1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I love the 2015 SR5. but have a problem with the steering being too sensitive to cross winds

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by kopo, Mar 20, 2015.

1. Mar 20, 2015 at 1:36 PM
    kopo

kopo [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    '15 Attitude Black SR5
    I love the 2015 SR5. but have a problem with the steering being to sensitive to cross winds. I have owned 4x4's for the last 20 years and never encountered a vehicle being blown all over the road by cross winds. It has electric power steering, which I never experienced before, and when you counter the push of a crosswind you hold the wheel, and when the push is decreased the vehicle wants to go in that direction, you counter steer and it wants to over steer. It honestly feels like a vehicle that has warren out tie rod ends, and just wants to go where ever it wants. More exaggerated at interstate speeds. Anybody else experience this?

2. Mar 20, 2015 at 8:28 PM
    wnelax04sr5

wnelax04sr5 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ethan
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2004 SR5 4X4 Galactic Gray
    i was just reading about the differences between conventional hydraulic and the now more prevalent electric power steering, and a sort of twitchy feel seems to be a common complaint. with the electric system, its been described as functioning more like an on/off light switch rather than a dimmer switch, where youre getting either all or nothing rather than gradual input and control. i doubt your TRE's are worn out already, but it couldn't hurt to have a mechanic give it a once over or have your alignment checked

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
    Emelianenkov and Bob like this.
  3. Mar 21, 2015 at 12:05 PM
    hellbent

hellbent New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 4runner
    stock
    I just bought a 2015 trail and i'm having the same problem but what i've noticed is that the steering wheel doesn't go back to a 12o'clock position after turning it will stop at a 10 degree to the right or left, You have to move it back yourself. took it back to the dealer i bought it from check the alignment everything checks out fine. You have to call Toyota corporate and make a claim so if enough people call they will write a new code to tell the electronic steering where center is.

4. Mar 21, 2015 at 1:53 PM
    kopo

kopo [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    '15 Attitude Black SR5
    Thanks for the responses. Taking it in for an alignment was my next step, even though I don't think it is out of alignment. I was very disappointed in the service manager for blowing it off, "what did you expect, 4runners sit high, of course the crosswind is going to push you". Time for a new dealer. I like the on-off switch in stead of dimmer switch theory, because that is how it behaves. Seeing that everything is electronic maybe at 65mph it turns off, don't need power steering at highway speeds.
    I have noticed the steering wheel is a couple of degrees off of 12 0'clock, but if the winds are pushing from the opposite directions, the steering wheel is a couple of degrees off in the opposite direction.

I would like to correspond with someone from the company, if you know of any names. I think the local dealers know less than I do!

5. Sep 28, 2016 at 6:05 PM
    huguesdo

huguesdo New Member

Member:
    Hi kopo, I just bought a 2015 (mid july) 4runner SR5 and I feel the same problem than you with the steering when the wind is blowing. Did you fix the problem? At your local toyota dealer?

6. Sep 29, 2016 at 11:29 AM
    j cat

j cat New Member

Member:
    massachusetts
    spacer lift front 1inch
    I aligned my new 4runner a month after purchasing it in July. steering was very sensitive to bumps / defects in road surface. the problem was the toe was set to zero . I set the toe slightly in problem solved.

when the front springs take a set [compress] the toe goes out then the steering being difficult to keep going straight.
    alignment shops can be lazy so if its close to the spec they will blow you off !

dealerships will not do alignments on new vehicles under warranty ..

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  7. Sep 29, 2016 at 3:32 PM
    huguesdo

huguesdo New Member

Member:
    Thanks, a negative setting is "toe out" compared to this picture?

8. Sep 30, 2016 at 5:31 AM
    j cat

j cat New Member

Member:
    massachusetts
    spacer lift front 1inch
    I may have made a mistake on toe in/out. the front edge of the tires should be in more than the rear .

as the vehicle moves up/down this toe will change. if the tires are always out then the steering control becomes very difficult.

9. Oct 23, 2016 at 3:25 PM
    TedRCASC

TedRCASC New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Just over a week ago, we had to drive our new '16 Trail west about 60 miles and, on the return trip, ran into 40-50 mph X winds. Leaves, tree branches, acorns, etc. were being blown straight across the 4-6 lane highway and pelted into the truck. So I took it easy in the right lane at 45-60 mph and had no problems, even in the strongest of the gusts. A little touch on the wheel was all it took to keep us in our lane. The Trail is a winner in my opinion. - Ted.

jester243 and Palerider like this.
  10. Oct 24, 2016 at 5:31 AM
    Palerider

Palerider New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD PRO quicksand
    Installed Rago brackets and 4" cube ditch lights. Weather tech mats. Cargo net. Cargo mat. Ordered Gobi rack with ladder.
    A solid vehicle for sure. Drove my Sons in a blinding rain storm and it trucked right along.

11. Oct 24, 2016 at 6:55 AM
    JBTRD

JBTRD As usual, saying something stupid

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2016 (The Real) Trail Edition
    Took my trail on a dirt road is some heavy winds, it behaved like any truck would in heavy winds.

Products Discussed in

To Top