1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

JBA UCAs

Discussion in 'General 4Runner Talk' started by flachtrey, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Jan 16, 2020 at 3:51 PM
    flachtrey

flachtrey [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    trey
    What grease should I use on my JBA UCAs?
    and what is the process of greasing them?

2. Jan 17, 2020 at 2:55 AM
    WallyT4R

WallyT4R New Member

Member:
    https://jbaoffroad.com/trails/faq/

I put one to two squeezes on the gun every 5000 miles. I do it when I rotate the tires

3. Jan 17, 2020 at 4:05 AM
    Agent_Outside

Agent_Outside A Guy A Girl and A Trail

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Built 2011 T4R Limited
    I use “Green Grease” on my JBA arms and all of the factory grease points under the vehicle on the driveshafts.

https://www.greengrease.net/kitinfo/Single14/single14ounce.html

Every 5K miles when I do the oil change I grease everything. Put the tube of grease in a grease gun. Push the end and hold it firm on the zerk fitting and I do 2 pumps to each of the bushings in control arms, and however many pumps it takes to push grease out of the ball joint boot and then I wipe off the excess.

Jynarik, Daytonaviolet and WallyT4R like this.
  4. Apr 14, 2020 at 7:14 PM
    Daytonaviolet

Daytonaviolet TRD Bro

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    Blizzard Pearl TRD Bro
    Can this be done with a standard squeeze grease gun zerk fitting ? Or do I need a pressurized one ?

5. Apr 14, 2020 at 7:18 PM
    Charlievee

Charlievee New Member

Member:
    It's just a ball joint with a zerk fitting and the same zerk to grease the pivot points. A normal grease gun is fine.

6. Apr 14, 2020 at 7:19 PM
    Daytonaviolet

Daytonaviolet TRD Bro

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    Blizzard Pearl TRD Bro
    My UCA’s arrived today.

E487D716-0186-4258-AD6D-CED54399282F.jpg

7. Apr 14, 2020 at 10:23 PM
    Daytonaviolet

Daytonaviolet TRD Bro

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    Blizzard Pearl TRD Bro
    Reading the JBA site, now I’m not sure of these will work with my setup. Current setup is 2.75” lift, 285/70/17 w/ Oem TRD pro wheels 4mm offset.

Does anyone have this UCA with TRD pro wheels and 285’s

Info from JBA site

Please Note: 32.5" and larger diameter tires need aftermarket wheels with less then factory wheel back space.
    • LT285/70R17 (32.7" x 11.2") tire on 17 x 9 wheel, -12mm offset (4.50" backspace)
    • LT285/70R17 (32.7" x 11.2") tire on 17 x 8.5 wheel, -9mm offset (4.30" backspace)
    • LT285/70R17 (32.7" x 11.2") tire on 17 x 8.5 wheel, 0mm offset (4.75" backspace)
    • LT315/70R17 (34.4" x 12.4") tire on 17 x 9 wheel, -25mm offset (4.00”backspace)
    • Any tire that is 32.2" diameter and smaller there is no fitment problem.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
  8. Apr 14, 2020 at 10:29 PM
    Sundy

Sundy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Monument, CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner TRD ORP
    I'd throw them on, worst case you either sell the TRD wheels and get some new ones (FN FxPro are styled the same but I think have a better offset), or run some spidertrax spacers like a lot of guys. Worth setting it up and seeing how things fit, I'm guessing it will be tight but worth seeing, every setup can be slightly different.

9. Apr 14, 2020 at 10:42 PM
    Agent_Outside

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Built 2011 T4R Limited
    Your tire manufacturer’s website says your wheels are to narrow for 285s and you went for it anyway, why would this time be different? Not trying to be a jerk, it’s just odd to heed the warning for one and completely ignore it hit another.

I’d put them on check for and clearance issues. I know in the past I saw a person then ended up grinding down like 1/8” from the flat part plate area where the ball joint mounts on the UCA because at full lock whatever their wheel setup was caused it to touch just a heard against the wheel. I don’t know, I don’t actually remember their specific scenario but they were outside JBAs recommended guidelines and it just took a couple minutes with a dremel and some touch up paint to make them work fine.

Personally I’d make them work before switching to any other brand.

WallyT4R and Daytonaviolet like this.
  10. Apr 14, 2020 at 10:53 PM
    travieb1

travieb1 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2018 Toyota SR5 premium with 3rd row seating
    2018 SR5 Premium with sunroof and 3rd row seating- tinted windows, debadged side emblems, blacked out rear emblems, AVS low profile Rain Deflectors, AVS Aeroskin 2, Toyota Cargo cover, AJT Design Fob, AJT billet Aluminum red TRD battery bracket, AJT climate control knobs, TRD Skid Plate with Red TRD Inlays, Custom Fuse/Relay Block fabbed from High-Density Polyurethane, Borla Exhaust, N-Fab Nerf Bars, Blue Sea battery meter with additional USB and cigarette lighter with full time power, OEM Audio Plus Reference 500Q System with dual Sub Woofer, Fulltime backup camera mod with AOB switch, Precision LED Full interior LED lighting kit, Xenon Depot HID kit, Diode Dynamics switchback Turn signal LEDs, Precision LED backup LEDs, Diode Dynamics taillight as blinker mod, AJT Customs DRL’s, Toyota “Canadian” 3rd row Cargo mat, Bilstein 5100’s, Toytec 3” lift, JBA Upper Control Arms, Nitto Ridge Grapplers 285/70/17, YodaTEQ Underhood Lighting Kit, TRD hood with flat black hood insert, TRD shift knob, TRD Oil cap, TRD Cold Air Intake, TRD SEMA wheels, Spidertrax spacers, Diode Dynamics SS3 fog-lights, Matte black painted TRD front end, TRD valances front and back painted matte black, Gobi Stealth rack, Gobi ladder, Rotopax with Red Fuel pack, Overland Equipped bolt on step, Kuat bike rack, White Raptor lights with Yoda LED’s switch, Pedal Commander, sequential side mirror blinker LED’s, Bunker Industries Recovery Boards with custom roof mounts, Tepui Awning with Gobi stealth mounts, CVT Mt Shasta Extended Summit Edition RTT, Southern Style Off-road Lo-Pro bumper with 20” Rigid light bar, Accessorides Remote Start.
    I have that setup. But I also have Spidertrax spacers... I have a bit of rubbing on the fender well at full lock, but the wheels clear the UCA’s... when I spoke to the owner of JBA about my setup he told me they would definitely rub without the spacers.

Daytonaviolet[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Apr 14, 2020 at 11:14 PM
    Daytonaviolet

Daytonaviolet TRD Bro

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    Blizzard Pearl TRD Bro
    Thanks for the advice guys.

1. Spidertrax spacers is my first option
    2. Returning the UCA for SPC would probably be my 2nd option.
    3. FXN Pro wheels is nice, but have to wait on the wheels and then sell mine.

I actually skimmed thru the manufacturers guidelines and revisited them after my UCA’s arrived today .. oops

I’ll take pics of how close they are. But I’ll have spidertrax spacers ready.

travieb1 likes this.
  12. Apr 14, 2020 at 11:16 PM
    travieb1

travieb1 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 Premium with sunroof and 3rd row seating- tinted windows, debadged side emblems, blacked out rear emblems, AVS low profile Rain Deflectors, AVS Aeroskin 2, Toyota Cargo cover, AJT Design Fob, AJT billet Aluminum red TRD battery bracket, AJT climate control knobs, TRD Skid Plate with Red TRD Inlays, Custom Fuse/Relay Block fabbed from High-Density Polyurethane, Borla Exhaust, N-Fab Nerf Bars, Blue Sea battery meter with additional USB and cigarette lighter with full time power, OEM Audio Plus Reference 500Q System with dual Sub Woofer, Fulltime backup camera mod with AOB switch, Precision LED Full interior LED lighting kit, Xenon Depot HID kit, Diode Dynamics switchback Turn signal LEDs, Precision LED backup LEDs, Diode Dynamics taillight as blinker mod, AJT Customs DRL’s, Toyota “Canadian” 3rd row Cargo mat, Bilstein 5100’s, Toytec 3” lift, JBA Upper Control Arms, Nitto Ridge Grapplers 285/70/17, YodaTEQ Underhood Lighting Kit, TRD hood with flat black hood insert, TRD shift knob, TRD Oil cap, TRD Cold Air Intake, TRD SEMA wheels, Spidertrax spacers, Diode Dynamics SS3 fog-lights, Matte black painted TRD front end, TRD valances front and back painted matte black, Gobi Stealth rack, Gobi ladder, Rotopax with Red Fuel pack, Overland Equipped bolt on step, Kuat bike rack, White Raptor lights with Yoda LED’s switch, Pedal Commander, sequential side mirror blinker LED’s, Bunker Industries Recovery Boards with custom roof mounts, Tepui Awning with Gobi stealth mounts, CVT Mt Shasta Extended Summit Edition RTT, Southern Style Off-road Lo-Pro bumper with 20” Rigid light bar, Accessorides Remote Start.
    Also the spacers make it look bad ass so it’s a win-win in my book!

13. Apr 14, 2020 at 11:17 PM
    Daytonaviolet

Daytonaviolet TRD Bro

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    Blizzard Pearl TRD Bro
    Any good places to get the spidetrax wheel spacers ?

14. Apr 14, 2020 at 11:23 PM
    travieb1

travieb1 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    C9BA3848-415A-43AB-B8EF-7B79C837FA76.jpg F2BD5B08-42AD-4C58-B331-CEB516B55E40.jpg

Also one note: Make sure the springs are seated the right way. I had to rotate then 180 degrees from how I had them in the pic (so that the end of the top of the spring can be seen on the outside) the JBA’s (not sure about other manufacturers) will actually rub on the spring if it is not rotated correctly ... when it it is seated correctly, however, the UCA’s Clear the area between the coils as they flex...

Daytonaviolet likes this.
  15. Apr 14, 2020 at 11:26 PM
    travieb1

travieb1 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    Sorry, you’re on your own on that one. Good luck.. I’d love to see some pics when you have the full setup!

16. Apr 14, 2020 at 11:33 PM
    Daytonaviolet

Daytonaviolet TRD Bro

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    Blizzard Pearl TRD Bro
    Not sure the fxn pro will work ? I think I need at least 4.75” back spacing

Diameter: 17″
    Width: 8″
    Offset: 0mm
    Backspacing: 4.5″

17. Apr 15, 2020 at 12:18 AM
    Sundy

Sundy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Monument, CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner TRD ORP
    The smaller the backspacing value, the smaller the distance is from the inside edge of wheel to the hub, from how I understand it. Based on that, a 4.5" backspace would fit better than a 4.75" backspace.

18. Jun 10, 2020 at 12:31 PM
    jcarey987

jcarey987 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 White 4Runner TRD Offroad
    Has anyone ordered UCAs from JBA since the pandemic? How long did it take to deliver? When I ordered the website said 3 to 7 days... I am on day 7 and haven't seen any tracking info hit. I sent an email on Monday asking for an ETA and haven't heard a thing. Today, the website is saying that they need 1 to 2 weeks to ship.. however, the website also says that the UCAs are in stock.

19. Jun 10, 2020 at 12:42 PM
    Daytonaviolet

Daytonaviolet TRD Bro

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    Blizzard Pearl TRD Bro
    I ordered in mid April and I got my uca in about a week. I called them few days after receiving my product and asked for a pair of extra washers. They sent those out in a few days. So overall communication was awesome. Just give Marlin a call and he will take care of you.

20. Jun 10, 2020 at 2:15 PM
    HankL818

HankL818 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 ORP w/KDSS
    Also order mine in earlier April, it was shipped right away, from PA to NY, received in 2 days.

21. Jun 10, 2020 at 3:37 PM
    Daytonaviolet

Daytonaviolet TRD Bro

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    Blizzard Pearl TRD Bro
    It’s worth the wait :)

5B3421F1-74B3-40F5-80EF-A9EAE4D0FEEA.jpg

Bdubs, GRIZ and Oldtoyotaguy like this.
  22. Jun 11, 2020 at 5:25 AM
    Jvarvar1

Jvarvar1 New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2018 White SR5
    KO2'S , RSG Sliders on the way!
    OK people I'm trying to decide between HD and Std when it comes to the jba uca's. I do a lot of wheeling with my daily driven 5th gen with an icon stage 2. The spc's didn't hold up very long and are noisy. Hells Revenge made it worst. What do y'all think?

23. Jun 11, 2020 at 6:51 AM
    Agent_Outside

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Built 2011 T4R Limited
    If your not gusseting the spindles, running secondary shocks, and welding in air bumps there’s no reason for the HDs.

24. Jun 11, 2020 at 8:58 AM
    nimby

nimby in the drink

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    California
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5P
    What's wrong with the SPC's? Is it just the noise?

25. Jun 11, 2020 at 5:32 PM
    Jvarvar1

Jvarvar1 New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2018 White SR5
    KO2'S , RSG Sliders on the way!
    The bushings are making noise. The ball joints are loose. I just need something more durable.

nimby[QUOTED] likes this.
  26. Jun 20, 2020 at 3:23 AM
    GRIZ

GRIZ New Member

Member:
    San Pancho
    Vehicle:
    2019 Nautical Blue TRD ORP
    Heritage PRO Grille, General Grabber ATX, Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport Fogs, 1" front spacers by 88Rotors, Blacked out Emblems, USR Black Tail Lights, Raptor Lights, MESO Puddle Lights
    Nice. Really fighting the urge to order the JBA UCA's. Ordered the Eibach Pro Truck Kit because I would't have to upgrade my UCA's right away but already have the suspension in transit and I'd be adding another 2 weeks to my install to get it all done together.

Did you order the spidertrax spacer yet?

Lucked out and found them at my local 4 Wheel Parts in Oakland. Give them a call or Toytect lifts should have them in stock.

7385 and Daytonaviolet[QUOTED] like this.
  27. Jun 20, 2020 at 3:38 AM
    Daytonaviolet

Daytonaviolet TRD Bro

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    Blizzard Pearl TRD Bro
    spidertrax is already on :)

28. Jun 8, 2021 at 10:30 PM
    Bdubs

Bdubs New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner SR5P
    Did you have rubbing issues before installing wheel spacers? I’ve got the same setup, trd pro wheels with BFG Ko2 285’s. Trying to figure out if I need the spacers or not.

29. Jun 13, 2021 at 5:00 PM
    Marbenz

Marbenz New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    17 4runner
    I ordered my uca's from them about a month ago and they shipped right away. My hold up has been the Eibach pro front coilovers. I ordered those in April and still haven't seen them, when I checked back order eta it said October!

30. Jun 13, 2021 at 5:01 PM
    Jynarik

Jynarik I like boobies

Member:
    Austin Texas
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd pro voodoo
    Ditto to green grease. Use it on everything

Products Discussed in

To Top