1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help with Rubbing Expectations

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by docnab, Nov 8, 2022.

1. Nov 8, 2022 at 10:03 AM
    docnab

docnab [OP] New Member

Member:
    First of all, I am new to this world as I have just purchased a used 2019 Off-Road Premium.
    It is my daily driver, and minimal offroad use will be done, I do do a lot of ski trips though in WV. I am looking for more of a aggresive stance than stock and minimal suspension lift with better ride in regards to nose dive and body roll so after some research I decided to pull trig. Here is what's happening and I am very afraid that I have made some terrible decisions on my choices. I have purchased the following:
    5100 Bilstein Leveling Kit (will be set at 1.75)
    Cornfed Rear Spacers (1")
    275/70/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3
    and lastly.... 17x9 (-12 offset) Fuel vector wheels.

Front mudflaps removed, and inner fender liner mod done.
    and heres what im scared of; I am scared that with the -12 offset, that I will have some major rubbing issues on the body mount. I am not scared of fender rubbing since I can chop some off to accommodate for the tires.
    And with this, my other mistake is already having a shop mount and balance the tires and wheels together in order to prepare for my leveling kit to be installed this weekend. So I am not able to return my wheels.
    Now looking at it, what I shouldve done is get 17x8.5 (0 offset) so rubbing with not be an issue, and if so very minimal that can be resolved with some trimming.
    I am trying to avoid a body mount chop so am just very afraid I have made a costly mistake.

So heres my question. What are the thoughts on this? Am I out of luck? Am I going to have to get another set of wheels and maybe sell the ones I already purchased?

I am also planning for the shop to do my alignment to get the best possible outcome for this but I dont think thats going to help much with adjusting the caster since I am not planning to replace my UCA.

Please let me know what you guys think.

Thanks!

2. Nov 8, 2022 at 10:12 AM
    Mtbpsych

Mtbpsych New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    You can ask the shop to give adjust your caster on your alignment as close as they can to 4 degrees. On stock upper control arms it’ll be hard but they can probably get you somewhere around 3 degrees which should help clear the body mount. Those are wide wheels, so you’ll most likely rub but no telling for sure. I’m running 17x9 with -38mm offset on 295’s and had to get a small body mount chop, along with upper control arms to help dial in the alignment.

3. Nov 8, 2022 at 10:25 AM
    docnab

docnab [OP] New Member

Member:

Thanks for your response, did you do the BMC yourself or have a shop do it? And what lift are you running to fit the 295s?

4. Nov 8, 2022 at 10:29 AM
    Mtbpsych

Mtbpsych New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    Shop did it all. Just a 3” lift and 2” in the rear. It’s more so in the alignment I’m getting the tires to not rub than the actual lift. @Thatbassguy has 2” in the front I believe.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  5. Nov 8, 2022 at 10:31 AM
    docnab

docnab [OP] New Member

Member:
    gotcha, was there any point in time where you ran that setup without the BMC? What did you notice ride wise, cuz I may have to wait a couple weeks until I can get around the BMC

6. Nov 8, 2022 at 10:50 AM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts New Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    22 LR ORP
    Sherpa Crestone. 4X Innovations Sliders
    are you keeping the original wheels and tires?

If you have rubbing with the new setup, just put on the old wheels and tires until you can address the rub.

7. Nov 8, 2022 at 11:07 AM
    docnab

docnab [OP] New Member

Member:
    Yeah that's probably what I am going to have to do.

Spare Parts[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Nov 8, 2022 at 4:28 PM
    Shock Surplus

Shock Surplus New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner Trail
    3 Linked Rear, 35s
    If you are super against doing a BMC your best bet would probably be to purchase a UCA like the SPCs and asking an offroad alignment shop to give you ask much positive caster as they can, that will move your wheel away from the body mount, but with that being said you will most likely start rubbing against the front bumper and be forced to trim up there. But yea BMCs are so common now and haven't met anyone where it has caused a problem so biting the bullet and getting it chopped would be the most simple solution

9. Nov 9, 2022 at 5:33 AM
    docnab

docnab [OP] New Member

Member:
    thanks for feedback, yeah honestly that's what I probably will have to do. But just wondering if I can get a couple weeks of rubbing on body mount until I can get around the BMC. Will it hurt anything?

10. Nov 9, 2022 at 8:46 AM
    Shock Surplus

Shock Surplus New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner Trail
    3 Linked Rear, 35s
    Oh yea you should definitely be fine for a couple weeks, the sound won't be pleasant if you rub but you shouldn't damage anything unless you really force it in there some how. You will also probably learn very quickly how much you can turn your wheel to before it starts to rub. For reference when I put on my new wheels and 35s and was waiting on a body mount relocate I was only able to turn the wheel about half a turn before my wheel absolutely could not turn anymore and I was still able to get around town

11. Nov 9, 2022 at 9:15 AM
    glwood54

glwood54 Stop making me buy stuff!

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR, KDSS, RSG sliders, Eibach shocks, 265/70 Falken Wildpeaks
    @docnab - don't see where you live, but have you gotten any estimates or had any shops look at your 4R? I'd recommend comparing the cost of aftermarket upper control arms vs. a BMC, just to know the cost difference.

You might post in the regional section for shop recommendations.

Also - yes, those 275 Falkens are HEAVY. :militarypress:

KDSS or not?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2022
    SlvrSlug and nimby like this.
  12. Nov 9, 2022 at 9:22 AM
    docnab

docnab [OP] New Member

Member:
    Yeah, almost blew my back out loading them mounted to the fuel wheels tbh. But I really didnt want an E load and with these size, it was slim pickins. So the C rated would suffice for now. Wish the KO2s came in Cs at 275. But yeah I found a guy from tacoma world near me that would be the body mount chop for a very good price, including the plates as well. But might not able to get to it for a couple weeks

13. Nov 15, 2022 at 6:42 AM
    docnab

docnab [OP] New Member

Member:
    [​IMG]
    update: no rubbing with inner liner mod and removed mudflaps.

14. Nov 15, 2022 at 2:56 PM
    surfingbuddhist

surfingbuddhist New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Glen
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner
    That looks great!

Products Discussed in

To Top