1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How much could I get for parting out my 04 SR5 4x4?

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by RomaniGypsy, Feb 5, 2020.

1. Feb 5, 2020 at 8:20 AM
    RomaniGypsy

RomaniGypsy [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2004 4Runner SR5 4WD, 2014 Prius v, 1972 Cadillac Calais
    I really don't want to part it out because it still runs and drives well, but it seems like I can't get a reasonable offer where I live as far as selling it, and therefore I want to know what's the baseline "I could part it out for more than your pathetic offer" number.

It has about 229K miles and a rust-free frame and body. V6 engine that needs a valve cover gasket job and an exhaust gasket job but is otherwise in good shape. A/C doesn't work. Beyond that, it seems to be in good shape. If you don't know the value of the whole car as a parts car, give me the values you do know for certain popular components when sold as parts.

Maybe I'll post it as a classified ad on this site at some point, but I can say that I'm sick of the $2,000 offers I get around here. I'm sure I could part it out for more than that, especially since I'd be keeping the wheels and tires for use with the Sequoia we just bought, which takes the exact same size tires and has the exact same lug pattern. (Had to upsize due to having another baby.)

2. Feb 5, 2020 at 8:35 AM
    catus

catus New Member

Member:
    Centennial, CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Double Cab TRD Limited
    No major mods yet
    What's your asking price? Curious of the difference between asking price and $2000.

3. Feb 5, 2020 at 9:08 AM
    Dillusion

Dillusion New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    KYle
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR
    AC not working and some work needing to be done $2k sounds about right.

Buyer is taking the risk nothing else is wrong

4. Feb 5, 2020 at 9:33 AM
    catus

catus New Member

Member:
    Centennial, CO
    Vehicle:
    No major mods yet
    Agreed. I'd probably just take the $2000 and be done with it. Maybe advertise it for $2999 or whatever price and take a little less? If I was buying a truck that old with known issues, I'd be wondering what else may be wrong and would adjust my buying price accordingly.

5. Feb 5, 2020 at 9:17 PM
    RomaniGypsy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Y'all aren't answering my question. What could I get for it if I parted it out for everything people would be likely to buy as parts?

6. Feb 5, 2020 at 9:55 PM
    catus

catus New Member

Member:
    Centennial, CO
    Vehicle:
    No major mods yet
    $37. Seriously, it's whatever people are willing to pay for the parts...I don't think anyone here can really assign a dollar value, especially if we don't see the truck or know how you're going to split it up. I'd check craigslist in your area to see what parts are going for, and work from there.

7. Feb 6, 2020 at 6:08 AM
    RomaniGypsy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    You can't tell me, for example, what a running 4.0 of "unknown provenance" goes for? What a working 4 speed auto trans goes for? What a rust-free frame goes for? Etc.

It seems to me that these numbers ought to be universal. But maybe people can talk about what they've paid for these used parts. People can price complete cars fairly because they can easily see, online, how much others are listing for. To my observation, no such service exists for used parts, and no proper comparison can be made to new parts other than to say "a used one is worth a good bit less". So if I just throw numbers, I will have no way of knowing whether or not I'm pricing everything correctly.

8. Feb 6, 2020 at 7:43 AM
    catus

catus New Member

Member:
    Centennial, CO
    Vehicle:
    No major mods yet
    Nope, I can't. Maybe someone else can. That's why I suggested craigslist. See what similar items are going for in your area. On the Denver craigslist, someone is parting a 2006. Asking prices are:
    • transfer case 650
    • transmission 600$
    • body shell with title 1000$
    • frame 800$
    No info on miles and he didn't list the engine, but I don't know if this is high or low or spot on. Do some research, list them, see if they sell.

Londonrain likes this.
  9. Feb 6, 2020 at 8:33 AM
    Dougie

Dougie New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Vehicle:
    '19 TRD ORP
    Honestly, it’s probably worth getting less money to just get it off your hands and sell it as is. You’re talking about a giant pain in the ass in parting it out. Not worth the time if it runs and you don’t already have the knowledge for how much everything is worth.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
    catus likes this.
  10. Feb 6, 2020 at 8:57 AM
    aroyalsfan

aroyalsfan The Owner

Member:
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner SR5 Premium - Midnight Black Metallic(218) - 4WD
    Westin Pro Traxx 5 Hood and side window deflectors Black exhaust tip Tinted front windows Billet grill overlay Badge Overlays painted Cavalry Blue Powder coated stock Trail Wheels gloss black 12 Volt Solutions plug and play remote start To do list: led swap Speaker upgrades Sound deadening doors Maybe list: rear backup sensors
  11. Feb 6, 2020 at 8:58 AM
    Dillusion

Dillusion New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    KYle
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR
    You answered your own question here. Used parts $ will always depend on supply and demand. Locally it might not sell but throw it up on e-bay it might fly out the door.

Not sure why you would part out a running vehicle to begin with.

catus likes this.
  12. Feb 6, 2020 at 11:34 AM
    RomaniGypsy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    You must've been absent from kindergarten the day the class was taught about what "being helpful" means.

I live in an area where nobody pays market value for anything except cigarettes, beer, and drugs. Everything else - they want to get something for nothing. Put up an ad around here to sell a car worth $10,000 for a mere $1,000 and some irritating dude will offer you "TREE FIDDY". That's why I'd suggest parting out a running vehicle. If it's worth significantly more as a parts car than as a whole car, I may as well sell the valuable parts. Also, as I said before, I can see keeping the rims for my Sequoia, so that I can put on a set of winter tires when the weather gets nasty and use lower rolling resistance "summer tires" during the rest of the year. Were it not for that, I probably wouldn't have considered parting it out.

13. Feb 6, 2020 at 12:21 PM
    Dillusion

Dillusion New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    KYle
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR
    Yes you might make more in the long run.

But you are also going to have to sit on parts if they don't sell. So you might not make your $2k for couple months/years down the road. Is the wait worth it? If it is go for it but prices change all the time as well. Thinking someone here will post a $ for every single part in the 4R is just crazy.

14. Feb 6, 2020 at 4:05 PM
    RomaniGypsy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I wouldn't expect every part price to be posted. But the big stuff that everyone buys ought to give me some idea. Then if there are pennies to be made in every little knob, button, and bolt, so be it.

Or maybe I'll just sell it as a whole car. Just weighing my options.

15. Feb 6, 2020 at 4:31 PM
    aroyalsfan

aroyalsfan The Owner

Member:
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner SR5 Premium - Midnight Black Metallic(218) - 4WD
    Westin Pro Traxx 5 Hood and side window deflectors Black exhaust tip Tinted front windows Billet grill overlay Badge Overlays painted Cavalry Blue Powder coated stock Trail Wheels gloss black 12 Volt Solutions plug and play remote start To do list: led swap Speaker upgrades Sound deadening doors Maybe list: rear backup sensors
    Nope just saw you were being a dick and complaining about people not answering your question. This is a great community full of helpful people, nice people, and those who aren't demanding or confrontational. You won't get very far on here complaining about people, because a lot of us, including myself, won't lift a finger to help some whiney cry baby like you. When your mom calls you up stairs for dinner you should ask her what she'd give your for your parts. That is that after you get done throwing a fit about not liking broccoli. Peace out baby boy. Don't stay up past your bed time.

importman and catus like this.
  16. Feb 6, 2020 at 5:06 PM
    Dillusion

Dillusion New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    KYle
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR
    Doesn't work like that.

You name a part and maybe you will get a $ amount. Won't work if you just ask people to start shooting prices for parts.

17. Feb 9, 2020 at 4:39 AM
    RomaniGypsy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    This is about what I'd expect from a serious sports fan. You represent well.

Okay, well, to me, here are the big things:

Engine (4.0L V6 w/VVT-i)
    Transmission (4-speed auto)
    Transfer case
    Doors (rust free, price can be for each one)
    Frame (rust free)
    Seats (price can be for each one)
    Windshield

Beyond that, it seems that everything else is either "little stuff" or unlikely to have much demand.

Products Discussed in

To Top