1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help me figure out a lift?

Discussion in '5th Gen Builds (2010-2024)' started by kaitlyn2004, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Oct 15, 2020 at 8:24 PM
    kaitlyn2004

kaitlyn2004 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Some preliminary details:
    • I've got a Canadian 2020 4Runner TRD Off-road w/ KDSS
    • I am NOT interested in "looks" or anything like that.
    • It is my only car, my "daily driver"
    • I'd want improved on-road AND off-road handling
    • "off-road" for me is everything from gravel roads to more rocky and rutted forestry roads, almost exclusively used to access hiking trailheads. No "rock crawling" or otherwise overlanding in an attempt to challange/have fun doing that specifically.
    • Primary goal is better handling as stated above, and improved ground clearance/angles.
    • Planning to almost certainly put 275/70/17 falken wildpeak AT3w on
    • I will NOT be doing the install myself
    Now I guess I could ask for recommendations, but I'll probably get all the answers anyway. I guess moreso... HOW do I actually pick what I want/need? Between springs, coils, remote resevoir or not, dealing with KDSS, replacing or not replacing the UCAs, a "kit" vs mix+matching... and who knows what else, it's more than a little confusing (despite the amount I've tried to research) for someone who has done and knows basically nothing about all this!

I talked to two local shops. One recommend (or rather that mostly install) OME and Dobinsons. Didn't get to the point of talking about specific options, yet. The other recommended Dobinsons, specifically the IMS kit.

In my initial research, I seemed to come across the Bilstein kit a LOT. Then heard names like Kings, Icon, Fox, but didn't really look into these too much.

So... yeah, how on earth do I go about actually select a kit that's a good fit for me, without worrying all day if it's just a cheap kit that either is worse than stock or won't offer much, or is so far beyond what I need that it's a waste.

Products Discussed in

To Top