1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Great Weight Debate - How much do I need?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by 254runner, Nov 19, 2018.

1. Nov 19, 2018 at 9:50 AM
    254runner

254runner [OP] New Member

Member:
    Greetings all!

I've been scoping older threads, both here and in other forums, but haven't found a clear answer yet.

Currently Im rocking bilstein 6112s in the front with 5100s in the rear, accompanied by 2 inch icon springs. The extra weight will be comign from -
    full length prinsu roof rack
    roam batwing awning
    full steel skids
    sliders
    c4 rear swingout
    full hoop steel CBI front bumper
    and at some point a decent sized dometic and RTT during trips(everything else would stay on at all times*)

I know with all of this added weight, I'll probably not only be saggin' but really pushing the limits on my ride's weight with it's current suspension.(275/70/17 tires for what it's worth*).

I really don't see the need to go all out on a new suspension, as this is a mall-crawler 75% of the time(downtown Austin, Tx). I also have to keep my overall height under 6'8(this is what Im at currently). Could I simply swap out the springs and be safe? Little mechanical knowledge(growing as my T4R does for sure), so please keep the spec talk to a "auto-mechanics for dummies" version if possible haha.

PS: Originally, I didn't plan on adding much to my build... not sure what I was thinking, haha.

2. Nov 19, 2018 at 11:29 AM
    mynameistory

mynameistory New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tory
    Vehicle:
    The same 4Runner everyone has
    Height does not equal spring rate. Meaning, you can keep your truck at the same height it is now, but pick a spring rate more suited to your new vehicle weight. You'll need to find and add up the weight of all those accessories you're adding. Then you can make a decision on whether you'll need to upgrade spring rate.

3. Nov 19, 2018 at 11:40 AM
    254runner

Member:
    Thanks Tori!

Once I have my weight figured out, are my springs the only thing that I need to be concerned about?

4. Nov 19, 2018 at 11:52 AM
    mynameistory

mynameistory New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tory
    Vehicle:
    Pretty much. Your shock valving and capacity also play a role. Sometimes shocks can be damped too firmly and result in a rough ride, or the opposite can happen and you'll be too bouncy. But 6112/5100 should be fine for what you're asking it to do. Once you start going fast off road, shocks pay a huge role in performance.

Oldtoyotaguy likes this.
  5. Nov 19, 2018 at 11:59 AM
    254runner

Member:
    Well I did some rough math...
    roof rack = 75 lbs
    rear bumper + swing out = 220 lbs
    spare tire + wheel = 55 lbs + 25 lbs
    loaded jerry can = 11 lbs
    loaded jerry water can = 15 lbs
    sliders = 112 lbs
    shrock skids = 155lbs / CBI is 180 lbs
    front bumper = 200 lbs
    rtt = 200 lbs

so far = 1068

Added a little and rounded up when close, would rather take in account for too much vs too little.
    If it looks like I'm in the 1000-1200 range WITHOUT other camping gear/people accounted for, Im guessing I look for springs with a weight load around that much?

6. Nov 19, 2018 at 4:46 PM
    mynameistory

mynameistory New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tory
    Vehicle:
    Remember that any spring will have a range of usefulness. For example, I wouldn't change my stock springs every time I have 4 passengers with camping gear. Almost all of your stuff would be fine with stock or similar rates, but those bumpers and RTT will be your biggest enemies. Also, you shouldn't count your spare tire, you're already carrying one I hope! Your best bet would be to contact Icon and ask what they recommend for your planned additions.

7. Sep 21, 2020 at 6:30 PM
    willch

willch New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    will
    I’m on my 3rd 4runner and each one I go up a level in suspension quality. In my opinion, it’s the most important investment on our trucks.

Oldtoyotaguy likes this.
  8. Sep 21, 2020 at 6:49 PM
    Oldtoyotaguy

Oldtoyotaguy Paid cash for it

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Toyota 4 Runner Offroad
    Unless you’re rock crawling you can lose some of that weight by choosing aluminum components. For example my Warn Evo vr 10s winch and victory aluminum blitz weighs 102 lbs total.

Products Discussed in

To Top