1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help: Wheels/Tires and Lift Recommendations

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by mhuserATX, Mar 10, 2021.

1. Mar 10, 2021 at 9:00 AM
    mhuserATX

mhuserATX [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2021 shopping
    I am about to pull the trigger on a 2021 SR5 Premium that comes with the TRD Pro wheels. Ideally, I want to lift it and still keep the TRD wheels (I prefer to keep the TRD Pro wheels).

Options I am considering that I'd love some inpout on:

1. 3" lift with the TRD Pro wheels and stock 265 Terra Grappler tires
    2. 3" lift with TRD Pro wheels with 285 Ridge Grapplers
    3. Find the vehicle without the TRD Pro wheel and replace stock wheels with wider wheel and 285s
    4. Something I'm not coinsidering

Appreciate any thoughts...

2. Mar 10, 2021 at 9:19 AM
    SlvrSlug

SlvrSlug Slightly bent.

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Ramona Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2017 4-Runner SR-5 P. Kings, Built Right uca’s, Durabumps, RSG sliders
    Welcome to the forum Matt.

mhuserATX[OP] likes this.
  3. Mar 10, 2021 at 11:13 AM
    travelinscout

travelinscout New Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD ORP MGM
    Welcome to the forum. I highly recommend the Toyo AT3 tires. They are great on and off-road.

4. Mar 10, 2021 at 11:27 AM
    fls0122

fls0122 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fiona
    Vehicle:
    Simpson
    I'm in a similar boat - I'm taking delivery of a 2021 ORP in a couple weeks and they are offering to upgrade my wheels to the TRD Pro matte blacks, and Nitto All Terrains, for about $2000. Is it worth doing with the dealership to get the OEM wheels, or wait and expand my options to the swath of aftermarket options?

5. Mar 10, 2021 at 11:42 AM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    I hope you take plenty time researching what is best for you. These are few points i've learned when I was lifting mine;

- TRD Pro wheels (7.0 width) are not recommend to use wider tires like 285/70R17. I use stock TRD Offroad wheels (7.5 width) with 285/70R17 tires.

- I have no experience with Terra Grappler / Ridge Grapplers but I use BFG KO2 and Falken Wildpeak AT3W and both those have 3 peak snow rate rating which it great for winter driving.

- I have experience with Bilstien 5100 and OME Nitro lift and they don't have a soft ride to my taste. But those who like firm ride would love them.

- When I contacted my 4x4 shop for the most comfortable ride shocks they recommend ELKA 2.5 dual adjuster shocks. Same with Fox 2.5 dual adjuster shocks.
    You can get same comfort with Kings if softer spring. But they recommend dual adjuster ELKA over Kings. (I have no technical knowledge, just sharing what the 4x4 shop told me.)

- (no personal experience but what I've heard from the forums) people seems to like Redflo lift as well. I also saw really good reviews on the brand new Bilstien 8100s. I'm also considering OME BP-51 for my Limited next for the price for a complete package.

- I also considered Icon but too many failures seen on my search.

Below is a list I put together for a friend of mine, sharing if that helps in anyway to give some info. Prices might have changed with time and definitely will be different from shop to shop.

[​IMG]

6. Mar 10, 2021 at 11:43 AM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    And this is my SR5 with Readylift spacer lift (3in front and 2in rear) with stock wheels and BFG KO2 265/70R17. Probably the cheapest out there. I got to know about this because my Toyota dealership was offering this for 4Runner, Tacoma & Tundra. But just across the street a 4x4 shop was installing it with much cheaper price. KM1_2591.jpg

Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
  7. Mar 30, 2021 at 7:56 AM
    mhuserATX

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2021 shopping
    Awesome. I am about to do the same with teh 3-2 spacers and will add shocks (probably the Bilsteins) when they become avaialbe.
    Great rig!

8. Mar 30, 2021 at 7:56 AM
    mhuserATX

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2021 shopping
    This is amazing. thanks for sharing.

9. Mar 30, 2021 at 8:59 AM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    If you can go with Bilsteins you don't have to use a spacerlift like ReadyLift. Readylift are to be used with stock suspension.

If you can go with a suspension lift go with that instead of spacer lift. While the SR5 had the Readylift spacer lift my TRD ORP has suspension lift from ELKA brand. TRD OPR is our touring vehicle and we need best comfort and capability;

https://youtu.be/WCyzwYRZqwc

nightflyer likes this.
  10. Mar 30, 2021 at 11:00 AM
    Tuco S.

Tuco S. New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Off Road w/KDSS in silver
    I would assume the price the dealer quoted you includes them keeping your Off Road ("Trail") wheels. The TRD Pro rims aren't that expensive, and those Nittos are likely going to be a P-metric SL load. You may want to do a bit of reading to decide if a P-metric SL load is adequate for your needs, or if you want to move up to a LT-metric (C or E load) tire for better off road performance and puncture resistance. LT tires are a bit more expensive.

The "Trail" wheels are going to be just as good if not better than the Pro wheels for off road use, plus they are inexpensive and very easy to replace. A lots of owners sell their brand new takeoffs on the forums or craigslist for about $100 each (without the tpms sensor). I bought one off craigslist which is now my spare. I got 5 new Toyo Open Country A/T III E loads for $1100 installed. Total cost came to $1250 with the additional Trail wheel and new tpms sensor. To me that's a much better deal than what the dealer is quoting you, but then again I like the way the Trail wheels look. Some guys want a different look.

11. Mar 30, 2021 at 3:22 PM
    dustinb14

dustinb14 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Magnetic Gray TRD Offroad Premium
    Readylift 3”/2” lift. Rides just like stock, which is soft, which is what I like. It’s not going to give you more offroad capability over stock other than increased approach and exit angles. It did exactly what I wanted and I’m very pleased.
    17x8.5 Method wheels +0 offset and 285/70r17 Ridge Grappler. Probably the best combination of aggressive look and good ride that there is and offering a p metric 285 is a bonus for what I’m using it for. Nitto’s balance out excellent, and with the 24 lb wheel it’s a very light setup. Very minor trimming on front inner bumper to get full clearance. On the stock wheel you can clear the 285 no problem.

7A8EF01A-3223-48EA-82D3-118C02AD31CD.jpg

koukimonster likes this.
  12. Mar 31, 2021 at 6:50 AM
    koukimonster

koukimonster DYNO4

Member:
    Appalachia
    Vehicle:
    Midnight Venture
    Bigger A/T LT Tires, Slight Lift, Sliders, Rack, Lights, etc.
    $2000 is what it would cost you to go buy those wheels and tires.. so no I don't think that's a good deal. $1500 is fair, considering they keep your take-offs.

Products Discussed in

To Top