1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help for completing/doing my cargo shelf?

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by kaitlyn2004, Jul 19, 2020.

1. Jul 19, 2020 at 7:29 PM
    kaitlyn2004

kaitlyn2004 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Attached pics for reference: https://imgur.com/a/xNcFy4v
    I've got 2x 48"x"12" rubbermaid shelves, when I halved a 96" one. I kinda wish I could have gotten a few more itches width, but oh well.

I have a few things I need to figure out:
    - How to reinforce the shelving - I think the weight capacity is fine, but "doubling the width" I have no integrity in the middle. I was thinking of SOMETHING like a couple of these mounted (even with just zip ties) diagonally which I'd suspect would provide all the structural integrity needed? https://www.homedepot.ca/product/pa...threaded-steel-rod-zinc-plated-unc/1000149703
    - How to hold the shelving - I was thinking of a shorter 2x2 (or what size?) up on the wheel well shelf, along with the a longer one at the back. I'd probably need something like this attached to wood and holding up the shelf, but would it hold it well enough? Something else that would be better attached? https://images.homedepot-static.com.../svn/everbilt-corner-braces-15267-64_1000.jpg I'm quite sure I can't get a post on BOTH sides to sit right beside the shelf due to width+trim, but not sure how far apart it would stand.
    - How to secure it - I was going to use the cargo tie downs near the hatch + those turn buckles mounted to the rear shelf post, but not sure how to secure the forward one. Was also thinking something that could push into the cargo cover, just like the cover's post but not even sure how to go about that.

The idea is to have the shelf height at roughly the height of the cargo cover.

Also, this is a temporary + non-permanent solution, something I think I'll improve on later and only be putting in the car for weekend trips and whatnot.
    Any advice/guidance to help me complete the build? :)

2. Jul 23, 2020 at 7:35 AM
    MeefZah

MeefZah ---

Member:
    Lexington, Ohio
    Seems pretty roody-cadoody to me.

What are you planning on storing back there on these weekend trips? Could you just put stuff... on top of stuff? Often people get too caught up in how to be Johnny Overland and think they need sweet cabinets and multiple levels of storage... when they actually don't.

3. Jul 23, 2020 at 12:22 PM
    08TXRunner

08TXRunner New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '20 SR5P
    That flimsy wire shelving is made in a heavy duty version. Bigger diameter wire and more cross supports in the middle. Lowes carries it in the garage section.

4. Jul 23, 2020 at 4:47 PM
    Oldtoyotaguy

Oldtoyotaguy Paid cash for it

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Toyota 4 Runner Offroad
    Take a look at what Victory, and other after market manufacturers design into their products and duplicate it the best you can. A good strong, lightweight material is 1/8” and 1/4” aluminum checker plate. There are some great projects completed by members on here as well!

Products Discussed in

To Top