1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

keep engine but new transmission and gearing, is this,possible

Discussion in '6th Gen 4Runners (2025+)' started by Late Life Crisis, Jan 27, 2023.

1. Jan 27, 2023 at 3:52 PM
    Late Life Crisis

Late Life Crisis [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 Luna rock 4runner
    none yet
    Personally, if I was in charge, I’d introduce the new model alongside a heritage version of the 5th gen, at least for a few years. With 120k units annually, surely there is still a customer base looking for the older models. And you don’t want the used market taking precedence over a new product.

post from a thread just below my thread

got me to wonder if they kept the engine n/a bulletproof one that it is

AND

put in a 8 speed transmission with better rear end gearing to give it about 24-25 mpg USA or 30 canuck might be the answer
    agree 2 models might be the answer without changing the body style could be a winner

‘Toyota does not really care about the North American market as it is small and they care about their own market for suv and econoboxes at present

so my question is it possible to do a 8 speed and better hiway gears to achieve MILAGE without sacrificing too much?

just ordered a couple of weeks ago a 2023 TRD OFF ROAD Luna rock

just wondering

2. Jan 27, 2023 at 3:56 PM
    Trail Runnah

Trail Runnah New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T4R Trail Edition
    Stock
    I think it was back in 2012 when the Jeep Grand Cherokee went from a 5 speed transmission to an 8-speed transmission with the same motor. Both performance and MPG increased.

I think it could be possible to get better mileage out of the 4.0 with a more modern transmission and better gearing, but that's something that Toyota probably should have done back in 2015 or 2016.

5six, peter2772000 and Steely123 like this.
  3. Jan 28, 2023 at 9:31 AM
    trlhiker

trlhiker Lazy Bum

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1992 4Runner SR5 V6 4X4
    Way too late for just a tranny change. The 5th Gen is now 14 years old. No way would they put the money and time into a redesign and keep the the 5th gen design around as 1 trim.

4. Jan 28, 2023 at 9:48 AM
    Mass4runner

Mass4runner New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD ORP
    You'll never see that kind of mileage just changing the transmission and gearing. When other car makers switched from 5/6 speed autos to 8/10 speeds they saw a 1-2 mpg increase, if that.

5. Jan 28, 2023 at 10:00 AM
    tblt44

tblt44 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Tampa
    Vehicle:
    2021 4 runner
    N/A
    I can't believe they haven't gone to electric fans to free up some horses and less engine noise, not to mention more room up front

RumHamRunner73 likes this.
  6. Feb 3, 2023 at 3:29 AM
    jharkin

jharkin New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Boston suburbs
    Vehicle:
    2023 Black Pro
    Won’t happen. They re not going to keep an entire extra production line tooled to make a “heritage” edition that will sell very little once the new one is out. Big money loser there.

And keeping the old engine would seriously hurt them hitting the legally mandated CAFE targets. Also a non starter.

7. Feb 3, 2023 at 3:33 AM
    jharkin

jharkin New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Boston suburbs
    Vehicle:
    2023 Black Pro
    Very little savings to be had there. The engine driven fan is already thermostatically clutched and doesn’t run all the time at full speed. Most electric fans you see are on transverse engine vehicles (FWD) and that’s a packaging necessity.

the bigger savings come from things like electric power steering, electric AC and smart systems that only engage the alternator when the battery needs a top off.

5thToy likes this.
  8. Feb 3, 2023 at 3:36 AM
    jharkin

jharkin New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Boston suburbs
    Vehicle:
    2023 Black Pro
    +1 And assuming the top gear ratios are the same most of those gains are in the city rating- around town driving where it doesn’t rev as high between shifts. Highway rating when you are running a constant speed in high gear doesn’t really improve unless they add a higher ratio.

Products Discussed in

To Top