1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is Toyota corporate OK with a dealer doing this??

Discussion in 'Other Toyota Vehicles' started by MountainMan, May 24, 2021.

1. May 24, 2021 at 10:47 PM
    MountainMan

MountainMan [OP] New Member

Member:
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner MountainMan Edition
    I saw a Toyota dealer 50 miles away had 6 new Tundra pickups listed on their website. One was a 2021 SR4 4x4 double-cab model, which is basically a stripped down work truck edition. Price was $39k. They showed a couple of others in the mid-40's and the rest in the low 50's.

So I drive down there and pull onto the lot and go to the Tundra section. All the Tundra's are lifted or customized and are used.

A salesman comes running out and compliments my 4Runner and I ask him where all the new Tundras are.

Sorry, we don't have any. All the trucks on the website are ordered months ago and already sold. He claims they can't change their website and any new vehicle that comes in to the dealer, is automatically listed as for sale and available on their website.

Really? Cause that pretty much seems like false advertising and deceptive practices.

Oh, and the cheapest Tundra they had was a 2017 SR5 with 65,000 miles for $49,000... Insane.

DannyD303, Thatbassguy and Toy4X4 like this.
  2. May 24, 2021 at 10:52 PM
    Tuco S.

Tuco S. New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Off Road w/KDSS in silver
    My experience with various manufacturers is they generally turn a blind eye regarding what dealers do, so long as the dealer moves units. Some dealers are shady as hell, some are fairly honest. They all try to make a buck anywhere they can. It's tough to make any money on new car sales. The real profit centers for most dealerships are parts & service and used car sales.

3. May 25, 2021 at 2:47 AM
    Toy4X4

Toy4X4 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2020 Offroad Prem. 4-runner
    RevTek 3" front- 2" rear leveling, JBA uca's, LED interior lights, Cooper 275-70-17 AT3 LT
    I do not believe the salesman you talked to. The 2 dealerships that we deal with must update their website daily. Tuco S. perspective on how some dealerships act is pretty accurate, IMO. That is until they get caught up in their foolery. It is a shame that consumers have to be "detectives" and check out everything or everyone they want to deal with. But dealerships were sometimes worse years ago, not that I tolerate those deceptive practices, and once I catch on to their crap, I'm gone!

Thatbassguy likes this.
  4. May 25, 2021 at 3:33 AM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts New Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    22 LR ORP
    Sherpa Crestone. 4X Innovations Sliders
    I’ve been looking for a rav4 prime to test drive, both my localish dealerships showed some on the web site, after talking with both, neither have one on their lot, but they are considered part of their inventory. Oh and they all sold as well. I don’t consider this to be false advertising, the vehicles are in their inventory until the customer signs those documents.

Thatbassguy and MiamiMark like this.
  5. May 25, 2021 at 4:27 AM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    I have to agree that that salesman was full of it. They could at least specify that a vehicle is sold in the details. I hardly believe they have no control of the website. They're just trying to lure people down there.

Like @Spare Parts mentioned, it's not technically false advertising. But, I still think it's shady.

Toy4X4 and Spare Parts like this.
  6. May 25, 2021 at 4:35 AM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts New Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    22 LR ORP
    whats even better, I continue to get emails from both dealerships, I continue to reply, "Do you have one for me to test drive". I have been told that I can put a deposit down and reserve the next available one.

7. May 25, 2021 at 4:39 AM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    Jeez. I suppose they're struggling with a lack of inventory, but that still seems lame.

Maybe test drive a used one of the same generation if there's any of those?

Toy4X4 likes this.
  8. May 25, 2021 at 6:12 AM
    kbp810

kbp810 rebmem wen

Member:
    I could "maybe" understand if they were sold same day (as in their system might only push web inventory updates overnight, kind of thing); but beyond that, just feels like a lame attempt to get people in the door by making it look like they have them in stock. I've seen this with some of the shady'ish dealers around me over the years... if you call on one, they'll even tell you to come on in to check it out... knowing full well that it's long gone.

Toy4X4 likes this.
  9. May 25, 2021 at 6:17 AM
    OverRunner

OverRunner rebmeM weN

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Denton, TX
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 ORP w/KDSS
    What’s even worse is that here in Texas, dealers post vehicles located at other dealers on their website. I went looking at a dealer in Dallas a couple months ago because they had 19 4runners listed on their website, two in pretty-much the configuration I wanted. When I got their, they had two total. One was reserved with a deposit, so we could only look at it, and the other sold immediately (a salesman walked up to get the keys and paperwork from it when we returned from the test drive, lol).

When asked about all the online options, they said “Oh yeah, sorry, the online system shows all options available to us (I guess by dealing with other dealers all over Texas ), and we can’t figure out how to fix that.”

So, it’s made it a true challenge to lay eyes on actual 4Runners lately, even though the online methods would have you believe they’re brimming to the top with them.

It does make me wonder though if the 4Runner I ordered will show up online before I get notice from the dealership that it’s ready.

Toy4X4 likes this.
  10. May 25, 2021 at 6:40 AM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts New Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    22 LR ORP
    I think the prime is fairly new, I have seen one anywhere yet, new or used.

11. May 25, 2021 at 6:41 AM
    EffinNewGuy

EffinNewGuy Completely clueless

Member:
    Southeast
    Vehicle:
    Absolutely nothing
    The way I understand it, once a dealership knows they have a particular vehicle coming in, and verifiable by VIN, they list it on the website, and it becomes part of their "inventory". With the explosion in popularity and demand of Toyota truck, oftentimes, the vehicles are "sold" before the delivery truck gets there. These are vehicles that customers have usually put deposits on, but they still show as available on the dealer websites. The vehicles aren't officially "sold" until all paperwork is signed and the customer drives off. Sometimes the buyer will back out of the deal and the truck gets sold to the next customer.

That was my experience about a month ago when I thought about trading my 2020 TRD OR for a 2021 TRD ORP. Dealers can't keep 4Runners, Tacomas, or Tundras in their new inventory more than a couple days.

Toy4X4 likes this.
  12. May 25, 2021 at 6:55 AM
    canadian.bacon

canadian.bacon H9 halogen is the best led bulb

Member:
    Snowland
    Vehicle:
    ‘22 Tesla Model Y
    Order and wait, that's what I did. My vehicle didn't even make their website, along with a few others on the lot. Down from the truck, PDI, paperwork and gone. You see them on the lot, but all sold already.
    The dealer told me my name was associated with the VIN before the vehicle left the plant.

bomaizey and Toy4X4 like this.
  13. May 25, 2021 at 8:08 AM
    mac1usa

mac1usa New Member

Member:
    Yeah I ordered my ORP and once the VIN was generated it showed up on my dealers website. I spoke with my sales person and was told that is just the way the ordering systems and website are setup to automatically generate. They assured me mine is secured with my deposit for me. I agree its a flaw in the system. My uncle is looking at Yukon and I am helping him and found GM dealers around here anyway operate similarly. So you are forced to make a phone call to see whats on the ground just to see a color and or interior color and those are pre sold also.

Toy4X4 likes this.
  14. May 25, 2021 at 9:00 AM
    M319

M319 New Member

Member:
    i feel ur frustration. however this is a normal tactic that all dealership use. even before all the shortages. they just want to bring you in or have you call the dealership. the good ol click bait. i remember asking the manager why my M3 was still on the website. he flat out told me we just want people to think we have one in stock.

Toy4X4 and OverRunner like this.
  15. May 26, 2021 at 2:26 AM
    Toy4X4

Toy4X4 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2020 Offroad Prem. 4-runner
    RevTek 3" front- 2" rear leveling, JBA uca's, LED interior lights, Cooper 275-70-17 AT3 LT
    Some, not all the dealerships around us will have the vehicle listed on their website, but the part where you want to see pictures of it will not show a picture of the vehicle and it will say "arriving soon" or "in transit", something to that effect. I don't feel that's very deceptive, but years ago a salesman at a dealership called me one day and ask for Mr. Smith, (just a example name), I said you have the wrong number, he explained who he was and that he was calling Mr. Smith to let him know his car came in at the dealership, since he had the wrong number he apologized and commenced to ask if I was interested in a new vehicle! Kind of original, kind of "greasy", but I'm sure eventually he planted the seed in someone's mind and they went to the dealership to look at new cars!

16. May 26, 2021 at 4:42 AM
    importman

importman The mountains are calling and I must go...

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    Carolinas
    Vehicle:
    05 Silver SR5 V6 4X4
    Blacked out, Ironman 3" Nitro Gas Suspension lift, JBA High Caster upper control arms, Differential drop and sway bar relocate, Upgraded to Sport Front Cardone Calipers with Brembo Rotors and Akebono Pads, Added Spoiler, Sony XAV-AX100 with Apple Carplay, USB Jack, Backup Camera, Black TRD Pro Wheels with General Grabber ATX 265/70/17, Rear differential vent extension, Auto Dimming Mirror with Compass and Homelink, Map Light Mod, Tekonsha 90160 Trailer Brake Controller, Recoil SL1708 Sub, Sealight LED Headlamps, K&N drop in air filter, Weathertech floor mats, Homemade rear storage compartment with built in pull out table.
    Sounds like a classic bait and switch. They get you on the lot with the ads and hope they can sway you into one of the used ones on the lot. Probably works part of the time. Very deceptive.

bomaizey likes this.
  17. May 26, 2021 at 7:00 AM
    bomaizey

bomaizey New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner Venture
    This was my experience also!

18. May 29, 2021 at 10:48 AM
    toy33

toy33 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    T. Batey
    CA: OC LA SD BB
    Vehicle:
    2016 Platinum Tundra 4x4
    Driver Grab handle, Billy 4600 up front, OME 0-2 Sport Shocks in back, CoachBuilder +1 Shackles, AJT accents and fob case, Rear axle breather mod, Meso custom leds, Pass side oem matte clips, Fencing over air ducts, New TRD Pro grill, Black TRD pro led haedlights, Angels baseball steering wheel cover, 'T' Toyota Trucks billet hitch cover. Pro high grade tint all windows, PPF on front hood, grill and lights, led oem black fogs, shorty antenna.
    Insane and/or inflation ... check out wood prices. Me thinks printing currency is going to have undesired affect/effect soon.

19. May 29, 2021 at 1:16 PM
    LandCruiser

LandCruiser I have Toyotas

Member:
    East Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    5th Gen OG TE
    Just don’t buy a new car or truck right now.

20. May 29, 2021 at 4:38 PM
    MountainMan

MountainMan [OP] New Member

Member:
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner MountainMan Edition
    Now may be the cheapest we will see new vehicles in our lifetimes, as well as the lowest interest rates.

People really have no grasp of just how bad things will get when we spend $6 Trillion of printed money. I never thought I'd see a 2x4 board go from $2.50 to $12 within a couple of months. Hopefully the chips will hit the market and release a flood of trucks before interest rates hit double digits. That's when you buy.

2Toys and LandCruiser[QUOTED] like this.
  21. May 29, 2021 at 4:52 PM
    LandCruiser

LandCruiser I have Toyotas

Member:
    East Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    5th Gen OG TE
    Every Toyota dealer around us is either out of stock or selling trucks at 20% mark up over MSRP.

22. May 29, 2021 at 5:22 PM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts New Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    22 LR ORP
    MSRPs will go up. There are still places selling at MSRP, maybe even under.

LandCruiser likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top