1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I think I've found the holy grail of AT tires.

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by MountainMan, Mar 8, 2022.

1. Mar 8, 2022 at 1:37 AM
    MountainMan

MountainMan [OP] New Member

Member:
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner MountainMan Edition
    The Goodyear Wrangler Ultra Terrain is the best tire I have ever ran. Period.

I bought a set from Discount Tire online and had a local shop mount and balance them. My previous tires were the Cooper Evolution MT and was seriously impressed by their performance off road and in deep snow. But, they were a little loud, and I did have them siped to deal with packed snow and ice. Still, great tires all around.

Then I got the Goodyears.

We got a bunch of snow, so I did a complete video review of their performance. It was impressive.

I got into some mud when things thawed out and was impressed by their ability to keep me moving in greasy mud.

I declared that if these tires did well in the desert, and were wearing OK, then they would be the best tire I have ever owned.

I just got back from a 3100-mile road trip down to the AZ/Mexico border and put on many miles in the desert. I did a quick review of them in sand, and they did well.

I have just over 5000 miles on them and I measured the tread depth for wear. I was nervous, because they are just so pliable and soft, which is awesome for traction, but bad for wear.

Not sure what voodoo Goodyear is using, but after 5000 miles of use in all conditions, I have 17/32" of tread left. I started with 18/32" of tread. I measured all four tires in different areas and they are all wearing perfectly even.

That's impressive.

They are quiet on the highway, stable, amazing in snow and great in mud and sand.

I see no reason to run any other tire.

download.png

2. Mar 8, 2022 at 4:04 AM
    JaSC

JaSC New Member

Member:
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    Black 2018 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium, crawl control and MTS
    ToyTec Lift, Dual Batt Redarc. Rear safe drawer, console safe, Aux 2004 JGC fuse box, Warn bumper, 12,000lb winch
    What about traction when raining? wet roads but not cold. I'm still looking for my next set.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  3. Mar 8, 2022 at 4:10 AM
    can0nfan2379

can0nfan2379 New Member

Member:
    Arid-zona
    Vehicle:
    2019 T4R ORP...2013 TRD OR DCSB Tacoma
    The Wrangler Ultra Terrain is Goodyear's in-house tire for Discount but quite similar to the Goodyear Duratracs that I previously ran on my Tacoma - no complaints about that tire at all.

Great report!

Thatbassguy likes this.
  4. Mar 8, 2022 at 5:04 AM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    The tread pattern looks pretty unique. I'll be interested to see how they hold up long term.

Who siped the Coopers for you? I've never noticed it as an option at any tire shops I've used.

5. Mar 8, 2022 at 12:41 PM
    MountainMan

Member:
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    I drove to Seattle and hit standing water at 60 mph and never experienced any hydroplaning. They never slipped when braking or accelerating on wet pavement. Headed to Seattle again this weekend, so will get to experience more wet weather.

JaSC[QUOTED] and Thatbassguy like this.
  6. Mar 8, 2022 at 12:44 PM
    MountainMan

Member:
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    The major regional tire chains do it out here. I had Les Schwab Tire do mine.

https://www.lesschwab.com/article/performance-tire-siping.html

7. Mar 8, 2022 at 1:48 PM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
  8. Mar 8, 2022 at 3:04 PM
    Trekker

Trekker Regular Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1997 3rz 5spd
    [​IMG]
    I know this is unrelated but am I the only person who prefers the look of the old goodyear font? I got the Wrangler Adventurers, and they've been great in everything, but I wish the white text looked like how it use to.

9. Mar 8, 2022 at 4:17 PM
    JaSC

JaSC New Member

Member:
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    Black 2018 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium, crawl control and MTS
    ToyTec Lift, Dual Batt Redarc. Rear safe drawer, console safe, Aux 2004 JGC fuse box, Warn bumper, 12,000lb winch
    Thanks for that info, our storm water run-off/pipes kinda suck so we always have huge amounts of standing water if it rains hard. I have Duratracs on that came with it and after wearing down they are horrible in water or wet roads. Slight tap and the rear will break loose.

Products Discussed in

To Top