1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How can I definitively check that my 4wd is in fact not working

Discussion in '3rd Gen 4Runners (1996-2002)' started by Trekker, Feb 12, 2021.

1. Feb 12, 2021 at 9:58 AM
    Trekker

Trekker [OP] Regular Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1997 3rz 5spd
    Started snowing here. Put my 4runner into 4wd and going up hill it still has its rear sliding out like crazy like I'm still in 2wd. It doesn't feel right, but I cant tell if its my imagination or the 4wd is actually out. Is there an easy way to check definitively that I have lost 4wd?

I tried gunning it in 4wd in a snowy parking lot to see if the front tires would through up snow but they didn't seem to be spinning all that much. There was also no snow thrown up under the wheel well, but that was the same for the rear tires that do spin.

Also my 4wd light is out, it might have something to do with the loose wire that came undone. The wire that is loose doesn't look original though, where under the dash does the wire controlling the 4wd light connect with the instrument cluster?

2. Feb 12, 2021 at 11:36 AM
    4scooter19

4scooter19 New Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    98 and 86 4Runners
    Put it up on jackstands and put it in 4 wheel drive. Any 4wheel drive vehicle I've owned ( which has been a lot) it's pretty evident when it's in 4wheel drive. There's a procedure for switching the vacuum lines on the ADD to verify the actuator is working. I've never done it but you could prolly Google it.

Products Discussed in

To Top