1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I bought a 2004 4 runner for $1000, Then 3 days later i think the clutch went

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by allenduckie, Oct 3, 2021.

1. Oct 3, 2021 at 8:38 PM
    allenduckie

allenduckie [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    allen
    Vehicle:
    2004 toyota 4Runner limited 4.7L V-8
    none
    I bought the 2004 4-runner on Sunday she has 218,000 but she crnks right up oil was clean and it isnt burning oil.. interior is great, strong engine... But yesterday i was hauling about 15 2X6's and she started to seem like the clutch was slipping. i had to coax it, manually up shifting.. Amazingly i was able to get her home! i had a friend run a diagnostic but it was with a cheap $20 reader..
    The codes are as follows
    P0051: HEATER CONTROL SENSOR 1 CIRCUIT LOW BANK 2
    P0771: SHIFT SOLENOID E
    P0751: SHIFT SOLENOID A PERFORMANCE STUCK OFF
    P2714: PRESSURE CONTROL SOLENOID B PERFORMANCE STUCK OFF
    P2757: TORQUE CONVERTOR CLUTCH PRESSURE CONTROL SOLENOID CONTROL CIRCUIT
    P2757: PERFORMANCE STUCK OFF
    i cant seem to find a website with my year make and model of truck and that explains all these codes with solutions. im worried that im gonna have to have a rebuilt 4wheel tranny into her..
    ive been trying to find some ODB2 ELM327 Toyota Diagnostic Software so i can go much more in depth with her problems...but i cant seem to find any free or inexpensive software out there..
    when i had my 2012 ford fusion i downloaded diagnostic software from the ford site for free. does toyota offer the same? or does anyone have a better ODB2 diag software recommendations... Also from my codes that are already present is this just a few faulty solenoids or am i going to have to replaced the whole transmission!!!!1
    NEED HELP PLEASE!!!
    Thanks,
    Allen Duckworth

2. Oct 3, 2021 at 10:26 PM
    negusm

negusm New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 4Runner SR5 4WD
    You have an automatic. There are clutch packs but no clutch.

Did you check the transmission fluid level?

3. Oct 5, 2021 at 5:43 AM
    allenduckie

Member:
    First Name:
    allen
    Vehicle:
    none
    I know it's not a clutch it's just a generalization, one of the codes is p2757 which is the torque converter clutch pressure control I just said to clutch cuz it's sort of like a clutch... I guess I mean I'm not all that knowledgeable when it comes to transmissions and head gaskets I can do anything on the outside of a tranny or an engine block when I was 18 years old I had a 75 Chevy Monza and it threw a rod didn't break the block or anything but I proceeded to take things in apart not bagging or labeling them and then I was left in the center of a pile of different parts not knowing where anything went ever since then it kind of scares me to go that deep into an engine

4. Oct 5, 2021 at 10:54 AM
    negusm

negusm New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 4Runner SR5 4WD
    Sorry for being tedious, I never try to assume anything anymore. People start saying things in weird ways and before you know it we're diagnosing the problem completely wrong.

Did you check the fluid level? My best guess is that the transmission may have a pretty bad issue...unless it's just starved for fluid which would cause those symptoms.

5. Oct 18, 2021 at 12:38 PM
    allenduckie

Member:
    First Name:
    allen
    Vehicle:
    none
    many thanks for the fluid level idea totally empty!!!! she had two major leaks in the metal trans fluid line behind the radiator i bypassed it until i pull the part from LKQ
    lol but now after putting her up on ramps the parking brake seized the rear wheels i jacked her up kicked the ramps out and she runs again but i think the rear brakes have a issue still probaly from diuse and rust is it simple to diengage the parking brake from the rotor?

6. Oct 18, 2021 at 1:05 PM
    negusm

negusm New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 4Runner SR5 4WD
    Thanks for letting us know. Always check your fluids! Hope it didn't cause any damage.

Moon Landing likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top