1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hatch seal needs replaced

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by MimisBeast, Jul 6, 2022.

1. Jul 6, 2022 at 1:19 PM
    MimisBeast

MimisBeast [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michele
    Near Boise Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2020 Red 4Runner
    3" lift, Go Rhino black running boards, Falken Wildpeak tires on Mamba rims.
    Hey all, I'm new here and hoping for good info. I bought my 4Runner in Sep 2021 and the hatch seal was already loose right next to the latch. It's gotten worse and I'd like to replace it. I'm pretty handy and feel this is within my skill level to do. I called the dealer and the part, to me, is ridiculously priced. Looking for other places to buy the part. I found one that looks promising but I'd like more options, if possible. Thanks for your input!

20220706_141427.jpg

2. Jul 6, 2022 at 1:33 PM
    Stoney Ranger

Stoney Ranger New Member

Member:
    Driftless Area
    Vehicle:
    '18 SR5 Nauti Blue
    4x Rockers/Skids-Dobi-275's-Fr/R Bpr-Winch-Stickers-ALF
    Found this on Wally- Worlds website.[​IMG]

BionicRandy and MimisBeast[OP] like this.
  3. Jul 6, 2022 at 1:42 PM
    MimisBeast

Member:
    First Name:
    Michele
    Near Boise Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2020 Red 4Runner
    Thanks. I'll need that, too.

4. Jul 6, 2022 at 10:14 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Dobinson IMS Warn Bumper CaliRaised Sliders 285/70 K02s
    Welcome to the forum! I also have a 21 and notice that weatherstripping came off, but to be honest, it’s because I tugged at it out of curiousity lol. The adhesive they use doesnt seem to be the type that dries hard.

The adhesive suggestion might have been intended as your solution. If the weatherstripping is otherwise intact, put a dab of it on the metal, spread it out thinly, and slide the weatherstripping back on. That might be enough, because even though mine can be pulled off, it pretty much stays in when I push it back in.

If it comes off regularly, do you load/unload anything that might be catching it?

5. Jul 7, 2022 at 5:39 AM
    MimisBeast

Member:
    First Name:
    Michele
    Near Boise Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2020 Red 4Runner
    It was already coming off when I bought it but I was able to mostly push it back into place. Even just raising the lift gate will dislodge it. At this point it seems to be stretched enough that it'd be too long to fit but the other issue is that pressure and heat have basically caused small sections to fuse together and I can't get it apart to even try to put back into place. I don't load or unload often enough with items that would catch it for that to be an issue. And I try to be careful when I am hauling things that might be an issue. I agree that the adhesive they use isn't very strong. Based on another suggestion I did call the dealership and I have an appt next wk to see if they'll cover it under warranty. He said they have to look to see if any damage was done but I don't really know what that means. Fingers crossed! Thanks for your input.

6. Jul 7, 2022 at 9:01 AM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Dobinson IMS Warn Bumper CaliRaised Sliders 285/70 K02s
    I cant think of any reason it would not be covered by warranty. If they tell you that you caused it somehow, call BS on that. Unless you pulled it out like me :p, it shouldnt fall off like that anyways. The fact that opening the hatch can dislodge it, points to a something not quite right.

7. Jul 7, 2022 at 2:09 PM
    beedee

beedee Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 4R SR5 4x4 Nautical Blue Metallic
    Mine does that too, might have to try some of that adhesive that someone posted above. Happens when my kids slide out after hanging out in the cargo area.

MimisBeast[OP] likes this.
  8. Jul 20, 2022 at 11:42 AM
    MimisBeast

Member:
    First Name:
    Michele
    Near Boise Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2020 Red 4Runner
    Thanks for all the input. The issue has been resolved. Dealership replaced it today and it was covered by warranty. Woohoo!

McSpazatron likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top