1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help needed with speakers and amp

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Sagi28, Dec 1, 2021.

1. Dec 1, 2021 at 8:28 PM
    Sagi28

Sagi28 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hello

I have a 2016 4Runner limited and I recently added a new head unit Pioneer DMH-WT7600NEX. I have stock JBL speakers all around which includes sub.

What I noticed is that the volume doesn’t seem as loud as it used to be on the stock headunit as the quality seemed better with bass etc.

I have to turn the volume to about 30 to really hear it decent and if I go up to 34 ish the volume quality decreases and once my factory amp shut off likely due to overload. Restarting the car did the trick.

Now I know the front is a 6x9 component speaker, any recommendations on the best one to get with solid bass like the jbl head unit used to do? Don’t mind spending $500 or so as the sound quality is important to me. I would change all speakers if I go that route .

In terms of amps, does everyone mount it under the seat? Any issues having it there or can people see if sitting down there while in the back? Planning on going with a 5 channel if new speakers require it and I’ve looked at those mini amps that are half the size thinking it might help hiding it under the seat.

Let me know your thoughts as I’ve read a lot of forums and some folks had bad experiences or they settled because they already bought speakers.

Thinking Infiniti Kappa, alpine type R or JBL GTO etc.

Thanks in advance!

2. Dec 1, 2021 at 11:47 PM
    whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner TRD Offroad Premium
    Before spending money, did you get the proper interface for the JBL system? If so did the instructions mention having the OEM radio playing at half volume before you turned the power off and began the swap? This is how it was with my JBL equipped Tacoma.

3. Dec 2, 2021 at 4:44 AM
    Sagi28

Sagi28 [OP] New Member

Member:
    I got all the maestro etc products that were required as per the forum and crutchfield. In terms of keeping the volume at half before turning the power off, I’m not sure if the shop did that and I highly doubt it given I had the volume on low/off before dropping it off.

Any work around for this? Damn I wish I read about this potential requirement before!

4. Dec 2, 2021 at 9:29 AM
    whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner TRD Offroad Premium
    The only fix I knew for the interface was to reinstall the OEM radio. However this was with a more basic interface. There is a gain adjustment in the Maestro settings menu. You would have to go into the menu to find it if they installer hooked it up properly.

System settings>OEM settings>Maestro Settings

Maestro.jpg

5. Dec 2, 2021 at 1:22 PM
    Sagi28

Sagi28 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Will definitely try it! Thanks

just out of curiosity does anyone know the speaker specs on the jbl speakers on a limited?

wondering how much of an improvement there will be if I go with Kappa, JBL GTO , JL audio or even alpine type s/r.

Products Discussed in

To Top