1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help deciding between these three tires

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Webfoots, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Dec 23, 2018 at 12:48 PM
    Webfoots

Webfoots [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Sky Silver SR5 4Runner 4x4
    Sorry about yet another tire thread, but I need some help picking between these 3 stock size tires, 265/70 17.
    99% highway with some dirt roads, no real off roading. Live in Mississippi, so snow isn't a concern. Wet road driving is a big concern of mine. I don't care for a lot of noise, so the quiter the better. I only really tow a 4 wheeler, so no need for a LT in my opinion. Here are the 3 I am down to with pricing.

Yokahama Geolander AT G015- 60k mile warranty, 4 installed out the door for $660. Most tame looking tire.
    Toyo Open Country AT2- 65k warranty, 4 installed out the door for $755.
    Cooper AT3 4S- 65k mile warranty, 4 installed out the door for $783.

Thanks for any input!!

2. Dec 23, 2018 at 1:11 PM
    Oey12

Oey12 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey`
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5
    Eibach Pro Sport leveling shocks, Firestone airbags, and Baja Design fog lights...
    Honestly for your usage I would give a hard look at the Michelin LTX Defenders. They would be night and day better in rain and highway miles then either 3 of those tires. I have personally used the Coopers (not a fan at all in rain or light/slushy snow) and the Yohamas (a decent all around tire). As far as the Toyo’s...the closest I have used to those is the Nitto Terra grapplers which is Toyos sister company. I tow about 2000 miles a year anywhere from a 2k to 4K trailers and any of those tires should hold up just fine with a well maintained suspension. The Michelin are expensive and just a boring looking tire but they are hard to beat (except in mud or deep snow). And I especially love them because the provide consistent performance throughout their life (70 to 90k).

WallyT4R and Bob like this.
  3. Dec 23, 2018 at 2:11 PM
    JET4

JET4 New Member

Member:
    Southeast, Va.
    Out of the three I'd get the Cooper AT3 4S. That will my next tire when I'm ready to buy.

4. Dec 24, 2018 at 3:49 AM
    billnourse

billnourse New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Bloomfield, NM
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium
    Toytec Ultimate lift, SSO Slimline bumper and 10,000# winch, emblem blackout, hood scoop wrap.
    I have Toyo's and like them. They are quite, handle well, and after 17,000 miles they seem to be holding up well.

Bill

5. Dec 24, 2018 at 9:33 AM
    Charlievee

Charlievee New Member

Member:
    Not sure where in Ms you are, but I'm a military transplant to the Hattiesburg area and looking for recommendations for a good tire/alignment shop. Any ideas?

6. Dec 24, 2018 at 12:11 PM
    4runningMan

4runningMan New Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    The Coopers are a good tire. Out of the three you mention, that's what I'd go with. But as previously mentioned, the Michelin Defender would be perfect for you if you can spend an additional $200.

They'll probably run 20-30k miles longer than the ones you mentioned. They'd be much quieter and they're AWESOME in wet/slushy conditions. Light off road is fine, too. They're super quiet and an unmatched ride.

But I totally get it if you don't have the funds. They're expensive. But I think you get that back on the far end with the longevity. I've seen them go for 90k miles. And they retain their traction to the end.

My last set looked almost new at 45k miles. I was blown away. I sold them on CL for $350 and sized up.

7. Dec 24, 2018 at 12:29 PM
    Webfoots

Webfoots [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the input folks!
    @Charlievee I am in north west Ms just south of Memphis, Tn. Not familiar with anything down there.

8. Dec 28, 2018 at 4:59 PM
    Webfoots

Webfoots [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the input guys. I decided on the Toyo Open Country AT2. Tirebuyer.com had an amazing price. 4 tires delivered to a local installer was right at $530. Install will be about $75-100. Should arrive in the next day or 2.

TN_FunRunner likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top