1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

HELP WITH A SOUND ON A NEW 4RUNNER

Discussion in 'General 4Runner Talk' started by KENTUCKYRUNNER, Jan 2, 2022.

1. Jan 2, 2022 at 12:23 AM
    KENTUCKYRUNNER

KENTUCKYRUNNER [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 sport to a2016 SR5 PREMIUM TO A 22 LIMITED
    My mom has a new trd sport with a 1000 miles on it. Its has a faint rotating rubbing sound. she heard it on the test drive but thought it was just her since the dealer didnt hear it. but now that ive heard it she took it back to dealer and they said nothing was wrong. i just bought a new limited and its not on mine. you hear it best between 20 to 30 miles an hour and its a faint rotating hum is the best as i can describe it. we thought it might be a flat spot but they said no. I feel bad for her because shes bummed and doesnt know what to do. Any help would be appreciated. The sound does sound like its coming from front driver side.

2. Jan 2, 2022 at 12:28 AM
    PVT Pablo

PVT Pablo

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Kitsap County, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner TRD Pro
    Does shifting into 4wd change the sound?

Toy4X4, Thatbassguy and Mtbpsych like this.
  3. Jan 2, 2022 at 12:29 AM
    KENTUCKYRUNNER

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Im sure she hasnt tried that. what does it mean either way. thanks for responding

4. Jan 2, 2022 at 12:37 AM
    PVT Pablo

PVT Pablo

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Kitsap County, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner TRD Pro
    There is an extremely common Tacoma/4Runner/FJ issue regarding the needle bearing in the differential.

Issues range from a slight groaning or humming noise to full on grinding and vehicle vibration.

Typically, shifting into four wheel drive will stop the noise as there is a higher load on that part which stops the noise and/or vibration.

My Tacoma had it moderately, never bothered to get it fixed. My 4Runner however has never had it even though it is lifted which supposedly exacerbates the issue.

Toy4X4, Thatbassguy and Mtbpsych like this.
  5. Jan 2, 2022 at 12:48 AM
    KENTUCKYRUNNER

Member:
    Vehicle:
    ok thanks, ill have her try that to see if it works

6. Jan 2, 2022 at 1:59 AM
    Will

Will New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 4 Runner TRD Sport
    My brand new Trd sport has the same noise.

7. Jan 2, 2022 at 11:34 AM
    KENTUCKYRUNNER

Member:
    Vehicle:
    If you figure out what it is please let me know if you can

8. Jan 2, 2022 at 12:26 PM
    Mtbpsych

Mtbpsych New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    Sounds like a needle bearing issue. As stated already, easy way to check is engaging 4x4.

Spydr5, Toy4X4 and Thatbassguy like this.
  9. Jan 2, 2022 at 4:27 PM
    Will

Will New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 4 Runner TRD Sport
    Dropped off the 4 runner tonight at the dealer with an explanation of the symptoms. Was snowing and raining near my house so picked a straight away to flip it into 4wd at 40mph while noise present. Noise instantly disappeared. Flipped back to 2wd and noise reappeared. Hope they can HEAR IT and do something about a 10 year old known issue on a vehicle that I paid 40K plus for. We will see I guess.

Toy4X4, 2Toys and Thatbassguy like this.
  10. Jan 2, 2022 at 10:30 PM
    KENTUCKYRUNNER

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I agree, let me know if you can, my mom is calling dealer tomorrow, well see what he says

11. Jan 3, 2022 at 2:24 PM
    Will

Will New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 4 Runner TRD Sport
    Dealer called. First response “we test drove it twice and really don’t hear anything”

Asked to keep it another day.

letting them keep it another day.

12. Jan 3, 2022 at 2:49 PM
    OverRunner

OverRunner rebmeM weN

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Denton, TX
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 ORP w/KDSS
    I doubt the dealer will do anything about it but take your diagnostic fee. I’ve read on here that a lot of people with 21-22 are having the problem and getting no help from the dealer. Apparently the TSB isn’t out for the last few years yet. I count myself lucky that I haven’t experienced the issue yet, but I have been eyeing the ECGS bushing for when/if I do.

Toy4X4 likes this.
  13. Jan 3, 2022 at 3:05 PM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    If you run into the same issue as @Will , you might need to contact Toyota directly. If there's no TSB yet, the dealers might just play dumb until they know that Toyota is going to pay them to fix it.

Maybe try another dealer as some dealers have been better than others about taking care of them.

This is such a lame issue. If @OverRunner is correct, I see this being a headache for anyone who has the issue on newer models.

Make sure you guys keep records of every interaction with a service department, and how long they have your 4Runner.

14. Jan 3, 2022 at 3:12 PM
    fajitas21

fajitas21 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 ORP
    Custom scratches
    Lesson 1: Dealers don't ever hear anything.
    Amendment to Lesson 1: I really wish I was just being sarcastic...

15. Jan 3, 2022 at 3:51 PM
    KENTUCKYRUNNER

Member:
    Vehicle:
    i hear ya, she was going from a 19 sr5 to the trd sport so she thought it was the low profile tires. now she knows it wasnt

16. Jan 4, 2022 at 8:23 AM
    Will

Will New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 4 Runner TRD Sport

So I went in to speak with Toyota about the noise. I ended up doing a ride along with the tech where I was driving. The thing I noticed was it took my vehicle about 5 miles to warm up enough that it would start to make the noise, before that it was not noticeable at all. Once the noise began though we went through all the steps of four-wheel-drive and 2 wheel drive as well as coasting to a stop and the noise was there and he definitely heard it. He says he’s leaning towards the differential but they will be in touch later.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2022
  17. Jan 4, 2022 at 4:38 PM
    wdsteven

wdsteven New Member

Member:
    I had that noise on my 2020 Trd Pro so I had what is called "Clam Shell Bushing" installed to get rid of the needle bearing it has been perfect ever since, what it is the Needle bearings do not handle an uneven load very well so the install of a solid bushing eliminates that issue and if the Rig is lifted I would just do it anyways.

M144068124.jpg

universalfrost, Spydr5 and Toy4X4 like this.
  18. Jan 4, 2022 at 5:10 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Dobinson IMS Warn Bumper CaliRaised Sliders 285/70 K02s
    Dear Toyota:
    I know that forums have a tendency to magnify the apparent frequency of problems, but this is getting ridiculous! Cmon toyota! The needle bearing problem is not, and never has been a damn mystery! Freaking fix this in production! Your calculations of the cost to fix the ones that get brought in to the dealers vs whatever it costs to (oh gee, I dont know) just pick the right size and type of bearing, will not work out in your favor in the end. There is a big booger on your face, and pretending it’s not there wont make other people stop seeing it.
    Signed,
    A 4runner fanatic

Ok I feel better now. Think toyota heard me?

In any case, Im not gonna panic. That ECGS bearing replacement. One of these days Ill be posting how easy it was to swap one in.

19. Jan 4, 2022 at 6:02 PM
    wdsteven

wdsteven New Member

Member:
    With the Right Tools ( Needle bearing Puller and bushing Seating tool) it is not hard If I had a lift I would have done it myself but someone I know has a lift and I watched it get done 45 minutes from start to finish ,drain oil and refill also.

20. Jan 4, 2022 at 6:20 PM
    Will

Will New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 4 Runner TRD Sport
    Lol. With all do respect, “don’t panic and replace with an aftermarket part” on a $45,000 vehicle with less than 1,000 miles on it as a viable solution to such a problem is BS. This is insane. Where is my “Toyota Quality” I was promised exactly?

dougfresh, Spydr5, Toy4X4 and 2 others like this.
  21. Jan 4, 2022 at 6:53 PM
    fajitas21

fajitas21 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 ORP
    Custom scratches
    Accountants.

I get your frustration, but a needle bearing replacement is on the dealer, so no cost to you. The bushing is a lifetime fix.

Meanwhile the Fords and Chevy's I owned went in for about 30 things in the time I owned just one of my 4runners, and all I installed was the EGCS bushing and changed the oil/filter.

Sure you can claim it's a bad design, because it is. But I'll take the handful of 4Runner issues over the fleet of domestic issues.

2Toys, Spydr5, Singleminded and 4 others like this.
  22. Jan 4, 2022 at 7:13 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    I agree. It's not really cool when an aftermarket part is the only permanent solution to a known design flaw.

The dealer should replace your entire differential. I have no idea why some of them have an issue and some do not.

Mine had an issue when it was brand new just like yours. I waited a year to get it fixed. That was when mine had twenty-nine thousand miles on it in March of 2020. After the differential was replaced, I lifted it and have put 40,000 miles on it and the bearing is fine.

Hopefully once Toyota takes care of you, you will have years of trouble free use of your 4Runner.

Singleminded, 7385 and Toy4X4 like this.
  23. Jan 4, 2022 at 7:27 PM
    KENTUCKYRUNNER

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I agree, you shouldnt have to repalce shit. Its brand new. That was a stupid suggestion

Toy4X4 and Thatbassguy like this.
  24. Jan 4, 2022 at 7:31 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    Hopefully the TSB will get extended to the newer models soon so the dealers can take care of you guys.

I say take the free differential if you can get it.

The ECGS bearing has been the ultimate solution for some. Hopefully the Toyota repair works for you. But, if not, this is another option.

25. Jan 4, 2022 at 11:21 PM
    wdsteven

wdsteven New Member

Member:
    True however I was the one who "lifted" my 2020 Toyota 4Runner So therefore I own the decision to make the changes that I did with only 970 miles on odometer at the time, and will do it again.

Toyota installs the Needle bearing because it is actually fine :crapstorm: in most applications for the average driver and will last even if it is a tad noisy along with being the lower cost of the selection.

BUT then here is the issue! I don't know any average 4Runner Drivers, They are all a bunch of (for the most) crazy "This is MY Rig people" I want want it want it perfect and Yes that does include me :crazy: and so after years of owning and working on Toyota's I find that with certain things if I want it better then make it so.

26. Jan 4, 2022 at 11:45 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    100 percent agree. It will take toyota getting massively shamed to fix this permanently in the production phase. It’s too late if it’s post purchase and the customer has to deal with it. But, they’ve already seemed to make a calculation to not worry about it. Especially if the 4runner is slated to go the way of the dodo anytime soon.

My problem is that I’ve pretty much committed to this vehicle. It’s mine, not toyotas anymore. I admit that is not wise consumer behavior on my part and it doesnt do anybody any favors. I just dont have the time to be going to dealers and engage in the whole song and dance right now. And when I do have time, the damn bearing is as silent as a ghost (mine is intermittently noticeable, but probably not noticeable to the typical car consumer). On top of that, I already lifted it. CV angles are good after the lift, but I expect the dealer will shut me out once they see the suspension. Regardless, as a service to other owners, I should subject myself to their rejection, and follow that up with a UN style strongly worded letter lodging my complaint to toyota.

I signed myself 4runner fanatic because I already drank the koolaid with this vehicle. It’s more than I wanted or expected in terms of function, comfort, utility, ultimate reliability (I hope) and fun. No other vehicle can touch this combo, especially for 39k brand new.

Jeeps are cool but not as useful or comfortable, and 4runners could do 95 percent of what they do off road similarly set up.

Broncos are a kickass technological tour de force, but nobody has good reason to think much of that stuff on it will work for any length of time. The thing is a leaser. I mean the thing is struggling mightily just to keep water on the outside.

That leaves the 4runner. Simple, tried and true, and capable. It makes a stupid ass noise that should not be there. But thankfully, you dont hear of that problem affecting function or your ability to
    go when you wanna go.

This is the first car ever Ive truly put unnecessary money into (I hung up my motorcycle helmet, so those funds are going to this as a hobby). Almost 2grand in suspension, a grand on tires, then bumpers, a winch…300 bucks for just molle panels to hang shit up. Two years ago I would have called me insane for spending that kind of cash on a new car, after buying it! I bonded to this vehicle. I intend to keep it until Im that old guy the next generation of hipsters point at and ask if Id sell them this relic. So that is why I can stomach spending a few extra hundred on permanently solving a problem toyota doesnt seem able or willing to solve. The pre-midlife crisis me would have scolded me, for sure.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2022
  27. Jan 5, 2022 at 12:00 AM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    BINGO!!! We should be viewed with pity and be subjects of cautionary tales mothers tell to their children. Lol

28. Jan 5, 2022 at 2:47 AM
    Toy4X4

Toy4X4 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2020 Offroad Prem. 4-runner
    RevTek 3" front- 2" rear leveling, JBA uca's, LED interior lights, Cooper 275-70-17 AT3 LT
    The first part of fixing a problem is admitting there is a problem. For the most part it's hard to get the service depts. to admit to a problem. I have the needle bearing issue and have told 2 service depts to check for excessive 'slop' where the axle comes out of the diff., both said "it seems ok", why then can I crawl under and push on axle to expose excessive 'slop'? I see how this is going to play out and decided to fix it myself. I received the ECGS bushing, seal and appropriate puller and seal and bushing drivers 1-4-22 after ordering on 12-30-21, now when time permits, I'll tear into it and install it. $172.00 for the bushing and seal and drivers and puller, plus shipping, a SMALL price to pay for not being aggravated and dealing with service depts that can't replicate a sound or certain condition. You may find the service dept. you deal with more than cooperative... if so great.

Curt56, McSpazatron and Thatbassguy like this.
  29. Jan 5, 2022 at 3:38 AM
    Elvis4R

Elvis4R New Member

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nautical Blue 4Runner SR5 Premium.
    Garmin traffic camera, Goodyear Dura Trac stock size.
    On my new '22 SR5P, with 140 miles on her, the dealer thought it might be the driveshaft!!! I had to call Toyota twice to have them call my sucky dealer to have them change the front diff. (needle bearing). It took 11 days to get them to fix it! And to boot, I get it back with a ding/dent in the drivers door. Needless to say I will never step foot in that Worcester, Mass dealership again! (They did fix the dent).

Singleminded, Curt56, Toy4X4 and 2 others like this.
  30. Jan 5, 2022 at 1:56 PM
    Will

Will New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 4 Runner TRD Sport
    Just picked the 4 Runner up. The noise is gone it seems.

Couple things.

They did replace the front differential.

the service writer also said there was a brand new Tacoma in for same noise and I of course asked “WTH?”

he said “about two years ago they moved the production of the differentials from the US to China. Ever since they’ve been replacing many more than usual and he wouldn’t be surprised if a recall might be coming”

I don’t know if there is any truth in that but that’s what he said.

2Toys and Thatbassguy like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top