1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

In the hunt for some serious advise

Discussion in 'General 4Runner Talk' started by Cyruswun21, Aug 18, 2022.

1. Aug 18, 2022 at 11:47 PM
    Cyruswun21

Cyruswun21 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Vehicle:
    2018 Dark Gray SR5 4runner
    Black out decals and pedal commander
    Hey all,
    So this is my first time on any thread like this, and hopefully I will find what I am looking for, as I have been at what I consider quite a personal dilemma on the yota front. I currently own a 2018 SR5 (I think premium). I currently have right at exactly 40k miles on it. I have to swap my tires out here in a few weeks (no biggie). However, I went to a local yota shop to get quoted for an upgraded suspension, tires and wheels broken down like this:

Suspension:
    Locked 2.5 front coil-overs
    Locked Rear 2.5 shocks
    icon rear springs
    Dirt King UCAS
    Dirt King LCAS

Wheels/tires
    Falkan Wildpeaks
    Black Rhino Wheels (because I want them)

This is just the start of what I would upgrade to the 4runner. While I love it to death... I saw the new Tundra and damn are they nice. I have been building them over and over and love just about everything about them. I guess my dilemma stems from, do I spend 10-15k on upgrading the 4runner or get a huge truck. Also waiting 8-10 months could be a long time.

I rarely go off-roading and use the 4x4 function, but with upgrades like above, I would finally feel comfortable enough to utilize the 4runner for adventures. I have my uses for a full size truck, love the tech and interior upgrades, but also love the simplicity of the 4runner. Some of my major concerns are when the gen 6 drop, will it really affect the value appreciation of the gen 5's, especially it now being a 5yr old truck. Also The technology, having android play and other options are nice, is there any way to viably upgrade the 4runner with those tech options.

Like I said, never gone down this path and have been going back and forth for several weeks now, really looking to a good conversation on this one.

Also, lets say we decide I keep the 4runner, is it worth it to get it supercharged for that extra power??

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2022
    White Walker likes this.
  2. Aug 19, 2022 at 2:26 AM
    Toy4X4

Toy4X4 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2020 Offroad Prem. 4-runner
    RevTek 3" front- 2" rear leveling, JBA uca's, LED interior lights, Cooper 275-70-17 AT3 LT
    Welcome from Wisconsin! You don't have to spend a ton of money on upgrades. The 4Runner is a fairly capable off-roader stock, while the upgrades you're talking about will certainly help the off road adventure, it's not a "got to have" situation. We have a cheap leveling kit, some after market upper control arms, a little bigger tire(275's instead of stock 265's) on some after market wheels, and we some go places that we could use upgraded suspension, but a lack of confidence in the 4Runner? NEVER! I have owned some of the 'huge' trucks, this is our 1st 4Runner, and when comparing fairly stock 4Runners to fairly stock 'huge' trucks, the mobility, nimble, capable 4Runner is at top of it's game! Have fun with that 4Runner!

3. Aug 19, 2022 at 2:54 AM
    White Walker

White Walker Double badass

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    White trd pro
    Leveling kit, n fab turning boards 285 70 17s nitric ats
    So first of all if you are thinking about resale value then stick withe the 4runner, although the tundra has been holding its value much better than before. I've had both tundra and 4runners (x3 each) and I love them both!!! But if you want to start to venturing in off-roading the 4runner is superior off-roading by a log shot. So I would go with a good 3 to 3.5 inch lift and go with a 285 70 17 K02 or a tire like that that. The Rhino wheels you like are really nice and a really good choice for a 4runner.
    My 2019 Tundra

Screenshot_20220220-185042_Photos.jpg

Jackstraw, Toy4X4 and Thatbassguy like this.
  4. Aug 19, 2022 at 4:22 AM
    GrantA

GrantA Enjoying God’s creation

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Fully locked 2020 SR5 Premium
    - GOBI roof rack and ladder - Westcott Design Rock sliders - M.O.R.E. Underbody Skid plates - Dual ARB air compressor & ARB single compressor - LED interior lighting - Ironman 2.0 meter awning and enclosure - Ironman winch with factor55 hook - Ironman foam cell pro suspension - Ironman recovery snatch rope - Ironman recovery traction boards - lilbscustomfab Hybrid Front Bumper - lilbscustomfab BMC - RRW RR7-H Hybrid Beadlock wheels - Nitto Trail Grapplers 285/75/17 M/T - 4.88 gears - ARB front air locker - ARB rear air locker - Hi-lift jack & mount - Sony aftermarket speakers - LASFIT External LED Light Conversion - Center console organizer - Glovebox organizer - ICS phone Mount holder - C4 rear bumper with dual swing arms - C4 gas skid plate - C4 rear diff skid plates
    Welcome to the forum. I have had both a 2011 Tundra crewmax 2wd and a 2020 4Runner sr5 premium 4x4. They are completely 2 different vehicles (obviously) and what your use case is for them depends on you. So without going down a rabbit hole of my opinions I will leave you with questions that only you can answer. If anyone of them sounds like a father talking to a son you have been warned. I would hope someone would shoot me that straight if I had posed such a question. I prefer good old honest conversation versus… the one that aims to make you happy. To me car buying is a big decision. So I will treat it as such:

Is money an issue? (skip the question only if you are 100% debt free or have more money than you owe. Otherwise money is always an issue)
    • What is the fair market value that you will get for your 4Runner?
    • What does the new Tundra cost?
      • I am not talking about what it says online. You need to get the actual prices at the dealership with more than likely dumb dealer mark-up
    • Do you own your 4Runner and if so will you be in yet another payment?
    • Assuming you have debt, do you want to be debt free? (If you are a single owner you are probably close to paying it off if you did a 5 year loan)
    • You ready to replace one car payment with a new car payment?
    Dependability/reliability matter?
    • The 4Runner and old v8 Tundra are very reliable
    • The new Tundra has had a bit of an issue with the new version. You aware of that?
    What is your recent need for a Tundra?:
    • Based on your comment it sounds like you are interested in the looks, fancy tech, etc and at times may have uses for the truck features? Is this true or did I read wrong (I don’t need to know, this is just for you)?
    • What do you need a Tundra for that your 4Runner can’t do? (Put a list together)
      • Can those problems be solved with a inexpensive trailer? (Granted this brings more questions, like storing the trailer)
    • How often will you use the truck features of the Tundra?
      • If not often (eg: 1x per year or less could you rent a truck for what you need?)
    Let’s get to the truth/hard question I make from your post

• If you haven’t put your 4Runner in 4x4 often during ownership you would be lucky if 4x4 works.
      • Does your 4x4 really work? I mean you won’t know by just running outside and turning it on. I pulled a few people off the beach because their vehicle said it was in 4wd but it wasn’t actually activating.
    • Is there alternatives to solving your wants from a vehicle? If so how much will those items cost?
      • I got roughly $20k in upgrades in the 4Runner (darn wheels and tires was 20% of that). Then a regear and lockers was another 20%.
    • Will you have to do any upgrade to that Tundra? I assume you don’t want the stock rims and tires from the Tundra. So don’t just put that cost on the 4Runner. You will have that cost on the Tundra as well.
    • Do you want to pour/waste money (that you should plan on not getting back) into a vehicle that you don’t seem to want anymore and have barely used for the purposes it was intended?
    • So if the way your current 4Runner sits doesn’t make you want to go off-road, how will $10-$15k more automatically result in loving the off-road features?
      • Sounds like you should go rent a side by side or something so you can get your fix in and save $10-$15k
    • What do you really want from your 4Runner?
      • Mall crawler (where it is looks over function)?
      • You serious about getting into off-roading?
        • Do you have anything near you to go off-roading?
        • I suggest getting out there in the current form of it and seeing how it functions.
    • Is weather a concern where you need 4x4?
    I hope your not a single poster and flake. I have way too much time into this post (45 minutes). I hope these questions serve you well and one last one…

You married? If so have you talked to the Mrs? If not :help:
    But in all seriousness go over the questions together.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2022
  5. Aug 19, 2022 at 6:03 AM
    White Walker

White Walker Double badass

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    White trd pro
    Leveling kit, n fab turning boards 285 70 17s nitric ats
    Now that's what I'm talking about :bowdown:

6. Aug 19, 2022 at 6:42 AM
    Kyblack76

Kyblack76 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Layton, Utah
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD O.R
    To the OP. The rig you have, right now, will let you be "comfortable enough to utilize the 4runner for adventures". Trust me, many many MANY are already doing it, ans have been.
    Why you'd drop 20k into it, rarely, if even using, or needing it for that intention, is odd to me. (I am saying go out and thrash, beat it,.. hard, with that wish list you mentioned) The rig you have now, will do 90% of Moab trails, and about anything else (yes, i am judging here a bit, just off your post) you, and your family, would even be WILLING to do.
    Resale? Or losing money. Cant comment. For me, i didnt by my rig, and never thought about "resale" (im keeping my 18 till i die) or losing $ on it. For me, my brain is NO WHERE, around such things. Others, that think that way, I'm beyond sure can help/chime in there.
    Tech- You can add apple car play/android auto easily and cheaply.(especially for the list of goodies you mentioned)
    . Me, i hate apple car play, and android auto, but, did replace the factory head unit. For my music/vehicle info/some gps help, Period. Nothing else.
    The "other tech" if you mean all the crap the newer 5th gen has, and most likely the 6th will, along with the new tundra, i dont want. At all. None of it. Id pay, to NOT have it. To each their own.
    If you need a truck, and will actually use it (camper? Tow a ton? Haulin a ton of yard work?), sell your sr5, get the new fancy truck, and enjoy. If you're just stuck building one on the website, because fun,... really really deep down knowingly, not really needing a "new truck with a bed, you will hardly ever even use nor tow and the like, get off the laptop, go get busy getting lost in your wicked capable rig you have now. You're wasting time brother.
    Either way, cheers, and hope you get/find, what it is you're actually looking for.
    (Also, zero hate here, to each their own)

Cyruswun21[OP] and 2Toys like this.
  7. Aug 19, 2022 at 6:46 AM
    Mtbpsych

Mtbpsych New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    I dropped a fraction of what you’re planning to spend and my 4Runner takes me everywhere I want it to. The best mod is a drivers mod. If you plan on keeping the 4Runner, spend the money. It would make zero sense to spend 10k+ if you plan on selling it. Supercharger is subjective. If you think an extra 30hp-40hp is worth 6k plus labor costs then yes. It’s a big slow truck, not a desert racer. If you want something fast ready to go outbid the box, get a raptor or ram trx.

GrantA likes this.
  8. Aug 19, 2022 at 7:40 AM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    I love the way Tundra drives. Very comfortable over stock 4Runner but had few problems.
    1) The 4.7 V8 had a smaller tank, with not so good mpg frequent fill-ups was a pin in the a**
    2) Truck bed was less practical than the 4Runner
    3) Living in CO with hail storms I could not close the garage door when Tundra parked inside.
    4) Rear tires often loose traction when I turn to another road 90' turns. Have to keep the gas in good control.
    5) Driving on trails on slow motion video I was able to see how much the bed moves with the frame and to me it looks like too much stress on the frame. (I know Toyota engineers know what they are doing but not a comfortable sight to me)​

My TRD ORP also same year as yours. I love how small it is on the trails, no traction issues, safe rear cargo area, fits in my garage etc. I like the range at stock height even with A/T tires (BFG KO2). Per the trip computer 423miles range.
    upload_2022-8-19_8-23-54.jpg

For lift options I have used few options and the best I've used is ELKA 2.5DC. During the time I got them the front coil over and rear shocks were about 3K and sadly now they are 4K. So rear springs + SPC UCA + diff drop kit + extended brake lines are not much of a cost. My 4x4 shop recommend these dual adjuster shocks over single adjuster shocks like Kings for comfort. I guess other dual adjuster options like Fox2.5DSC / OME BP-51 are on the same high-end line.

From your options I don't understand what "Locked" 2.5 front coil-overs / Rear 2.5 shocks means. May be means non adjustable? Not sure. Also I'm not sure how good Dirt King UCAS & Dirt King LCAS are and not sure if you need LCAs. I only know Dirt King are popular in long travel kits and those require constant maintenance. I know SPC & Ironman have lot of good reviews.

I really hate superchargers when it comes to reliability and having to rebuild 100K miles. I bet it would drastically reduce the value of your 4Runner imo.

Just my personal opinion on Tundra vs 4Runner vs Mods.

EDIT -

Almost forgot about the newer Tundra / Sequoia. That new i-force max (3.5T hybrid) seems ton of fun with good mpg. That tundra will allow you to run 35s with least effort. Regardless the turbo issues reported and Toyota fixing them already hope they will still have some good reliability in future compared to Ford/ Chevy/Dodge.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2022
    Toy4X4 likes this.
  9. Aug 19, 2022 at 7:50 AM
    MeefZah

MeefZah ---

Member:
    Lexington, Ohio
    The upgrades you mention are nowhere close to $15,000+... more like $3,000... and you could get pretty much the same look and same performance for way less even than that if you opt for a decent but non adjustable suspension lift (ie Dobinsons, Eibach, etc).

I go through the "I want a new ride" thing regularly so I can't help you with that decision but I thought I'd point out that from a money standpoint you are way over estimating the cost for your mods.

Stoney Ranger and Toy4X4 like this.
  10. Aug 19, 2022 at 7:54 AM
    SlvrSlug

SlvrSlug Slightly bent.

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Ramona Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2017 4-Runner SR-5 P. Kings, Built Right uca’s, Durabumps, RSG sliders
    Drive it as is for awhile first, it’s very capable off road. Then make the decision on what’s needed for your driving style, maybe put some sliders on for a little rail protection though.
    Oh yeah, welcome to the forum.

Toy4X4 likes this.
  11. Aug 19, 2022 at 8:34 AM
    alittleoff

alittleoff New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    '16 TP
    The "simplicity" of 4R's and P/U's stopped in the '85 through current year productions.
    IFS complicates things.
    Find a pre-'85, and add a modern head unit compatible with your personal device.

White Walker likes this.
  12. Aug 19, 2022 at 1:22 PM
    Trail Runnah

Trail Runnah New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T4R Trail Edition
    Stock
    @GrantA terrific post! Even if the OP never comes back, just know that I appreciate the effort you put into that. This should be a sticky when people ask about modifying and changing vehicles. You brought up a very good point with the financial situation, I was thinking along the same lines when I was reading the original post. For some people, spending 10 or 15K on mods is chump change, for others it could be a significant part of their annual income.

To the OP:
    First, you need to think about do you really need a truck? They're two very different vehicles. When I bought my 4Runner I also considered a Tacoma. I thought hard about my uses and what I would be typically using the vehicle for. I realized that an SUV matched my needs much better than a pickup. Of course another thing that dissuaded me from the Taco was actually driving one, lol.

If you just simply like the drivetrain and features of the Tundra, but find that you need an SUV, there's always the new Sequoia. It's got all the same tack and drivetrain as the new Tundra. Though it's also about 70K, so there's that.

As far as the supercharger, all said and done, I think that would run you 7 to 8K, that's a big chunk of change. I think even with the supercharge of these things are not rockets. Also depends on your budget.

As far as a suspension, I wouldn't run Dirt King stuff even if you gave them to me for free. As far as I know those are uniballs, and are going to require a ton of maintenance. For something that's not a race rig, I can't justify that for myself. Same thing with any type of rebuildable shock. Soon as you introduce downtime into something, it's a PITA for your daily driver. To be clear, I'm not trash talking the dirt King stuff, I'm sure it's high quality and is very good for certain applications and use cases. I do not think a DD is one of them.

You could do a nice sorta basic 2 to 2.5 in lift for 2K-Ish then add the tires and wheels of your choice. Unless you're trying to build a rock crawler or desert racer, you really don't need to get crazy with the suspension if you mainly use this as a daily driver and doing moderate trails and dirt road type stuff.

Go watch some YouTube videos, these are surprisingly capable even in stock form. I think the only real mod they need is better tires and maybe you want to spring for some armor such as rock sliders. Other than that, these are pretty much good to go.

Another wise investment would be some recovery gear, and maybe some off-road driving instructional classes. Those will help you hone your skills and learn the limits of your vehicle, and with that information you could decide what type of mods you need.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck!

Toy4X4, 2Toys, Cyruswun21[OP] and 2 others like this.
  13. Aug 19, 2022 at 2:53 PM
    Cyruswun21

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Vehicle:
    All!!!

Thank you everyone for the awesome advise, I haven't gone anywhere, I came here for a reason and you guys are making this quite easier on me, so we'll continue here in a few... I just work nights and usually have my downtime then.

14. Aug 19, 2022 at 5:00 PM
    GrantA

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    - GOBI roof rack and ladder - Westcott Design Rock sliders - M.O.R.E. Underbody Skid plates - Dual ARB air compressor & ARB single compressor - LED interior lighting - Ironman 2.0 meter awning and enclosure - Ironman winch with factor55 hook - Ironman foam cell pro suspension - Ironman recovery snatch rope - Ironman recovery traction boards - lilbscustomfab Hybrid Front Bumper - lilbscustomfab BMC - RRW RR7-H Hybrid Beadlock wheels - Nitto Trail Grapplers 285/75/17 M/T - 4.88 gears - ARB front air locker - ARB rear air locker - Hi-lift jack & mount - Sony aftermarket speakers - LASFIT External LED Light Conversion - Center console organizer - Glovebox organizer - ICS phone Mount holder - C4 rear bumper with dual swing arms - C4 gas skid plate - C4 rear diff skid plates
    This is a good group of people willing to help each other out. We get flaked a lot on by people halfway serious with a question. So it is a blessing to see you return and let us know your serious. That makes me feel better about the time spent in itself.

Those graveyards are “fun”. I remember working them and bless you for doing it.

Looking forward to hearing how you proceed and hope all these responses sincerely helped.

4runGirl88 and 2Toys like this.
  15. Aug 19, 2022 at 6:00 PM
    Cyruswun21

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Vehicle:
    Hopefully I am doing this thread thing right. This is the sort of response I was looking for and everyone else did a hell of a job. I'm gonna kind of go through these questions in groups to make it easier, and try to continue this thread. Maybe it's what I need haha.

So in the midst of this search, I got a pretty solid quote, it was about 7k total less than I paid for it after getting extended warranties and extras. Which is obviously not bad at all. Where as the new tundra, the way I would have it built is around 62-66 msrp, but I have a "connection" if you call it that that works with Toyota and would basically be able to get me out the door at invoice price, which is part of being intrigued. Currently I am still making payments on it (for probably about another year). And you were dead on with asking about me not wanting to pickup another payment. I really don't and think me being "okay" was my inability to not travel the last year, after considering that no, no I do not want another payment, I was even justifying it by saying I'll just throw another 10k into the down payment and keep the payments the same, that NOW seems ludicrous.

I am aware of some of the tundra issues with the turbo "waste-something" having issues, as well as some other issues. Hoping it would be fixed in the next years models, but again 8+ months to wait, I would probably change my mind again.

What is your recent need for a Tundra?: I guess outside of the new upgrades, one of the biggest draws to me ever wanting a truck was how much room I have, I am a pretty big dude (not heavy set), just tall and broad, and have always struggled with being super comfortable for a long period of time in a vehicle. Also having the option of the truck bed is nice, but I also hate moving people, another draw back ha. The 4runner has actually been quite decent, before I purchased it, I tried several options, including a Tacoma, which for me was absolutely horrific, I could barely fit in the truck, never mind smacking my head on the roof going over every bump. Outside of that, no real "need". Thank you for helping me answer this!

Let’s get to the truth/hard question I make from your post:
    I Live in Colorado, I definitely know the 4x4 works, I use it periodically, especially in the winter. I've priced out some things. The original items I posted with suspension and wheels/tires was right at 9500 ish including labor. I was also quoted for getting Bilstein Shocks at right around 3600 out the door.
    Do you want to pour/waste money (that you should plan on not getting back) into a vehicle that you don’t seem to want anymore and have barely used for the purposes it was intended? This is a tricky one, I have done some small trails while camping, I use it in the snow and love it. One of the reasons I haven't gone out and hit trails more regularly is not having someone to go with me, my days off are usually opposite of the avg person. Whatever, I'm ready to venture again, even if it means solo. I live in a state where trails are everywhere, and maybe being naïve to the idea is what has led me down this path. Also there is probably more options to getting the tech stuff I wanted, I had never really looked into it until maybe 20 minutes before my original post.

I definitely do not want it to be a pavement princess. It is my DD, but lets say I am bored and want to go for a drive and hit a trail for the day, I can do that.

I really do love my 4runner, its something I always wanted and now I have it... Definitely helped me make my decision a little easier here.

16. Aug 19, 2022 at 6:17 PM
    freak4life

freak4life New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Cañon City Co
    Vehicle:
    2018 off-road
    Fuel Wheels, KO2 33’s RCI skids (alum. full length) Jomax ABS protection SSO low profile w/ Warn Zeon 10s Westcott: sliders, roof rack, ladder, Hitch mount rear tire carrier Nitro 4:88 regear LRA 24gal aux tank Icon he rear springs Treaty Oak spacers Viper security Upgraded stereo, speakers, 400 amp unit Goose gear 100% rear seat delete Dometic DZ95 RedArc man.30 2 Battleborn 100ah lithium Genesis Duel battery under hood ARB duel air under hood Baja 30’ amber and fog Rigid 40” light bar on roof, ditch lights Switch-pro
    Welcome
    I built my runner for longevity and durability, I’m old and God willing this is my last vehicle. This runner is my retirement present to myself, my wonderful wife let me build it how I want, cost has not been an issue. My friends who turn a wrench for a living say the Magnuson superchargers are wonderful but they will cut down on your runners longevity and durability. I chose not to go that route. I don’t drive fast and therefore I deemed it an unnecessary modification. Like others have said, the runner is a most capable vehicle stock. The main thing to answer is what do YOU want this vehicle to do?
    Blessings.

2Toys likes this.
  17. Aug 19, 2022 at 6:22 PM
    Cyruswun21

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Vehicle:
    I definitely know of some places nearby where 90% of the time it would be no problem, I have actually even been camping in the mountains and after rain unable to make it out easily. Knowing my hobby history, I tend to go all in. That includes my winter hobbies.

Any suggestions or ideas to look into?

In terms of towing, I have towed boats, and small campers with it no problem, after reading this thread, probably not much more I need a truck for towing purposes, but more the idea of comfort in the cab and having that "option" if it was needed. But I guess I have a friend that could lend a truck if I really needed it.

18. Aug 19, 2022 at 6:30 PM
    Cyruswun21

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Vehicle:
    SO "Locked" is actually the brand, its a newer company. The shop I went to highly recommended them. I was also looking at the Bilstein 6112 and I think the 5100s?

19. Aug 19, 2022 at 6:44 PM
    Cyruswun21

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Vehicle:
    Kind of interesting you say that, since the yota shop is actually what they recommended to go along with the "LOCKED" coils. I was also quoted for the Bilstein 6112s and dont remember what the rears were.

Bilsteins?

I should probably look into that

20. Aug 19, 2022 at 6:55 PM
    Cyruswun21

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Vehicle:
    I should probably also mention I am definitely not married, otherwise this conversation would have already been resolved with a 'NO"

Trail Runnah and 4runGirl88 like this.
  21. Aug 19, 2022 at 7:28 PM
    GrantA

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    :rofl:

4runGirl88 likes this.
  22. Aug 19, 2022 at 7:37 PM
    GrantA

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    I am glad it helped. We get flaked on a lot in the forum with questions like this and usually I don’t provoke much thought to them. I hope if you keep the 4Runner we see pictures.

4runGirl88 likes this.
  23. Aug 19, 2022 at 8:09 PM
    Cyruswun21

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Vehicle:
    I think the 4runner is here to stay. Hopefully I will meetup with some people in Colorado on one of these forums to show me the ropes of back country :benchpress:

24. Aug 19, 2022 at 8:19 PM
    GrantA

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    NICE!!! Oh and hurry. I want to take devils pass. Maybe if I get back west sometime you can show me. ;)

25. Sep 9, 2022 at 9:35 AM
    BearBio

BearBio New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2019, Dark Blue SR5
    Roof rack, side bars
    We got rid of our Nissan Frontier when we got the 4Runner (also got rid of the Xterra in favor of an AWD RAV4). We have several good friends with full sized P/Us that we can borrow. We did use the Frontier for hauling stuff but we needed a bigger, more reliable SUV for trips (I need to take a fair number of medical supplies, including a walker and C-PAP and we worried about security with an open P/U). Here in the PNW, we need a 4WD a couple of months or more per year. The RAV4 is good most of the time but the 4Runner is nice when a big storm hits or when we travel the Cascades or Sierras on trips fall or winter trips and can't predict weather conditions.

Being retired (I don't hunt elk any more due to health), we don't do hardcore off-roading. Sounds like you are in a similar situation. I would not worry about the 4Runner becoming "obsolete"--the trend seems to be towards more complicated luxuries and the basic 4Runner has PLENTY of power to cross high mountain passes during winter or desert mudholes during the summer monsoons in the southwestern deserts. A stock 4Runner will do about anything a reasonable person can ask of it.

4runGirl88 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top