1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ignition question

Discussion in '3rd Gen 4Runners (1996-2002)' started by da324, Nov 15, 2019.

1. Nov 15, 2019 at 8:14 PM
    da324

da324 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hi everyone!. I'm new here to the forum. I just purchased a 2001 4Runner from my sister. She had it maintained regularly, but never had the plugs, wires, and coils changed. It's got 185k, but runs like a champ. The only issue is leaking valve covers. I figured I'd change the plugs and wires, while changing the gaskets, but was curious if anyone thinks I should replace the coils too? I prefer OEM, but those bad boys are expensive. Do coils get weak over time?

Thanks!

2. Nov 16, 2019 at 1:04 PM
    SlvrSlug

SlvrSlug Slightly bent.

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Ramona Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2017 4-Runner SR-5 P. Kings, Built Right uca’s, Durabumps, RSG sliders
    Sometimes you can stop the valve cover leak by tightening them down (a little). When i did my 02 i could turn them with my fingers, now mind you, just snug them up and see if that helps. Do not crank them down. Welcome to the forum

3. Nov 16, 2019 at 2:54 PM
    da324

da324 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hey, thanks! I checked and they are tight. They've been leaking a while as there is oil everywhere on the undercarriage and both sides of the motor below the covers. It pools up on the skid plate and blows back everywhere when driving. I'll get it all cleaned up. I have practice; the same thing happen with my Dodge Grand Caravan. Thanks again!

SlvrSlug likes this.
  4. Dec 10, 2019 at 8:10 AM
    negusm

negusm New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 4Runner SR5 4WD
    No, don't replace the coils. Not worth it. Since you need to take the Plenum off, buy 2 plenum gaskets from Toyota. Be aware they are 2 layer gaskets and you need 2. If you remove the throttle body, get a throttle body gasket. Toyota only.

IMHO, the valve covers are way easier to take off when you do a Timing Belt change. I do my own work, so I scheduled to do all of that at the same time. Honestly, you can drive forever with leaking valve covers...provided you keep adding oil.

Be aware that the old wiring harness cover will just disintegrate. Be very careful you don't drop any plastic into the head when the valve cover is off. I took a half a roll of electrical tape and just wrapped the whole thing from front to back before getting it loose. Also look up the Torque specs for the Plenum.

While I was in there I redid the injector o-rings. Only use Toyota O-Rings. They are thicker than the #6 ones the parts stores will give you.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  5. Dec 10, 2019 at 9:06 AM
    da324

da324 [OP] New Member

Member:

Thanks for the info. I do 95% of my work also. The timing belt was replaced at 120k, so it's only got 65k on it. I'm aware I can drive it with leaking valve covers, but the mess it makes drives me crazy and I like my motor and undercarriage to be clean so I can easily spot any new leaks that may occur. I'll definitely get a new gasket for the throttle body as I will clean both sides when it's off. Did not think about the injector o-rings, but will replace those too. Thanks again!

Products Discussed in

To Top