1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Growling when decelarating

Discussion in '3rd Gen 4Runners (1996-2002)' started by Toysrus, Oct 2, 2021.

1. Oct 2, 2021 at 10:07 PM
    Toysrus

Toysrus [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hey all. Needs some advice badly. I have a 97 4runner 4wd 3rz manual. So I've been hearing a whom whom whom sound at all speeds and when I get to 60-65 I get a growling noise and vibration and then it smooths out around 70 and vibrates pretty hard around 74 and above.
    The growling only happens when I'm taking my foot off the gas and stops when I put momentum back on or when when I shift in Neutral and coast at those speeds. It happens randomly but I can make the growling noise happen if I want to hear it if that makes sense. Drives fine and smooth at lower speeds.
    Took it into les Schwab today to check the bearings and suspension they said everything was fine. It sounds like it's coming from my front end. Balanced and rotated the tires and still there. It's got 265k on it. Anyone else have this issue?
    I did replace rear ujoints about 6 months ago. It's just recently been doing this

2. Oct 2, 2021 at 11:54 PM
    negusm

negusm New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 4Runner SR5 4WD
    I had a fox mustang that started growling in the rear at high speeds and eventually lunched its differential. Kind of hard to diagnose until it goes completely.

It's definitely drive train related.

3. Oct 3, 2021 at 12:51 PM
    Nic_04

Nic_04 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 Limited 4Runner
    I’m experiencing the same issue with my 2002. The vibration varies from high speeds/low speeds. Rides smooth as long as I’m accelerating but as soon as I let off the gas you can hear and feel that little “growl”. Im not sure if this is true, but I’ve read on a few posts here that 3rd gen’s have a drive shaft that contains a rubber gasket. Once that gasket goes it cannot be replaced, you gotta get a new driveshaft. I haven’t replaced mine yet to see if the problem goes away but it might be worth a shot.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2021
    PhantomTweak likes this.
  4. Oct 5, 2021 at 8:28 PM
    Toysrus

Toysrus [OP] New Member

Member:
    I'm hoping it's the drive shaft and not the differential or transmission. It happens even when I coast in Neutral but only at high speed so hoping maybe DS needs balanced and new ujoints. There's a drive shaft shop I'll take it to this week and let you know the results.

5. Jun 10, 2022 at 9:20 AM
    Nic_04

Nic_04 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 Limited 4Runner
    Any luck with the grumble? I recently took my 02 up the mountain for the weekend and the drive has some good incline to get up. When I got to the top my grumble got significantly worse. Louder, more aggressive. I thought something broke for a second. But after getting home and having some work done, (U Joints, Ball Joints, Driveshaft, Transmission Service etc.) the grumble is now gone!

6. Jun 11, 2022 at 6:49 PM
    Trekker

Trekker Regular Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1997 3rz 5spd
    I had a similar problem on my 3rz manual, I'd describe it more as a rattle. The noise would only happen at higher RPM (any gear) when my foot wasn't on the clutch or gas. I started to think it was my engine, after months I had to move the battery and realized the bracket was loose. Tightened it down and it went away

You would think that a loose battery would always rattle, but it had some of the strange characteristics you see.

Products Discussed in

To Top