1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Icon tubular UCA issue(s)

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Sixgunz, Apr 21, 2022.

1. Apr 21, 2022 at 5:55 PM
    Sixgunz

Sixgunz [OP] Gold Member

Member:
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    2022 ORP
    Kings front and back, RSG sliders, GOBI ladder BFG AT 285s, OEM phone dial wheels, KDSS
    This post is not to bash on Icon, it's to give those considering their UCAs my experience. The following what I've been dealing with for the past 2 days.

I am getting towards the end of installing a lift on my '22 ORP. I bought new Icon tubular UCAs with their Delta Joint that are for my vehicle and from an authorized vendor.

They were packaged well and look good. The Delta Joint is a nice design.

Issue #1 (the main problem): Icon supplies new washers (8 in total) with their UCA kit, each side requiring 4, one on each side of each UCA bushing. The spacers all mic out at around .18" in thickness (VERY thick washers). There is not enough space between the open ends of my UCA to fit around the UCA pivot tube when I try to place a washer at each side, as noted in the instructions. It wasn't just that it was tight, I couldn't get the second washer in even with a rubber mallet. I have seen videos of Icon UCA installs where they apparently used to give 2 thicknesses of washers with their UCA kits, the thick ones go on the ends and the thin ones go against the tube. These washers are unique in that they are grade 8, 2 1/16" in diameter, with a .56" center hole. No "do it yourself" stores carry anything remotely close to this. They're proprietary. 2" grade 8 washers have a 3/4" center hole and fender washers are way too thin. I finally found a replacement that worked, 5 stores, 2 days, and 80 miles later. The washers used when erecting newly framed walls of a house are extremely close in size, they are .1" thick and are forged.

Issue #2: Icon did not protect the zerk fitting threads when they powdercoated my UCAs, thus the threads got powdercoated. This wouldn't have been noticed by me if Icon had installed the zerk fittings in the UCAs, however they did not. None of the 3 zerk fittings were installed on either UCA. Thus, the zerk fittings won't screw in on the 2 ends of each UCA (the Delta Joint top was not powdercoated, thus it screwed in easily). I didn't mention this problem to Icon. I think I cross threaded 2 of the zerk fittings because they're only in half way and if I apply any more torque, they'll snap. So, hopefully there's enough thread contact not to leak.

I called Icon 2 days ago when I first encountered the main problem with the washers because it stopped me in my tracks, so to speak. The man I spoke to in technical support said he had never heard of this problem. He asked me to send photos of problem to Icon, which I did. I received an automated response that said I would receive an answer within 24 - 48 hours.

It's now been well over 48 hours and I have yet to receive a reply from a person. Yes, I fixed the problem on my own today, but I shouldn't have to. I also could have ground down the pivot tube ends with an angle grinder, but again... I'm fortunate enough to have other vehicles to drive. Many people do not and the washer issue is an install-stopping problem.

This is the 1st time I've used Icon's UCAs. My last set was Total Chaos and they went in perfect and have been bullet proof. I feel foolish for trying something else, but oh well. I used Icon rear springs on my current ORP lift install and they were fine, as were the Icon leaf spring kit I installed on my Tacoma 2 weeks ago..so, it's obviously not a company wide problem.

So, if you're considering Icon tubular UCAs and you have a new T4R, you may want to be aware of the washer problem I encountered.

FWIW

kolter45 and SlvrSlug like this.
  2. Apr 21, 2022 at 6:15 PM
    Dillusion

Dillusion New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    KYle
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR
    I didn't have any issues with the washers fitting might just be a bad run or something. My zerk thankfully wasn't powder coated either.

But god did they squeak. Regularly greased them and even changed the bushings and the noise was unbearable.

3. Apr 21, 2022 at 10:57 PM
    Sixgunz

Sixgunz [OP] Gold Member

Member:
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    2022 ORP
    Kings front and back, RSG sliders, GOBI ladder BFG AT 285s, OEM phone dial wheels, KDSS
    IMO, the only grease that eliminates the squeak is:

https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn...g_eejTc1H2k7ULPDS88aAoIUEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

It's hard as heck to find, but it works.

nimby likes this.
  4. Apr 22, 2022 at 2:30 AM
    Toy4X4

Toy4X4 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2020 Offroad Prem. 4-runner
    RevTek 3" front- 2" rear leveling, JBA uca's, LED interior lights, Cooper 275-70-17 AT3 LT
    I can say that the JBA UCA's are sent with 2 different thickness of washers, the problem you experienced with the washers... could it be you need 1 of the washers to be thinner than the other? A fellow I know was going to put the Icon's on his Tacoma, I imagine they are about the same. Back to the washers a second. Would it help to use a shim (different thickness) washer of the right size? Then which one goes in front, and which one in back.

5. Apr 22, 2022 at 10:20 AM
    Dillusion

Dillusion New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    KYle
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR
    Mine was more than a small squeak. It was a major squeal over any slow small bump like something was dying under the 4R. So bad I got rid of it than deal with it.

6. Apr 22, 2022 at 11:08 AM
    Sixgunz

Sixgunz [OP] Gold Member

Member:
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    2022 ORP
    Yes, that's exactly it. They need to send 4 normal washers and 4 thinner ones. Here is the left side as it should look.

The right side should look identical, but there's not enough room to fit the washer in. Thus, there needs to be thinner washers on the inside surfaces for it to fit correctly.

Toy4X4[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Apr 23, 2022 at 1:50 AM
    Toy4X4

Toy4X4 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    RevTek 3" front- 2" rear leveling, JBA uca's, LED interior lights, Cooper 275-70-17 AT3 LT
    It's too bad they have to "string" you along with the automated reply about a response for your washer problem. The Icon's look like a well built product, when I told my friend about the zerks powder coated and the washer problem he decided to wait a while on which UCA's to buy. Did they ever respond to your problem? Thanx for the 'heads-up'.

8. Apr 23, 2022 at 1:02 PM
    Sixgunz

Sixgunz [OP] Gold Member

Member:
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    2022 ORP
    Unfortunately, they have not responded yet.

9. Apr 24, 2022 at 3:23 AM
    Toy4X4

Toy4X4 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    Dang! Don't feel too bad though, I sent a e-mail to JBA about a slight paint peel, they have not responded either, been a month or more. But they sent me an e-mail as to their e-mail account being hacked... not sure which e-mails to believe now, anyway, get your a-arms on and get it behind you, hopefully you get that response sooner than later!

10. Apr 28, 2022 at 2:36 PM
    Sixgunz

Sixgunz [OP] Gold Member

Member:
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    2022 ORP
    Well, Icon responded today...9 days later. In summary, they said I needed to use a dead blow hammer to get the 2nd washer in.

I tried everything shy of a sledge hammer to get that washer in...it wouldn't go. Anyway, all is well now..just got it aligned today.

Toy4X4 likes this.
  11. Mar 7, 2023 at 1:47 PM
    ayayr0n

ayayr0n New Member

Member:
    been trying to fit same UCA from Icon on my 23 Tacoma. Same exact issue...the washers provided are way too thick, and spent 2 days trying to find thinner washers. Icon rep on the phone told me just got muscle them on. they do not provide any other washer sizes.

So did you hit the washer in directly with a hammer?

12. Mar 7, 2023 at 2:22 PM
    Dillusion

Dillusion New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    KYle
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR
    Maybe that was part of my squealing problem as my washers I could slide in by hand no problem.

Too late to know now.

Products Discussed in

To Top