1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ham Radio Operators

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by 4R21, Sep 22, 2021.

1. Jun 7, 2022 at 8:25 AM
    photo8

photo8 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off-Road
    When you're shopping, take some time to learn a little about radio theory and operating practices. Many new hams just memorize the test answers and are at a loss when it comes to actually using a radio or tuning an antenna.

Granted, there's a lot BS, even at the Technician level, but you should know something about RF exposure limits, wire gauge vs power loss in mobile applications, and basic antenna system theory and radio operation.

First radio purchases can be confusing with all the choices available today. If there's a ham club near you, I'd recommend getting to know some local hams and getting as much first hand information as you can. Local ham radio stores also used to be a good learning resource, but they're few and far between now.

73!

2. Jun 7, 2022 at 8:52 AM
    Henry J

Henry J Crap…crap crap crap crap…crap

Member:
    Sacramento Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Brick Red FJ & 2011 Silver T4R Trail
    Thank you! I grabbed a Baofeng BF-F8HP a bit ago just to listen on the trails. Luckily the site I went to for test prep also gave me some training on how to use this.

I will for sure look for some groups in the area. I know the Overland Bound guys I’m Sac have one or two they talked about.

3. Jun 8, 2022 at 5:32 PM
    MeefZah

MeefZah ------------

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Lexington, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '24 ORP
    If the repeaters near him are anything like the repeaters near me, he won't need to study up on theory or antennas or equipment or really anything. All he's got to do is listen for a week because IT'S ALL THE OTHER NERDS TALK ABOUT!!!! I honestly don't understand how anyone can discuss anything to the extent that HAMs discuss their shit on the air. (This forum excepted, natch)

Yawn!!!! I quit scanning my local repeaters because I would contemplate suicide when ol' "Slow Talk Monotone Insert Random Old Man Chortle Here" would start to drawl on about his ham shack and APERS and borophyl.

I enjoy using the radio but anymore I limit my use to off road forays with friends, and monitoring 146.520 on x-country trips in case someone needs something.

To Top