1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hood scoop paint rubbing/chipping?

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by nodents2017, Mar 26, 2023.

1. Mar 26, 2023 at 1:11 PM
    nodents2017

nodents2017 [OP] New Member

Member:
    I have a 2022 TRD Off-road and it appears that my hood scoop is rubbing against the hood and causing some paint to chip/rub off. Anyone have this issue on their hood? I’m paranoid about rust forming on this vehicle so I’m tempted to remove the hood scoop and touch up the paint. If anyone resolved this issue in the past, I’d be interested to hear what you did. The hood scoop seems easy enough to remove but I’m concerned if I just touch up the paint and reinstall, it will still make contact and rub through again.

E2AF5CD7-97AA-4FFC-A991-DF2E15BF7529.jpg

2. Mar 26, 2023 at 2:41 PM
    mac1usa

mac1usa New Member

Member:
    Try doing a search on this topic as I recall reading of someone else having a similar issue and I believe with lunar rock. I am not trying to be a smart Aleck as I think someone really did have this issue last year maybe. I think the dealer did repainted that area for that person

3. Mar 26, 2023 at 3:46 PM
    nodents2017

Member:
    You don’t sound like a smart Aleck at all! You were right I did find a post about a 2021 4Runner that had this issue. Thanks!

If anyone else experienced this issue I would be interesting in hearing what you did about it.

mac1usa[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Mar 26, 2023 at 7:04 PM
    Tooly

Tooly New Member

Member:
    Okanagan, BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner ORP
    I had this on my 2021 Nautical Blue. Caught it before it got too bad. Touched up the paint and bought new gaskets and applied them to the scoop so they sit closer to the edge of the scoop if that makes sense.

5. Mar 26, 2023 at 7:21 PM
    glwood54

glwood54 Stop making me buy stuff!

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR, KDSS, RSG sliders, Eibach shocks, 265/70 Falken Wildpeaks
    Do you have a photo from further back? It's hard to tell where this is happening...

6. Mar 26, 2023 at 7:25 PM
    mac1usa

mac1usa New Member

Member:
    I saw the other post I think last summer/fall. I checked my 21 ORP with Xpel on hood and scoop and all looked ok. I only have 830 miles on it though so I am guessing more driving/vibration.

It made me wonder though if Xpel on both surfaces is helping ?

7. Mar 27, 2023 at 5:27 AM
    nodents2017

Member:
    I think that makes sense. Just to make sure I’m understanding you, it sounds like you are saying that you installed new gaskets further out closer to the edges of the hood scoop to better maintain a clearance gap between the hood and the scoop. Correct? I’m assuming if the gasket is too far in towards the center of the hood scoop then it allows the scoop to flex more at the edges.

Edit: Did you remove the original gasket and if so, how difficult was it to remove? I looked up some images and it looks like the gaskets are attached with adhesive.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2023
  8. Apr 3, 2023 at 11:06 AM
    nodents2017

Member:
    For anyone wondering… I ordered new gaskets from Toyota. Removed the hood scoop and peeled off the gaskets. Make sure to use a heat gun (aka your wife’s hair dryer) and apply some heat as you peel off the gaskets otherwise you will leave the adhesive residue behind and will be a pain to remove it. I noticed the gaskets applied from the factory were spaced inward about 5/16 from the edge of the hood scoop which I think is what was allowing the edges to make contact with the hood. I touched up some of the paint chips with Dr.Colorchip which was a little bit of a pain since they weren’t on a flat surface. Took a couple applications to get it right. Reinstalled the hood scoop and put everything back together.

100% was not worth the effort and for anyone who comes across this in the future I would recommend leaving it be. My reason for doing it was to avoid rust from forming but in hindsight, I would have just let it go and just replace the hood altogether down the road if that turned out to be an issue or do a hood swap with a non hood scoop model.

Products Discussed in

To Top