1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is it Possible to Special Order a Different Model's Color on a TRD Pro?

Discussion in 'General 4Runner Talk' started by Dante Rising, Oct 29, 2020.

1. Oct 29, 2020 at 5:29 AM
    Dante Rising

Dante Rising [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    2014 4Runner
    I'm a huge fan of the Barcelona Red color, but for some bizarre reason it is not available as a color selection on Toyota's website for the TRD Pro. Does anyone know if I can special order a TRD Pro with a color from the Venture trim level?

If not I may be forced to grab the Venture, but I love the Pro's Front Toyota badging, upgraded shocks, extra lift, better tires, skid plate, and new black rims. (Barcelona red would look great with the new TRD red badging on the rims)

If I can't get red on the Pro, do you think, instead of negotiating on Price, I could get the dealership to instead install the front end TRD "Toyota" , and add the skid plate?

I can understand LOWER models not getting the TRD Pro special colors, but it seems counter intuitive to lock out your HIGHEST model from colors available on cheaper models.

Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  2. Oct 29, 2020 at 5:45 AM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    I think Toyota just makes a certain number of PROs in whichever colors they decide and that's it. You might be able to have a dealership put you on a waiting list, but only if they're getting that color anyway. Are you looking at 2021's?

3. Oct 29, 2020 at 10:08 AM
    catus

catus New Member

Member:
    Centennial, CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Double Cab TRD Limited
    No major mods yet
    Just buy the red one and build it the way you want with the money you saved by not buying the Pro. Dealers may be able to sell the grille and skid, but you'll have to ask them. Else, there are sources online where you can buy them. Like Bass wrote, Pros are limited production with limited colors available. If you must have a Pro, then you are stuck picking from only a few colors. When I was shopping last year, the Pros were available in Voodoo Blue, black, and white. I didn't want any of those colors so I bought a Premium in red. I really couldn't care less about the Pro package, to be honest. It was more important to me to have the color I wanted - you'll be looking at that color every day, so get the color you want! Mine is properly built and I spent less $$$ total with lift/wheels/tires than buying a Pro.

4. Oct 29, 2020 at 12:59 PM
    Dante Rising

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    2014 4Runner
    I'm looking at 2021 models, and Lunar Rock just looks too pastel to me. (No disrespect to the people that love the color.) The only other color besides Barcelona Red that I absolutely love is Voodoo Blue. But they are nearly impossible to find (only 2-3 on cars.com, and usually over 1000 miles from the midwest) Plus, with the way 4runners hold their value, it is very hard to justify buying a used Pro. Vehicles with 20-40K in miles are only a couple thousand less than than a 2021 Pro, with all the additional upgrades over older models.

After seeing the way Ford is allowing configurations on the new Bronco, Toyota is ... frustrating. Voodoo Blue is available on Tacomas, but not 4Runners? Okay, it was a special color. But so was Army Green, and I can get that color on other 4Runner trim levels this year. No Barcelona red on a Pro but I can get it on an SR5? First world problems, but I'm spending 55K...

If Voodoo Blue was available in 2021, I wouldn't even be looking at a Bronco. As was mentioned above, color is one of the most important choices in purchasing.

5. Oct 29, 2020 at 1:54 PM
    Dante Rising

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    2014 4Runner
    <edit> Called two dealerships, and they confirmed they can't special order Barcelona Red. One strange thing was that when I asked the last dealership if they could order a Barcelona Red venture edition, and then add the skid plate and "Toyota" badged front end unit, they stated that piece it isn't a (PPO?) option that can be ordered. Yet on Cars.com I have two 2020 SR5 Premiums bookmarked that are new-on-lot and have the TRD Pro "Toyota" on the front end. How did those units get them, as they aren't used?

One other point- the first dealer I called said people are still asking for the Army Green TRD Pro as a 2021 model, but Toyota has been unreceptive to dealer feedback. Strange decision, since it is offered on other editions now. I then spoke about the massive number of Bronco options and he said "We are praying that the Bronco hype has Toyota look at bringing back the FJ. It would have been a much better idea than the new Supra. Toyota dealers are already pointing at the Bronco pre-orders , and making certain Toyota corporate is aware."

He wasn't hopeful, however. He thinks the best we can hope for is they work some of the Bronco hype and options into the next-gen 4Runner.

6. Oct 29, 2020 at 2:32 PM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    This guy sounds like an idiot. It probably won't happen because the FJ would just take sales away from the 4runner. The 4runner is a niche vehicle to begin with it would be silly to have two midsize, BOF SUV's for the off-road market.

Which would actually be smarter than bringing back the FJ.

7. Oct 29, 2020 at 2:39 PM
    mynameistory

mynameistory New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tory
    Vehicle:
    The same 4Runner everyone has
    Toyota is very... particular about the options they offer on the 4Runner. I've made my suspicions public before but I believe this is because the 4Runner is made on a single production line at the Tahara plant in Japan. This limits their ability to offer add many variations/trims/options to the lineup in comparison to the Tacoma (in production this is called product mix). The Tahara line is very old (relatively speaking) and as such, probably does not have the capacity to increase the product mix or even output significantly. You have to remember this generation came out in 2009, when SUVs were taking a nosedive.

There are some very weird examples of this. As you mentioned, the Tacoma and Tundra offer pro-exclusive colors each year (like Lunar Rock this year) that trickle down to the other trims the following model year. For example, you should now be able to order any other trim in Army Green for 2021. But the Tacoma and Tundra are built in the US at larger plants that can allow for more capacity and product mix. If you really want to dig into the reason why, research the chicken tax!

Other examples others have mentioned include offering only a few colors for the Pro each year. For the 4Runner, it's usually the new color, black, white, and a "regular" color like magnetic gray and yes, Barcelona red (offered in 2017). If you are insisting on a red Pro, that is your only option unless they decide to bring it back another year. Keep in mind that it won't have any of the 20/21 updates like TSS, better displays, or factory LED headlights.

Personally I would suggest the same as others and get a red TRD off-road premium. The bits that distinguish a Pro from a TRD-ORP are entirely cosmetic and can be purchased for much cheaper in the aftermarket. The ORP/Venture also offer a feature that the Pro does not have: KDSS. The reason for this, again, is product mix. The shocks and all the other pro bits (skid plate, wheels, roof rack, etc.) are all installed portside after arriving in the States. This is because the shocks cannot be incorporated into the production line in Japan and must be added later by small TRD teams. Shock/coil replacement is more of a pain with KDSS, so this option was nixed from the Pro to save time/money (even though it was displayed on the 2015 demo model at auto shows).

This is also why you shouldn't feel bad about "making your own Pro" because Toyota essentially does the same thing. For example, I picked up a set of barely used Pro coils/shocks for $600. I selected FN Wheels six shooters (5 wheels for $1K) and sold my factory wheels for $400. FN also makes a Pro replica wheel that is lighter, an inch wider, and with more color options than the factory wheel (if you're set on that pro style). You can find an aftermarket pro grill for a few hundred bucks that is indistinguishable from the OEM unit- after all, it's a vendor sourced part for Toyota too. Skid plates can be had in the aftermarket or from someone getting rid of theirs.

I'd skip the Venture unless you're dead set on the black spoiler or $300 Yakima basket. Everything can be done cheaper yourself after the fact.

Sorry if this is a bit long-winded, but I hope it helps explain the limited options for the 4Runner. The upcoming Bronco is an entirely different beast and Ford is coming out swinging into a heated market with cheap gas- totally different from the market a decade ago when the 5th gen launched. They are anticipating a high demand and have even switched gears recently due to feedback (they are now planning to offer the Sasquatch package with the manual transmission). I do look forward to Toyota's response, if they have one.

8. Oct 29, 2020 at 5:28 PM
    thirdyota

thirdyota shouldn't be trusted

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    2017 T4R TRD Off Road Premium
    FACT: Toyota sucks at offering packages, configurations, and individual options on vehicles.

9. Oct 29, 2020 at 5:34 PM
    4Runner170V

4Runner170V New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2014 4Runner Trail
    SSO Slimline Bumper w/Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch FOX 2.5 Front, 2.0 Rear/ICON UCA/OME Rear Spring 33X12.50R17 DRIFTA Drawer System ARB Awning APS Side Steps ICS Fab. Center Console Mount LFD Roof Rack Cross Bar Dual Battery System HAM/GMRS Mobile Radio
    Remember that 4Runner is J car. VIN starts with J which means that all vehicle is built and assembled in Japan. No much special order from US.

Ironguy and Thatbassguy like this.
  10. Oct 29, 2020 at 5:41 PM
    mynameistory

mynameistory New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tory
    Vehicle:
    The same 4Runner everyone has
    Your dealer can order a particular truck from production. It just can't be a "custom" configuration outside of the factory trims and options.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  11. Oct 29, 2020 at 7:55 PM
    wallygator24

wallygator24 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD PRO
    I had a Barcelona RED TRD PRO Tacoma before I got my 4RUNNER. It was not my first choice, but the color grew on me, and I rarely saw other Barcelona Red Tacos around. I know they had Barcelona RED TRD PRO 4RUNNER in 2017 because I have seen some driving around. Perhaps you could find a used TRD PRO in that color. It is a neat color.
    IMG_2905.jpg

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020

Products Discussed in

To Top