1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I unknowingly let a drug addict mess with my ignition, PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by 4Runner4Real, Mar 7, 2024.

1. Mar 7, 2024 at 1:27 PM
    4Runner4Real

4Runner4Real [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Vehicle:
    White 2005 4Runner
    So I had a neighbor that would come over and claim he went to school for electrical engineering and swore up and down that he could fix my sticky ignition, (at the time my key had started to leave me stranded for hours trying to turn over my ignition with no avail) so I reluctantly allowed him to work on it since I initially thought it was out of my wheelhouse, but all he did was tear it apart and make it so I could start my truck bypassing the ignition lock cylinder and just using a stupid screwdriver with the ignition switch while my key was dangling in the transponder reader in order to get me moving again. Turned out he was a heavy meth user and I moved out of there as fast as I could.
    Now, fast forward and I still have everything torn apart and I have decided to do the work myself since the dealership wanted almost $3,000 JUST to fix the ignition!

So here's where I'm at, I have a new ignition switch and new lock cylinder but the drug addict had actually removed the entire assembly and I can't seem to figure out:
    1. Where the assembly gets remounted near/on the steering column
    2. Whether or not I need new hardware to mount the assembly since the drug addict returned the assembly without any hardware or mounting back.
    3.If I need new hardware, where do i go to get it and what would it be called?

I have asked so many people to help, lol, this is my last resort so I sincerely appreciate any and all help and info!

IMG_20240307_132819912_HDR.jpg

2. Mar 7, 2024 at 2:15 PM
    Borracho Loco

Borracho Loco My 4Runner identifies as a Prius!

Member:
    Dallas/Ft Worth
    Vehicle:
    2023 40th Anniversary Special Edition
    Oooh look, another mod.....

upload_2024-3-7_16-15-55.jpg

steelevo and Superdave1.0 like this.
  3. Mar 7, 2024 at 2:43 PM
    Stoney Ranger

Stoney Ranger New Member

Member:
    Driftless Area
    Vehicle:
    '18 SR5 Nauti Blue
    4x Rockers/Skids-Dobi-275's-Fr/R Bpr-Winch-Stickers-ALF
  4. Mar 7, 2024 at 6:17 PM
    4Runner4Real

4Runner4Real [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Vehicle:
    White 2005 4Runner
    Lol, I'm sorry maybe I should have put that in the post, but yes I have exausted youtube, and for some weird reason, there is basically NOTHING for 4th gen 4Runner ignition videos...
    The link you sent was for 3rd Gen...

5. Mar 8, 2024 at 11:33 AM
    PointmanUSMC

PointmanUSMC New Member

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2023 Black TRD ORP 4 Runner Bronze Rims
    First off I feel your pain and am sorry you got jipped like that. It's happen to me on occasion.
    I have however worked on many other brand cars in the past to include ignition replacement. Have you considered purchasing something like a Chilton Manual? You tube is definitely your friend but in this case could be hard to find someone who has done it on video. The Chilton manual for your year make and model may give you an exploded view of your steering assembly or ignition part locations. It may also let you view if you are missing any assembly brackets. If you didn't want to attempt the repair yourself a good import shop can always be a better answer than the local stealership.

Good luck with it. I am sure it can be done given the right resources.

https://www.amazon.com/Toyota-4Runner-2003-Chilton-Automotive/dp/1563927683

Last edited: Mar 8, 2024
  6. Mar 8, 2024 at 11:37 AM
    icebear

icebear Recovered Kia Owner

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Toyota 4Runner SR5
    All else fails, try some quotes from independent shops first before going the dealer route.

If you're a Costco member there's a 15% discount on labor, parts some places participate in to which might make the dealer more appealing but very case-by-case/location dependent.

Products Discussed in

To Top