1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hello from Tennessee

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by TNBassGirl, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Apr 9, 2021 at 8:40 AM
    TNBassGirl

TNBassGirl [OP] Bluegrass Bass Player/ Dog hauler

Member:
    SouthEast
    Vehicle:
    Stock 2011 Silver 4Runner SR5
    None yet, it hauls my dog and my doghouse bass to rehearsals and gigs.
    Hey everyone,
    Have had my 2011 5th gen for several years now and it's now time to get into some minor maintenance upgrades. I'll be posting in other threads regarding those when I get a game plan and have already done some topic searching.

Bob and SlvrSlug like this.
  2. Apr 9, 2021 at 8:46 AM
    Ironguy

Ironguy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ralph
    Bisbee AZ
    Vehicle:
    2020 Black 4Runner Venture 1967 FJ40 Land Cruiser
    New pine scent hanger, new sun shade
    Welcome from Arizona!

TNBassGirl[OP] likes this.
  3. Apr 9, 2021 at 9:06 AM
    diverdon

diverdon New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    21 t4r sr5 premium
    Welcome from northern NY

TNBassGirl[OP] likes this.
  4. Apr 9, 2021 at 4:39 PM
    Lyninsky

Lyninsky New Member

Member:
    I am from TN too. I am looking into getting a 2011 however someone mentioned to me today that from 2005 to 2011 the frames rust. Now I am rethinking this. Does anyone have any advice. Went and saw a 2011 at a reputable dealership(new car) they made me feel like I couldn't drive it a mechanic to look at. Now I am wondering if there was rust on the frame they didn't want me to see. It happened to be out of my preapproval range anyway. So now I found another that is in my range but since someone put the rust birdie in my head I am doubting buying one. Any thoughts?

5. Apr 9, 2021 at 4:51 PM
    ruiz4251

ruiz4251 "but it was funny huh?"

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    16 Trail Premium
    ICON custom stage 6 3"; 33's; gobi rack; SSO bumper; SSO high clearance; Rigid lights; 10k X2o winch; AFe intake; brola cat back; tint; aftermarket sound; opor sliders; pedal commander, viper smart start mobile tracker, Canvasback Liner; Rago rear window molles; victory 4x4 center console molle; cbi front skid steel; cbi aluminum tran skid; rci fuel aluminum skid; rci dif skid; rago rear shock skids; rci lower link skids; tenton workshop shift knob; yoga shop grenade trans knob;alpha rex headlights; USR blacked out tails; USR turns to turns; blacked out sequential mirror turn
    Well...its official...
    I've been looking for some property in Tennessee
    I'll take it as a sign the last nail sort o'speak
    Anyhoo
    What "maintenance upgrades" we talking here? Full monty suspension lift/gears or more oil/tierod/LCA bushings/shock swap's

6. Apr 9, 2021 at 5:09 PM
    ruiz4251

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    16 Trail Premium
    ICON custom stage 6 3"; 33's; gobi rack; SSO bumper; SSO high clearance; Rigid lights; 10k X2o winch; AFe intake; brola cat back; tint; aftermarket sound; opor sliders; pedal commander, viper smart start mobile tracker, Canvasback Liner; Rago rear window molles; victory 4x4 center console molle; cbi front skid steel; cbi aluminum tran skid; rci fuel aluminum skid; rci dif skid; rago rear shock skids; rci lower link skids; tenton workshop shift knob; yoga shop grenade trans knob;alpha rex headlights; USR blacked out tails; USR turns to turns; blacked out sequential mirror turn
    @Lyninsky
    Good luck
    Definitely something to consider
    Whatever you find pay close attention to wheel well cabin side/ exhaust side frame area/ have them lower the spare tire (that's usually a good spot to look at)
    and floor board area close to fame meets body
    Use bright flash light
    Surface rust = no biggie
    Lightly pitted = iffy
    Rust holes = HELL NO

SlvrSlug likes this.
  7. Apr 9, 2021 at 5:10 PM
    ruiz4251

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    16 Trail Premium
    Oh and whatever you get
    Clean it and get it coated

8. Apr 9, 2021 at 5:19 PM
    Lyninsky

Lyninsky New Member

Member:
    Take this as a new buyer kind of thing. How do you get them(dealership) to show you the undercarriage of the 4runner? The one I looked at before they just kept saying they did a 100 point safety inspection. When I asked about taking it to a mechanic they made it seem like if I drive it out of the lot there are no warranties. And is there a way to get them to let me take it to a mechanic? Like test drive for a day or so. I am new to car buying like this.

9. Apr 9, 2021 at 6:09 PM
    ruiz4251

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    16 Trail Premium
    Lets not do a takeover
    I like most others on here are willing to help with any questions/tips/ tricks
    Start a post we'll help there
    For now- you're the buyer you hold the power lol if they can't/won't work with you then look for another dealer

Excited for MAINTENANCE MODS!!!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
  10. Apr 10, 2021 at 2:58 AM
    Toy4X4

Toy4X4 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2020 Offroad Prem. 4-runner
    RevTek 3" front- 2" rear leveling, JBA uca's, LED interior lights, Cooper 275-70-17 AT3 LT
    Welcome from Wisconsin!

11. Apr 10, 2021 at 7:20 AM
    SlvrSlug

SlvrSlug Slightly bent.

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Ramona Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2017 4-Runner SR-5 P. Kings, Built Right uca’s, Durabumps, RSG sliders
    Welcome.

12. Apr 10, 2021 at 12:06 PM
    brownbear

brownbear Relax

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    OB Fl
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner TRD OFF ROAD
    NFab side steps TRD matte blk wheels K&N airfilter, go rhino rear hitch step,
    Welcome from FL.

13. Apr 10, 2021 at 12:07 PM
    PhantomTweak

PhantomTweak New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    OREGON
    Vehicle:
    1999 4Runner, bone stock
    None. Bone Stock. EXCEPT: Brushguard, tow hitch, both welded to the frame. It's good to have friends and a fully equipped garage!
    Remember, most states a used car is sold "As is-NO WARRANTY". I don't know for sure where you are, but I would bet that's how it works there. They don't HAVE to show you anything about it. They don't HAVE to. Just make sure, and it's entirely up to YOU, that you don't buy a pig-in-a-poke.
    You can LOOK over the truck, but if you want to look at something, or check how it runs, etc, that's on you. To check the underside, you may well have to crawl under there yourself. They might put it up on a lift for you, but no promises. Same for the engine. You can open the hood and look at it, and they may even start it for you. MAYBE even let you test drive it, but they don't have to.

It's definitely buyer beware, so check it over very carefully. If it's an auto, you can see the trans fluid on the dip stick. Same for the oil, the coolant, power steering fluid, stc. Take a look at them all to see if they have any sort of crud in them, or are nice and clean. Look under the oil filler cap for a "chocolate milkshake" appearance. Bad to see. Look elsewhere if you see that. Check under the truck where it's parked for a couple of hours for drips, drops, puddles, etc. Don't let them move it from where it's normally parked.

Other than all that, it's an easy decision :D
    Pat☺

14. Apr 10, 2021 at 12:42 PM
    JSSRVLZ

JSSRVLZ -Red Hot-

Member:
    Knoxville Tn
    Vehicle:
    04 4 runner 4.0 sr5 4wd
    Welcome from Tennessee! Im around Knoxville and Lafollette alot. Are you in East Tennessee??

15. Apr 10, 2021 at 9:39 PM
    mousemeat

mousemeat New Member

Member:
    Memphis, TN.
    Vehicle:
    1997 4 runner limited
    upgraded suspension, large all terrain tires
    hello and greetings from Memphis

16. Apr 10, 2021 at 10:06 PM
    Cowboy59

Cowboy59 Enjoy the Adventure

Member:
    N. Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 Off-Road Premium w/ Predator package & KDSS
    Welcome to a great forum.

17. Apr 11, 2021 at 11:33 AM
    PhantomTweak

PhantomTweak New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    OREGON
    Vehicle:
    1999 4Runner, bone stock
    None. Bone Stock. EXCEPT: Brushguard, tow hitch, both welded to the frame. It's good to have friends and a fully equipped garage!
    Welcome aboard from Oregon!

I got stationed in Millington, right outside Memphis, twice! I loved it there. I tried to get stationed there permanently, but the Marines, in their infinite wisdom, sent me to Yuma, Az. Twice!
    I HATE Yuma, too. Grrrr...

Pat☺

Products Discussed in

To Top