1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is anyone else noticing a gain in zippiness from disabling the TRAC system?

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Gamma Ray, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Feb 28, 2020 at 2:41 PM
    Gamma Ray

Gamma Ray [OP] Be excellent to each other

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 Barcelona Red
    Who cares? This never shows everything anyway.
    I've got to admit, I've been feeling down about my new 4runner being rather slow to respond to the gas pedal and accelerate and whatnot. I read about Throttle Commander, the semi-official supercharger, and other things. I didn't want to use any of them, but I remembered a Youtube video I had seen about the 4runner and the TRAC system being turned off helped with offroading. (Rather mild offroading but still.)

I tried turning it off with a three second press on the way home today. This also turns off the VSC and trailer sway control systems. A side effect on the 2020 model is that it also disables the forward collision braking system. Regardless of the side effect (I made sure to pay attention while driving), I think my 4runner became way, way, way more responsive. It's hard to say from just one drive, but it seemed a whole lot better. Turning left at a light also felt much more safe because my 4runner actually moved when I wanted it to move :yes: It's only one drive so far, but it felt much better. I wasn't worried about not moving at the pace I wanted and having to step on the brakes before passing through the oncoming lane because I wasn't sure if I was going to make it. Then on this one generously long straight on the way home, it took noticeably less time and took less than expected throttle to get up to 50MPH.

It's only one time so far, but it looks promising. I'll try it again and again. I'll have to try it with the quick press of the button to just turn off the TRAC system, too. The VSC might be okay to turn off, but I'd rather not lose the forward collision braking system if I don't have to.

I just know that in the past with nothing turned off, my 4runner would often get up to speed like a slug. I think it was sometimes inconsistent, too. Sometimes it wouldn't be quite so sluglike.

Hopefully turning off at least just the TRAC system fixes it. Maybe it was the TRAC system doing it, but I felt like I had grip for days with it on. With it off, I didn't feel any loss of grip. I did do this on a dry day. I'll probably leave all of this on for rainy and snowy days.

2. Mar 1, 2020 at 6:56 PM
    Gamma Ray

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 Barcelona Red
    I did some driving today with the three second hold, and things felt pretty good. I'm trying not to exceed break in behavior, but I still want it to feel good to drive and be responsive enough to be confident I won't put myself in a bad position.

I didn't do much driving with the aids off yesterday because I tried just having the traction control off with a brief press, but it only stays off up to 30MPH it seems. You have to give it a three second press for anything to turn off completely.

3. Mar 2, 2020 at 2:25 AM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    I'll have to try this the next time I drive it. I hadn't really thought about it before.

4. Mar 2, 2020 at 4:04 AM
    DGP1961

DGP1961 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 Premium
    I think some of it's in your head and your trying to be way over sensitive to it. And I quote:
    I think my 4runner became way, way, way more responsive. It's hard to say from just one drive.
    First it's WAY more responsive but then it's hard to say. If your unhappy with the throttle response trade it in for a V8 Dodge Challenger or something. Not ragging on you, really, but it is a SUV.

Huzer21 likes this.
  5. Mar 2, 2020 at 4:53 AM
    ForRun

ForRun 4Runner

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 orp
    Pedal Commander is no where near a supercharger. Pick up one or Sprint booster. You won't regret it

DBGW5 likes this.
  6. Mar 2, 2020 at 9:03 AM
    SnowroxKT

SnowroxKT New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2018 T4R TRD Offroad
    2018 T4R Offroad SAS 1995 Tacoma
    No difference from what I've seen UNLESS you are starting to break traction. Then its a shit show.

7. Mar 2, 2020 at 3:23 PM
    Gamma Ray

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 Barcelona Red
    Some of it may be in my head, but I'm going to do the three second press for as much as I can this week. I wouldn't do it if it's wet/snowy/icy, but I want to give it a week before I go back to not pressing the button at all. Yeah, it's an SUV, not a sports car, but my old Jeep Liberty was much quicker to accelerate. It was lighter, but it also had a much lower horsepower engine.

I did the three button press today, and it still feels good. I also discovered that it'll still detect that the vehicle ahead is close and tell you to brake even though it won't brake for you. I wasn't in any danger of hitting anything, but the sensor is set to go as far out as possible.

SnowroxKT, I guess if you're driving like a maniac you'll break traction :D But I'm not going to do that.

8. Mar 2, 2020 at 7:04 PM
    4runningMan

4runningMan New Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    Doesn’t all the traction control stuff turn back on automatically when you hit 30mph?

9. Mar 3, 2020 at 3:23 AM
    Gamma Ray

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 Barcelona Red
    Only when you do the brief press. If you hold the button for 3 seconds, traction control stays off seemingly until you turn the vehicle off. It also turns off stability control and collision brake assist for that period of time.

4runningMan[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Apr 7, 2020 at 6:31 PM
    Gamma Ray

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 Barcelona Red
    So, since the pandemic began to get really pandemicy, I haven't done any traction control off stuff in order to be as unrisky as possible. I am essential at work (somehow), so I have been driving. I've passed the 1,000 mile break in mark, and I think my 4Runner is loosening up with age. It'll be interesting once things get better and I turn the traction control off again, but I'm not going to do it now.

Products Discussed in

To Top