1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

hydraulic struts issue with parts

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by seavibe, Apr 28, 2021.

1. Apr 28, 2021 at 7:23 PM
    seavibe

seavibe [OP] New Member

Member:
    I was told my 2004 Toyota 4runner Limited 4WD V8 needs front struts, strut mounts, and stabilizer link bar. We ordered the parts on RockAuto.

Parts ordered:
    Stabilizer Bar End Link/Bushing MOOG K90683 front right, MOOG K90677 front left;

GABRIEL struts G51739(2) Ultra Info Front; Limited; SR5 Model; Except X-REAS Suspension

Strut Mount GABRIEL 143383 Front; Mount w/ Isolator, Cushion, Retainers & Nuts

My mechanic said they are the wrong parts because I have hydraulic struts. Is that the same as adjustable struts? or X-reas?

Does anyone have any experience with this and what parts I should have ordered? The vehicle is squeaking a lot over bumps. Not much clunking, just a sound that sounds like a chain shaking.

This is my 1st 4runner. I'm in the USVI and the roads are treacherous, so I want to keep the suspension in good shape.

Thank you for any advice you can offer!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
  2. Apr 30, 2021 at 8:00 AM
    Toy Yoda

Toy Yoda New Member

Member:
    4runners dont have struts, they are just coil over shocks.

Hydraulic means they are xreas with fluid running through lines, if they need to be replaced you can just remove the lines & shocks & replace with what you bought. However, I would suggest returning the gabriel & separate mounts & buy the KYB shocks that come with the mounts already installed & new springs in the front, they have a very good ride & will get the 4runner back to stock height plus about 1" in the front. Lifetime warranty & priced about $100ea for complete fronts & $50ea for rear shocks & you should be able to keep the rear springs if the rear sits good with no sagging or super high miles.

Buy the 4WD fronts that are left & right specific & make sure the mechanic knows what side goes where, they are marked on the box. Not sure whats causing the squeaking but the KYBs are great shocks & much better than gabriel or monroe.

3. Jun 20, 2023 at 4:35 PM
    Gorgor

Gorgor New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gordon
    Vehicle:
    2019 4 runner
    None
    My 2019 has some squeaks going over speed bumps
    A toyota dealer says I need to replace left front and right rear for $4,000

another quote from auto Xperia says to replace both left and right front for $2,000 and that he can get toyota parts ( this guy says front right is leaking )

a third source says they can’t order toyota hydraulic parts which is what is needed but says there’s no leaking and the struts are fine

can hydraulics struts by toyota be ordered by other mechanics

I don’t know what to do next I feel ripped

4. Jun 20, 2023 at 4:40 PM
    Dillusion

Dillusion New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    KYle
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR
    You only bought the front. Buy the rear and tell your mechanic to rip out the XREAS.

5. Jun 20, 2023 at 5:24 PM
    Gorgor

Gorgor New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gordon
    Vehicle:
    2019 4 runner
    None
    Say again not sure I understand
    And
    What’s XREAS

6. Jun 20, 2023 at 6:03 PM
    gkomo

gkomo New Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma AC 4x4
    XREAS is Toyotas suspension system on select models that basically link all four corners of shocks together with hydraulic lines. Supposed to make the ride more comfortable and ‘planted’ but I’d guess that’s subjective. What people are suggesting is just rip all that out and you can just put the stuff you bought in (you’ll have to buy new rear shocks though as well). XREAS can only be replaced with XREAS parts, but if you just rip that system out you are free to put whatever normal shocks/coil overs/struts (sorry always confused which ones Toyota uses) you want.

see you bought Gabriel struts but they say “except XREAS” so they wouldn’t work with you’re existing suspension.

so you have two options. 1. Return your Gabriel parts and buy XREAS hydraulic parts, or 2. Keep your parts, buy rear shocks, rip out the whole XREAS system and install what you have purchased already.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2023
  7. Jun 20, 2023 at 6:29 PM
    xtremewlr

xtremewlr New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2003 4Runner V8 Limited 4WD
    Lots with more in the works

Products Discussed in