1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

JL to 4R?

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by glwood54, May 16, 2020.

1. May 16, 2020 at 2:01 PM
    glwood54

glwood54 [OP] Stop making me buy stuff!

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR, KDSS, RSG sliders, Eibach shocks, 265/70 Falken Wildpeaks
    I know the Wrangler JL has only been around a couple of years, but am curious if anyone moved from a JL to a 5th gen 4R...

I thought about shopping for a JL when looking at 4Rs, but had such good luck with Toyotas (although I had 13 Jeeps over the years, but no JL), I didn't really pursue that avenue, even though the JL has more interior upgrades, solid axles, and more easily fits larger tires...

Last edited: May 17, 2020
  2. May 17, 2020 at 5:16 AM
    brownbear

brownbear Relax

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    OB Fl
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner TRD OFF ROAD
    NFab side steps TRD matte blk wheels K&N airfilter, go rhino rear hitch step,
    Welcome from FL.

3. May 17, 2020 at 5:36 AM
    Chris In Milwaukee

Chris In Milwaukee New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium, Magnetic Grey Metallic
    It’s a tough decision. I was on the fence between the two but chose the 4Runner. Seems like I got more comfort for the money. Capability is still an unknown because I haven’t taken mine anywhere yet. But I haven’t owned a Jeep, either, so no points of reference.

4. May 17, 2020 at 8:06 AM
    mcat707

mcat707 MURDERED TRD

Member:
    NOR*CAL - Solano County
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRDPro - Attitude Black Metallic 218
    From the forum threads, YT Videos, Blogs, etc. that I have read and watched comparing the two, most that gravitate to the 4Runner are more concerned with reliability. Back in my younger years, about 25 years ago I owned a modded 1993 Jeep Wrangler with the inline 6cyl 4.0L (I have no experiences with the newer Jeep gens). From what I can remember the my transmission wouldn’t go into gear and I had to get it towed to a repair shop. Granted this was the older Wrangler generation and I am not sure how the transmissions compare to whats out there now or maybe with the 33” Super Swampers, 4:56 gearing, winch & armor weight I had, could have contributed to the transmission failure, I don’t know? I just remember paying a hefty repair bill at the time.

Just a few months ago, I bought some slightly used set of 285 Falken Wildpeak M/T tires from a guy who said he had a 2020 Jeep Wrangler with under 6K miles who had to lemon on law it because it left him stranded 3 times and other minor issues. He said the engine wouldn’t start and was a common problem on the Jeep forums. With that said, he still loved the Wrangler and purchased another 2020 Wrangler hoping he didn’t have the same issues as his previous purchase.

5. May 17, 2020 at 8:09 AM
    thirdyota

thirdyota shouldn't be trusted

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    2017 T4R TRD Off Road Premium
    I love the way the Rubicon Unlimiteds look.
    That being said... I'd kick my own ass if I bought a Fiat.

I'd just never trust the reliability...or lack thereof.

7385 likes this.
  6. May 17, 2020 at 8:36 AM
    fajitas21

fajitas21 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 ORP
    Custom scratches
    It's the classic Ford vs Chevy, Toyota vs Jeep, Rep vs Dem.

Honestly both will be great fun, and since you've owned a bunch of Jeeps then I can give you some reference.

4Runner will not beat a Jeep hands down offroad. 33's are easy to get on there with some lifting and trimming, but a Jeep can go straight to 35's about as easy.

JLs reliability are still unfortunately in question.

Are you doing stuff that 35's + are capable of? I've wheels with plenty of Jeeps on 35's and 37/38's and picked smart lines, used my armor, and did fine. I tend to not do 4 and 5 star trails typically. However, the majority of things out there in the wild aren't that hard, unless you're in Moab. Speaking of, stock 4Runners can do Finns and Things, so that level. Modded easily do Hell's revenge because it's a tire traction / driver experience issue.

If these seem up your alley, then the comfort and reliability of a 4Runner (plus a ton of aftermarket support too, almost as good as Jeeps), will get you a Jeep-like experience you can enjoy, because I've been in some pretty remote places and other than worrying about a flat tire, that's all I care about. The truck will get me home.

If you want to remove your doors....then check out the upcoming Bronco :)

To your question OP:
    Most move from a Jeep or Tacoma to a 4Runner. Rarely the other way, but it does happen. Few return to complain about the 4Runner as is common on many other forums when someone who's disenchanted with a product leaves.

7. May 17, 2020 at 9:46 AM
    glwood54

glwood54 [OP] Stop making me buy stuff!

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR, KDSS, RSG sliders, Eibach shocks, 265/70 Falken Wildpeaks
    My question was not whether anyone had moved from a 4R to a JL, though that may have happened. Upon reading through some JL foums, you'll hear of that, mostly due to how those particular few individuals thought the 4R was "too boring", or that the top wasn't removable, etc. 99% of those who've owned both will admit the better reliability of the 4R was without qustion, but the jury's still out on the JL due to the recent release.

I was simply curious whether anyone on here had owned a JL, then decided to replace it with their current 4R.

I wouldn't mind having another TJ just to tool around town with the top down, one that I didn't care whether it got dinged up or stayed particularly clean all the time...they can be fun.

alittleoff likes this.
  8. May 17, 2020 at 9:50 AM
    DallasTRDPro

DallasTRDPro New Member

Member:
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    2021 Honda CRV...UGH!
    Jeeps are way more capable. 4R's ride way better. Whatever is most important to you.

BAD WLF likes this.
  9. May 17, 2020 at 10:19 AM
    mcat707

mcat707 MURDERED TRD

Member:
    NOR*CAL - Solano County
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRDPro - Attitude Black Metallic 218
    I would think that most JL owners that sell or trade in to get a T4R are either fed up with the issues or problems they are having on the JL or just like to look or comfort ride of the T4R. For the most part Jeep guys are loyal to the brand and stick with it. Same goes for the Toyota fan base.

10. May 17, 2020 at 11:30 AM
    DallasTRDPro

DallasTRDPro New Member

Member:
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    2021 Honda CRV...UGH!
    I bought a 4R because I had death wobble in my Jeep. I also wanted a better riding vehicle which the 4R does. However, my Jeep steering wheel never shimmied at 50-60mph. Its so annoying that my 4R does. If I had my choice I prefer to drive the 4R on a daily basis, but I preferred the Jeep for off road.

Chris In Milwaukee and mcat707 like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top