1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

It can haul anything...right?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Stormy873, Nov 27, 2020.

1. Nov 27, 2020 at 12:41 PM
    Stormy873

Stormy873 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Wannabe 4Runner owner
    Just joined today in anticipation of finally, finally getting to shop for the 4Runner I have wanted since the first time I drove once circa 1993. I have never spent this much in a vehicle and I am nervous as heck but I can not find anything thatbwill,handle the diverse needs as well. I don’t know if it counts as a “chick truck” because I am buying it for couple of distinct purposes... hauling my dog, getting to retire my Corolla from its duty hauling feed, supplies-even the occasional 2x6’s and the possible need to (very rarely) transport a dead sheep. The impetus for finally making the move was driven by two almost tragic experiences.

The dead sheep? You’d think it would be easy to get rid of a dead sheep but no, it is not. It is dig a hole or pay the folks $500 to haul the dead sheep for me. If I bring them the dead sheep, burial is $50. Dead sheep don’t fit in a corolla. A dead sheep will fit in the ass end of a 4Runner. The second factor in finally making the jump...living through a 12 day evacuation due to wildfire. We were able to evacuate our animals but the humans were inadequately provisioned to be off our farm for 12 days. I am hoping to name my thus far invisible grey 4Runner “Greyzer” after a favorite horse. She will remain close to stock but will get winter shoes as we live in snow country and I am hopeful she will thrive.

2Toys, Thatbassguy, Bob and 4 others like this.
  2. Nov 27, 2020 at 12:45 PM
    canadian.bacon

canadian.bacon H9 halogen is the best led bulb

Member:
    Snowland
    Vehicle:
    ‘22 Tesla Model Y
    welcome
    dont put a dead sheep in the vehicle, get a covered trailer and problem solved.
    a runner would pull a lot of dead animals to get to the 5000lb it can tow.

3. Nov 27, 2020 at 12:54 PM
    Curt56

Curt56 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Curtis
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD ORP
    Welcome, I'm sure you will be very happy with the 4 Runner

7385 and Thatbassguy like this.
  4. Nov 27, 2020 at 12:56 PM
    Stormy873

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Wannabe 4Runner owner
    I have heard they are not great for hauling a trailer. They don’t handle the tongue weight well? I have an aluminum 2 horse trailer with a weight if 2300 pounds so we would easily make the weight BUT safety comes first as I also have a Nine mile climb though well maintained but winding roads to get home. Do not want to tear the guts out of my new truck. Figure, I can put a tarp down snd easily transport a 130 pound sheep. Likely, Greyzer will see a lot of weird things in its duty on our farm.

5. Nov 27, 2020 at 1:02 PM
    JET4

JET4 New Member

Member:
    Southeast, Va.
    welcome

6. Nov 27, 2020 at 1:17 PM
    canadian.bacon

canadian.bacon H9 halogen is the best led bulb

Member:
    Snowland
    Vehicle:
    ‘22 Tesla Model Y
    It is never a smart idea to max out a vehicle's towing capacity.
    You said you wont tow very often, even on that 9 mile climb, however, that 2300lb trailer with 2 horses in it will be cutting close to the 5000lb right?
    It is more than the trailer weight here, add the tongue weight, vehicle payload capacity, not to mention that at 5000lb it would be a good idea to have dedicated brakes on that trailer; otherwise I would look at truck with a V8 in it - maybe a 3.5ecoboost if you are at higher altitude, it will help.
    It seems a truck bed would do you more good than a runner.
    The runner will pull, it will struggle a bit, but the engine/tranny are bulletproof.
    If i were in your shoes, i would get a tundra, no doubt about it. Throw a cap on the bed and you have already more covered space to carry a lot of stuff, including dead sheep - just hose the dirt down and it's like new. It will handle the trailer easier, that V8 is a beast; the 4x4 system is great, not to mention you can get it in 2 cab versions. Also a bulletproof engine/tranny combo.
    Better to be safe than sorry.
    Man, I could work at Toyota, where is my commission?

Toy4X4 and Thatbassguy like this.
  7. Nov 27, 2020 at 1:37 PM
    Bob

Bob Member Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    SoCal
    7385, Thatbassguy and canadian.bacon like this.
  8. Nov 27, 2020 at 1:46 PM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    Welcome to the forum from Wisconsin!

Toy4X4 and 7385 like this.
  9. Nov 27, 2020 at 2:26 PM
    Stormy873

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Wannabe 4Runner owner
    My two horse trailer was bought to evacuate my sheep. $9,000 cash under threat the fairgrounds would not allow us in later if the evac level went higher. At home, fashioned a hay bale ramp and lifted those sheep into the back end of the f-350...that was unavailable at our evacuation site...and oh boy, it was every man for themselves...we knew we were NOT getting any help from anyone when they started fleeing. Most money I ever spent to buy something sight unseen. Total weight of sheep 1200 pounds. Sheep and trailer 3500 pounds. Normally, I have NO intention of hauling with the 4Runner. We have the 1997 F-350 MONEYPIT for the horse trailer. And yes, I would buy a truck but I abhor how clunky they are and it would break my husbands heart to have to get rid of his Ford. So, the 4Runner m#t be super versatile... Toyota really screwed up by not offered a regular cab vehicle.

Why not just use the Ford for all hauling? Because I do not trust it to haul a dead sheep the hundred miles it takes to allow me to avoid the labor of spending two days with a breaker bar digging a grave...My husband adores the truck but i won’t ride it in to town because I don’t want to have to walk 17 miles home and I don’t do tow trucks with Covid. I would like to set up the 4Runner so it COULD be used as the “last option” tow rig just to move animals out of imminent harm and no, I am not going to hook up a trailer to haul a single dead sheep.

When I get her bought, her name will be ”Greyzer”. After the last horse I put a lot of miles on. Thanks for the kind welcome!

7385 and Curt56 like this.
  10. Nov 27, 2020 at 3:15 PM
    Toy4X4

Toy4X4 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2020 Offroad Prem. 4-runner
    RevTek 3" front- 2" rear leveling, JBA uca's, LED interior lights, Cooper 275-70-17 AT3 LT
    Welcome from Wisconsin!

7385 likes this.
  11. Nov 27, 2020 at 3:51 PM
    Oldtoyotaguy

Oldtoyotaguy Paid cash for it

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Toyota 4 Runner Offroad
    Your 4 Runner will do it all, don’t worry. Is it a tow vehicle no, but it can tow. It’s big limitation is it’s wheel base - it’s a bit too short. I pulled my 2 horse aluminum horse trailer with the Tacoma I had before getting the 4 Runner. I’m no longer hauling horses, but I do carry all manner of cargo in the 4 Runner. Hey it’s a vehicle meant to be used.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
    Toy4X4, 7385 and SlvrSlug like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top