1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help with Pro Fox 2.0 Suspension Upgrade

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by steelerfan, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Oct 21, 2019 at 7:21 PM
    steelerfan

steelerfan [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 T4R TRD Pro (black)
    Hey everyone, need some advice on lifting a 2019 4runner TRD Pro. The use will be traveling the Trans America Trail hauling a small teardrop style camper/trailer. The terrain will be moderate trails, no rock crawling. Overall, I think that the best size tires for this will be 285-70-17’s; however I will need to make some suspension changes for a couple of reasons.

With the limited use that I have been able to test (i.e. dirt/gravel roads), the factory Fox 2.0 Pro suspension, seems to be working well. I do have a slight nose dive while braking but ride comfort both on and off road has been good. Something to consider, I will be adding aftermarket bumpers both front and rear prior to my trip.

My question is will the TRD Pro Fox 2.0 suspension play well with an aftermarket spring upgrade? Obviously, I’ll need a stiffer spring to accommodate the load of the aftermarket bumpers and gear/trailer tongue weight; however, don’t want to sacrifice a lot of flex or ride quality.

I have a friend that upgraded his suspension on his 4runner with Billstein 5100’s, OME springs in the front and ICON springs in the rear and was able to fit 285-70-17’s on his vehicle with very minimal trimming of the front fender liners and did not need to upgrade his UCA’s (in spec at alignment).

I’m looking to try the same; however, wanted to keep the stock pro 2.0 Fox components that are currently on the vehicle.

Also, spoke with Toytec today and was advised that they do not currently have a spring upgrade that plays well with the Fox 2.0 components. Advised that I remove the suspension altogether and start over. And, if I wanted the same ride quality as the Fox 2.0 that Ill need to consider a higher end suspension lift (i.e. OME BP 51).

Any suggestions/thoughts/experience??

Strandskov likes this.
  2. Oct 22, 2019 at 7:49 PM
    RusPro17

RusPro17 Back home again!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Pa.
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Pro Solar Octane
    SCS wheels and Westcott lift
    Yeah over in the other forum I was emailing Mike from dobinson suspension direct pulls up there web site. Really good reviews on this suspension. He told me they don’t have the springs to go with the fox. You need to replace it all. There is a dealer close to me that puts this suspension on brand new 4runners and tundras. The salesman tried to talk me into adding it to my Pro. But I’m waiting on 2020 Army green to come in.

Strandskov likes this.
  3. Oct 23, 2019 at 10:39 AM
    steelerfan

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 T4R TRD Pro (black)
    @RusPro17 Yes, totally happy with the suspension as is, except for the fact that you cant do a spring upgrade on it (and keep the ride quality). When I spoke to ToyTec they said that they are working on it and the last test that they just recently performed on a prototype failed.

So, with the need to upgrade springs from a weight perspective as well as a minor lift to accommodate a slight increase in tire size, I'm stuck for now. ToyTec did say that they were continuing their research and development for a fix.

Strandskov likes this.
  4. Oct 23, 2019 at 10:42 AM
    steelerfan

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 T4R TRD Pro (black)
    @Strandskov I plan to avoid the extreme trails as Ill be hauling an off road camper but one never knows until you get out there. And yes, I plan to do the install myself.

Strandskov likes this.
  5. Oct 23, 2019 at 11:04 AM
    RusPro17

RusPro17 Back home again!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Pa.
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Pro Solar Octane
    SCS wheels and Westcott lift
    Give it time and they will get something out. Thanks for to info!!

Strandskov likes this.
  6. Apr 8, 2020 at 6:40 PM
    steelerfan

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 T4R TRD Pro (black)
    Well, called Toytec today and got the same answer as 5+ months ago, still nothing available and still in research and development. I doubt this will ever happen as probably not a big market for a spring upgrade for the 2019 & 2020 Pro Fox suspension (yet).

If I'm not mistaken aren't the springs in the 2019 TRD Pro Fox 2.0 suspension outsourced from Eibach.

7. Apr 8, 2020 at 6:42 PM
    Jynarik

Jynarik I like boobies

Member:
    Austin Texas
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd pro voodoo
    Eibach is coming out with a spring kit here soon. Not sure what ride differences there will be but they will provide some lift. The stock Fox is great - rides like a dream, but yes a bit soft. 5100’s would be a downgrade.

Sundy likes this.
  8. Apr 8, 2020 at 7:11 PM
    Sundy

Sundy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Monument, CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner TRD ORP
    I also thought Eibach was developing springs for the TRD Pro shocks - on the T4R forum Ryan from Eibach stated they should be ready soon (if the Rona didn't mess them up, late April)

2A4R likes this.
  9. Apr 9, 2020 at 6:17 AM
    steelerfan

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 T4R TRD Pro (black)
    Thanks for the information guys!!

I did follow the link that Sundy provided and here is the post from Ryan on pricing and time frame

Pricing:

Fronts and rears - $342
    Front only - $180
    Rears only - $180

Available in 6-7 weeks.

Sundy likes this.
  10. Apr 9, 2020 at 6:28 AM
    Sundy

Sundy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Monument, CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner TRD ORP
    Ryan from Eibach posted that early March, FYI which hopefully means for you guys only another 2-3 weeks

11. Apr 9, 2020 at 4:35 PM
    ForRun

ForRun 4Runner

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 orp
    Hard to say, Covid got manufaturing shut down. Maybe if Eibach could say they are military springs they would be out by now:rofl:

Products Discussed in

To Top