1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Have done almost everything except the tensioner

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by Kimsudan, Jul 2, 2021.

1. Jul 2, 2021 at 3:24 PM
    Kimsudan

Kimsudan [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hi all. I have a 2005 SR5. 4WD V6 that has been making a strange noise.
    I replaced everything in the serpentine drive following all of the good posts. Even checked for side to side play on pulleys and made sure everything rolled smoothly. Put a new belt on and still get “the sound” in Drive and Reverse when I am at a stop. Doesn’t happen when in Park or Neutral. Hate to think it is the tensioner assembly but I will bite the bullet to install it if I have to do it. I heard it is a bear. I have a new one sitting in the spare room. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, my 4Runner has no dipstick so I can’t check transmission fluid.
    I have posted a link to the sound in my Google Drive.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1X6eyXLfifjs9h7zuxCYk9Subpzpo4Qxz/view

Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
  2. Jul 3, 2021 at 8:40 AM
    Toy Yoda

Toy Yoda New Member

Member:
    I dont think its a serp pulley issue if it only happens in drive or reverse, a bad pulley will usually make noise at idle & in gear but will change the sound based on rpms. If you cant figure it out I would suggest taking to a mechanic to diagnose the noise... don't just throw parts at it that may not be the cause of the sound until you know for sure.

You can still check the trans fluid level by following the sealed trans level check procedure stated in the service manual or lots of videos on youtube & write ups on here or other 4 runner forums. Basically you you get the trans to a specific temp range them pull the check plug on the trans pan to verify the proper amount of fluid flows out.

Best of luck figuring it out

3. Jul 4, 2021 at 5:51 AM
    Kimsudan

Kimsudan [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thank you so much for your reply. I did a million versions of the “listen for it” trick. You are correct. None of the pulleys are making the noise. Whew! Will be taking it to the local exhaust shop to have them check the heat shields and skid plates tomorrow. Seems these have an undercarriage rust issue and little clearance between components of exhaust and crossmembers. I am also going to have the motor mounts checked. Engine probably tilts in “D” or “R” and causes something to make this noise because it is making contact with brake applied. When the brake is released, I suspect the engine sits as it should while cruising without any opposing force. I will update on any developments. Will definitely look up the transmission procedure. Thanks again for your help!

Toy Yoda likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top