1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How to get rid of a smell in your vehicle if all else fails. "We don't want the funk."

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Benny123, Apr 4, 2019.

1. Apr 4, 2019 at 4:17 AM
    Benny123

Benny123 [OP] Toyota enthusiast

Member:
    Southeast Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2016 Nautical Blue SR5 Premium
    LEDs all around, otherwise bone stock.
    Been dealing with a faint stale smoke smell in my Tacoma the past year when temps are above 70, not horrible, but always there. Of course the dealer hid it well, and it didnt appear for over a month.

I detailed the car several times since, cleaned the carpet an upholstery, replaced the floormats, tried air fresheners, vinegar, lemons, baking soda. Smell still there.

I read a detailer post on TacomaWorld about ozonators for this issue, and finally broke down and bought one. I bought a refurb enerzen on ebay for $50. Strong recommend.

FINALLY. The smell is gone. I am thrilled. If you have a smell you just cant shake, buy or rent an ozonator.

How I did it. 30 mins run time. 30 minutes sitting with windows closed, 30 mins airing out. All while unoccupied.

There are precautions to using ozone, the most important of which is not breathing it in, eg the reason to air it out. It says right on the device not to use it in occupied spaces.

Most people say ozone lasts 30 mins, but some biochem sites say this is incorrect, half life is 25 hours at 70 degrees, which is why you have to allow it out of your vehicle.

Watch the following 2 videos, then decide if using an ozonator is right for you. Worked perfect for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3ma3gxPdoE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8FYXEHFhqI

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    gdvan01 likes this.
  2. Apr 4, 2019 at 4:30 AM
    Large

Large New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Red
    Another good trick I learned from an old lady that owned a truck stop -

Ground coffee in perforated bags, place one under each seat .. replace daily or every other day until the smell is gone.

3. Apr 4, 2019 at 7:12 AM
    MeefZah

MeefZah ---

Member:
    Lexington, Ohio
    A dollop of Vicks Vapo Rub under your nose helps when dragging decomposing corpses around. You can always go that route!

eaglescout and nimby like this.
  4. Apr 4, 2019 at 7:43 AM
    aroyalsfan

aroyalsfan The Owner

Member:
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner SR5 Premium - Midnight Black Metallic(218) - 4WD
    Westin Pro Traxx 5 Hood and side window deflectors Black exhaust tip Tinted front windows Billet grill overlay Badge Overlays painted Cavalry Blue Powder coated stock Trail Wheels gloss black 12 Volt Solutions plug and play remote start To do list: led swap Speaker upgrades Sound deadening doors Maybe list: rear backup sensors
    Feed a bunch of fat dudes beans, broccoli, and hard boiled eggs and then go on a road trip with them with the windows locked and the heater on.

nimby likes this.
  5. Apr 4, 2019 at 8:29 AM
    MattMo

MattMo Life's too short not to!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD ORP KDSS Magnetic Gray
    TRD Cold Air intake system Pro-Comp Vertigo with BFG LT285/70R17 KO2 ICON 0-3.5" Suspension System - Stage 2 (Tubular) ICON Rear shock shin guards ICON Adjustable track bar RSG METALWORKS Angled sliders with a kick RSG METALWORKS KDSS Skid plate Metal Tech Rear Bump Stop Drops RAD RUBBER DESIGN Nitrile Rubber Engine SPLASH GUARDS Body Armor BackBone Hitch Skid AVS Hood and Window vents Front windows and Moon Roof Tinted Pedal Commander Wet Okole seat covers LED lights in and out RAGO Modular Storage Panel System Driver and Passenger RAGO Low Profile ditch light brackets with Baja Designs Squadron Sport Driving/ Combo LED Lights RAGO Ditch Bracket Antenna Extension for the Go Pro RAGO Antenna Mount - Stainless Steel Secondary Air Pump replaced the foam to a Uni Filter UP-107 1” clamp-on breather. Fog Lights changed to Xenon Depot Xtreme LED Pro H16 Yellow Bulbs Lamin-X protective film in Yellow C4 Fabrication Rear Diff Skid Plate Lamin-X door cup clear scratch protectors Diode Dynamics Tail as Turn Kit (Tail as Turn™ Module +Backup Module) with XP80 LED Cool White for old turn signals GOBI ladder Overland Equipped Bolt-On Steps RotopaX Ladder Mount Brackets for RotopaX Fuel cans SDHQ ABS Speed Sensor Guards Smittybilt Element Ramps ArcLight LEDs Icarus Hatch Lights eXtreme ARTEC INDUSTRIES Toyota 5G Venture Roof Cross Bars Silver Wing Clam Shell Rooftop Tent Anytime Backup and Front Camera Full Kit (Camera and Switch) ARB Differential Breather Kit Diaz Fabrication Devil Horns clear anodize Pro-Comp LED Rock Lights ARTEC INDUSTRIES 5G Venture bumper with Smittybuilt winch ABB 2500 awning GOBI Stealth full w/moon roof (ARB and Shovel Axe mounts) On order:
    A couple jars of these pickled quail eggs and a side of Kimchi do the trick ;)
    qeggs.jpg

6. Apr 4, 2019 at 9:20 AM
    nimby

nimby in the drink

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    California
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5P
    :rofl:

7. Apr 4, 2019 at 9:32 AM
    Dillusion

Dillusion New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    KYle
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR
    I didn't realize they made 2ft extension cords in the first video......

8. Apr 4, 2019 at 11:06 PM
    Kerrhau

Kerrhau New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 4Runner 4x4 v6
    I have an older crown vic as my work car, it got flooded and well they weren’t gonna fix it. So I wet vacuumed it, oxy/ baking soda, wet vacuumed again then literally poured 2 gallons of vinegar in it. Let that soak in wet vacuumed again. Smell all gone, no odor at all.

Silverrunner likes this.
  9. Aug 11, 2019 at 7:34 PM
    clrems77

clrems77 New Member

Member:
    Bamboo charcoal. You can buy it on Amazon for under $20. Absorbs all odors and uses UV rays from the sun to recharge every few months. Used it for years with great results!

Products Discussed in

To Top