1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help... Electrical Issues

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by dwmartin98, Mar 30, 2022.

1. Mar 30, 2022 at 4:56 PM
    dwmartin98

dwmartin98 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Vehicle:
    '22 Lunar Rock ORP
    Hi All,

I'm 390 miles in and enjoying every moment of 4Runner ownership up to this moment.

Quick background - I had my Bilstein 5100 kit (1.75" front stock coils and Cornfed 3/4" spacer on rears) installed by 4WheelParts on Tuesday. No issues, really enjoying the ride quality.

I am also using this dongle for wireless Carplay, seems to be working well I just hope (and can't imagine) this would be causing my problem.

https://www.amazon.com/Carlinkit-Wi...c244b4b334e&pd_rd_wg=88ww2&pd_rd_i=B08P1GWQDB

So I drove my 4Runner to the park, took a 20 minute walk and arrived back at the car. The 4Runner would not recognize the key fob's unlock/lock button nor would the car recognize the keyless entry feature by grabbing the handle.

I unlock it using the metal-key within the fob and start the car. The dashboard lights up with a Collision assist Error. I also notice the digital clock is backlight but there are not numbers visible. Also when I turn the car off the lock/unlock buttons on the door panel do not work but they work when the car is on.

The Key Fob still doesn't work either. I have an appointment at the dealer tomorrow evening but was wondering if anyone has any ideas of what's going on. I would appreciate it!

2. Mar 30, 2022 at 5:00 PM
    Dillusion

Dillusion New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    KYle
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR
    Did you even try to remove the dongle?

3. Mar 30, 2022 at 5:01 PM
    dwmartin98

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Vehicle:
    '22 Lunar Rock ORP
    Yes, no change.

4. Mar 30, 2022 at 5:53 PM
    Sandbuster

Sandbuster Breaking Wind

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central Florida
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Offroad
    Power Commander, LED lights upgrade, Eibach Pro Truck Series suspension upgrade (front & rear), Airbags (rear), dash integrated trailer brake control, Body Armor front bumper, Smittybilt 10K winch
    Did you try the old "disconnect the battery" trick - reboot the system?

BionicRandy and dwmartin98 [OP] like this.
  5. Mar 30, 2022 at 5:53 PM
    dwmartin98

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Vehicle:
    '22 Lunar Rock ORP
    Going to try that here in a bit.

6. Apr 2, 2022 at 1:13 PM
    dwmartin98

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Vehicle:
    '22 Lunar Rock ORP
    The Rig has been in the shop since Thursday and they finally figured the ECU controller is surging power therefor causing a short. The dealer ordered a replacement and hope to have the 4Runner back mid next week. Anyone hear of this before?

7. Apr 2, 2022 at 2:39 PM
    Snickel Fritz

Snickel Fritz Do not develop this member's app

Member:
    I have heard of issues which *relate* to the ECU, but never have I heard of one "surging". They could be spot on with the diagnosis at this dealership, or they could be to the brim with legumes... time will tell. Maybe. If it feels like it.

Anyhow, getting a new ECU swapped in sounds like a super fun and not at all tedious job. I'm not sure that I would choose to go that route as a distraction if I were a tech or manager. Let's hope this fixes your issues, and that no new ones arise as a result of leaving it in the hands of the dealer... we all light a candle when a forum member is in for work, oil changes or inspections at the dealership. :rasta:

Products Discussed in

To Top