Sep 24, 2020 at 9:03 AM
    Agent_Outside

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Built 2011 T4R Limited
    The new Pro has a few things you can’t get with Off Road Premium (not including the regular Pro stuff they are known for obviously) like auto headlights, LED high beams, premium JBL audio, dual zone climate control, heated side mirror glass, and I’m not 100% on this but I believe the Pro gets smart key now and Off Road still does not.

If you can get all those extras you used to need a Limited to get, plus an exclusive color, and factor in the Pro stuff I’d take off and sell to narrow the price gap and I already better stuff... the Off Road the Pro is significantly more compelling now than it ever has been when it was an Offroad with a few port installed accessories.

Products Discussed in

To Top