1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Got diagnosed with Peripheral Neuropathy

Discussion in 'General 4Runner Talk' started by The last breed, Jan 26, 2022.

1. Jan 26, 2022 at 6:09 PM
    The last breed

The last breed [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Muhammad
    Vehicle:
    Dying to get my hands on a 4Runner
    At age of 34. Feeling really depressed. My feet are burning upto knee. Neurologist says she doesn't know whether it will go away or not. She is also not sure if it is neuropethy or not. MRI of my spine is fine, and EMG nerve comduction test is normal too. Low Vitamin B12 in my blood, so they are giving me shots every week.

Give me some hope, dear friends! Feeling really depressed. It happened so quickly. They gave me nerve pain and anxiety medication and refered me to mental health too.

2. Jan 26, 2022 at 6:14 PM
    The last breed

Member:
    First Name:
    Muhammad
    Vehicle:
    She says it is rare for my age unless I am a heavy drinker which I am not. I may have had a dozen beer in total my whole life.

3. Jan 26, 2022 at 6:17 PM
    Dillusion

Dillusion New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    KYle
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR
    Since I'm a google doctor.

Looks like it can be caused by more than just drinking. I'd honestly just ask them what you can try without meds first.

The last breed[OP] likes this.
  4. Jan 26, 2022 at 6:19 PM
    The last breed

Member:
    First Name:
    Muhammad
    Vehicle:
    I cannot imagine not taking medications, I can't go to sleep, all anxiety which makes the pain worse

5. Jan 26, 2022 at 6:45 PM
    Jynarik

Jynarik I like boobies

Member:
    Austin Texas
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd pro voodoo
    Sorry to hear of your health problems. I’m sure it’s a bit scary. Hold your head up and do your own research, too. Don’t be afraid to get second options.

Mtbpsych and The last breed[OP] like this.
  6. Jan 26, 2022 at 6:48 PM
    The last breed

Member:
    First Name:
    Muhammad
    Vehicle:
    I grew up in a war-torn country, problems around me during my childhood, so I have this chronic anxiety. I think I would blame my anxiety for this. My Restless brain is causing these nerves to fire up

7. Jan 26, 2022 at 7:06 PM
    GrantA

GrantA Enjoying God’s creation

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Fully locked 2020 SR5 Premium
    - GOBI roof rack and ladder - Westcott Design Rock sliders - M.O.R.E. Underbody Skid plates - Dual ARB air compressor & ARB single compressor - LED interior lighting - Ironman 2.0 meter awning and enclosure - Ironman winch with factor55 hook - Ironman foam cell pro suspension - Ironman recovery snatch rope - Ironman recovery traction boards - lilbscustomfab Hybrid Front Bumper - lilbscustomfab BMC - RRW RR7-H Hybrid Beadlock wheels - Nitto Trail Grapplers 285/75/17 M/T - 4.88 gears - ARB front air locker - ARB rear air locker - Hi-lift jack & mount - Sony aftermarket speakers - LASFIT External LED Light Conversion - Center console organizer - Glovebox organizer - ICS phone Mount holder - C4 rear bumper with dual swing arms - C4 gas skid plate - C4 rear diff skid plates
    I understand where you are coming from kinda. I have EOE at age 35. Never heard of it in my family. Thank God I found out about it because if I didn’t I could be in really bad shape. I would be out eating and just choke on food. Not because I was eating fast but because my esophagus literally would be inflamed.

If I can be of any encouragement. Pray for peace. Seek it above everything else. Find peace in everything you do, have peaceful thoughts. I can’t imagine growing up in a war-torn country. So much you have seen that I hope many never experience.

Never forget where you have been but don’t set your eyes, thoughts, or anything in that stuff. Look to tomorrow and what you want to accomplish. Strive to live and embrace every moment. God bless you Muhammad I pray you get well and your anxiety lessens.

8. Jan 26, 2022 at 7:27 PM
    alittleoff

alittleoff New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    '16 TP
    Go out and buy another 4-Runner, live it up.

9. Jan 26, 2022 at 7:27 PM
    4Daughters

4Daughters It’s how I know God has a sense of humor

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD ORP; Silver; too many port options...Ah well...
    TBD
  10. Jan 26, 2022 at 7:28 PM
    The last breed

Member:
    First Name:
    Muhammad
    Vehicle:
    Oh no, my life is over. I am looking forward to death now. Even walking hurts.

11. Jan 26, 2022 at 7:30 PM
    nimby

nimby in the drink

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    California
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5P
    Anxiety probably plays a larger role in this then you initially might think. It can really trick your body into thinking it's in pain, but it can be overcome.

Meditation and mindfulness is very good for anxiety. It's hard for a lot of people to get at first but practice, patients, and persistence is key. Get an app like Headspace or Calm and practice mediation twice a day for 20 minutes each time.

As for mindfulness, just try to be fully focussed on whatever you're doing in that moment. Let's say you washing the dishes.....focus on the temperature of the water on your hands, the smell of the dish soap, the sound of the water running, ect.... If you find your mind wandering towards your pain, re-focus back to whatever the task is you're focussing on.

Talk therapy is also very effective. Find a therapist that you can work with about your anxiety. It might not be the first therapist you go to either. It's ok to switch if you don't connect with them.

hallcs, BionicRandy, Toy4X4 and 2 others like this.
  12. Jan 26, 2022 at 7:32 PM
    The last breed

Member:
    First Name:
    Muhammad
    Vehicle:
    I am emotionally too weak. I am exhausted already :(

13. Jan 26, 2022 at 7:33 PM
    GrantA

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    - GOBI roof rack and ladder - Westcott Design Rock sliders - M.O.R.E. Underbody Skid plates - Dual ARB air compressor & ARB single compressor - LED interior lighting - Ironman 2.0 meter awning and enclosure - Ironman winch with factor55 hook - Ironman foam cell pro suspension - Ironman recovery snatch rope - Ironman recovery traction boards - lilbscustomfab Hybrid Front Bumper - lilbscustomfab BMC - RRW RR7-H Hybrid Beadlock wheels - Nitto Trail Grapplers 285/75/17 M/T - 4.88 gears - ARB front air locker - ARB rear air locker - Hi-lift jack & mount - Sony aftermarket speakers - LASFIT External LED Light Conversion - Center console organizer - Glovebox organizer - ICS phone Mount holder - C4 rear bumper with dual swing arms - C4 gas skid plate - C4 rear diff skid plates
  14. Jan 26, 2022 at 7:36 PM
    GrantA

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Your mind is powerful. Keep working too focus on other things. Idk how long you have known but the beginning stages of anything is hard. Don’t quit at the beginning. Work through to find out what works for you. This is a great time to get to know yourself more.

15. Jan 26, 2022 at 7:36 PM
    ElectroBoy

ElectroBoy Ad astra

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 ORP
    So sorry for your health problems.
    The doctors should have done a full work up and looked at many things to diagnose you. A severe vitamin deficiency can be a cause. Have you had any issues like recent diseases or infections, exposure to toxic chemicals, physical injuries, a family history of diabetes? It’s terrible to not know what caused this.

The last breed[OP] likes this.
  16. Jan 26, 2022 at 7:42 PM
    The last breed

Member:
    First Name:
    Muhammad
    Vehicle:
    I had a car accident and had a back sprain. A month later my feet started burning. Doc says car accident cannot cause this, though the anxiety could.
    My back sprain 70% healed already.

17. Jan 26, 2022 at 7:49 PM
    The last breed

Member:
    First Name:
    Muhammad
    Vehicle:
    Does anybody know how the Physician assisted suicide law works? I want to follow the law even for death.

18. Jan 26, 2022 at 7:50 PM
    GrantA

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    I am with Electroboy on this as well. I would get a second opinion from another doctor. I am not a doctor but Wikipedia is all I got and it seems like the list of possible causes is a lot. Sounds like you need a doctor to work with you to go over all of those and find the root cause. Not just categorize it and call it done but work with you diligently to get you taken care of.

Case and point. For my EOE I was struggling to eat for 5 years. Every so often I would choke on food. I had done all these tests. Finally I went to a gastroenterologist and he said I need to do an endoscopy. He said before he even went in there that it sounds like EOE. He did it (I was nervous for sure). He took a biopsy. Sent it out and came back with an actual solution. I met with an allergy doctor and found out what foods I should be avoiding (gluten and milk). I am feeling 1000% better and more confident when I go out that I won’t need the hemlock maneuver. Granted avoiding wheat flour and milk sucks it has made things a lot better.

I believe you’re still in the early stages but don’t give up seeking help and again focusing on yourself and trying to block out the pain (I know it is easier said than done).

19. Jan 26, 2022 at 7:52 PM
    The last breed

Member:
    First Name:
    Muhammad
    Vehicle:
    Not that I am about to commit suicide, but I want keep my options open lol.

20. Jan 26, 2022 at 7:56 PM
    GrantA

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Well you see the law is one thing. The law is not above God. He may have so much more for you to experience. If the law says it is okay it doesn’t mean God says it is okay (at least that is what I believe).

I would highly encourage you to call the suicide hotline (800-273-8255). If you are struggling, alone, and need someone. They have experience and can help get you going. I have lost family from suicide and I don’t take this kinda discussion lightly.

21. Jan 26, 2022 at 8:00 PM
    The last breed

Member:
    First Name:
    Muhammad
    Vehicle:
    No I am alright, don't worry. Just a discussion.
    What I know about God is that his mercy and compassion has no limit. He will forgive his weak and anxious and scared little creature.

GrantA[QUOTED] likes this.
  22. Jan 26, 2022 at 8:05 PM
    The last breed

Member:
    First Name:
    Muhammad
    Vehicle:
    He is God. He knows 8 year old little me was anxious in his bed and couldn't go to sleep. 8 year old little me had fears that couldn't tell anybody. 8 year old little me had a high pulse rate. God knows all that. He will not put that little boy in hell fire. That little boy hasn't hurt anybody.

GrantA likes this.
  23. Jan 26, 2022 at 8:06 PM
    GrantA

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    He is a gracious God. Ask him into your heart. Seek him and his will for you and follow him. I know this sucks and I can’t even come close to relating to you. But you are not alone. So many people out there going through the same thing (some worse) and I pray one day you can use this horrible experience to share with someone else that is going through this. You can be a light from the darkness of your past. Helping others through it. This is going to be a taking it day by day or maybe even minute by minute. Please don’t give up hope.

24. Jan 26, 2022 at 8:08 PM
    The last breed

Member:
    First Name:
    Muhammad
    Vehicle:
    Little boy in me is so tired. His heart has been beating at rapid pace for decades. He is very tired. He wants to go to God where he will be sleeping on his lap in peace.

25. Jan 26, 2022 at 8:11 PM
    GrantA

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    I know but only when he is ready to call you there. Don’t go before then. I will pray for you tonight before I go to sleep.

26. Jan 26, 2022 at 8:13 PM
    The last breed

Member:
    First Name:
    Muhammad
    Vehicle:
    Thank you

27. Jan 26, 2022 at 8:20 PM
    ElectroBoy

ElectroBoy Ad astra

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 ORP
    Grant has good advice. The mind/body connection is is a real thing. Practice relaxation to attain calm and peace through mindfulness, prayer, meditation each day. And don’t forget to get some exercise. You need to approach this calmly and with the dedication of a scientist or detective. Don’t give up. There *is* a cause of this. Actively work with your doctors to figure this out and get other doctors involved if you are not satisfied with them. Good luck, we’re rooting for you.

28. Jan 27, 2022 at 4:17 AM
    4Daughters

4Daughters It’s how I know God has a sense of humor

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD ORP; Silver; too many port options...Ah well...
    TBD
    I don’t pretend to understand your ailment, but I do understand physical pain and the frustration it brings. In 2020 I herniated a disk in my lower back. Short term relief came through meds and shots, and long term relief (somewhat) through physical therapy. I’ll carry it around for the rest of my life. In 2021 my wife and I both went through Covid. In the depths of the extreme fatigue, I thought, is this the new normal? Will we ever feel right again? So as best as our experience has brought, I understand those type of thoughts.

Doctors can help relieve pain but only God can bring peace through His son Jesus. He told us that He is the prince of peace, and that through him we have peace with God. I pray that you seek and find Him through this heavy trial.

GrantA and Commited like this.
  29. Jan 27, 2022 at 5:15 AM
    SCMountaineer

SCMountaineer New Member

Member:
    Upstate South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    On my third 5th gen — 2021 SR5 premium 4wd
    Gunmetal TRD wheels, Yakima rack, Canvasback covers
    Friend, I don't begin to know what you're going through right now, but I'm sure getting that diagnosis has been a punch in the gut. You've already gotten some great advice here, and I'll repeat what others have said--the anxiety you are feeling is perfectly normal, but also making things worse for you. There is no harm or shame in treating that while you wrap your head around the rest. Find a community of others who are living with this. You might find a wealth of information and support there. (several years ago, I was diagnosed with cancer, and it was a real comfort to stumble upon a facebook group of people who had the same kind.)

30. Jan 27, 2022 at 7:25 AM
    The last breed

Member:
    First Name:
    Muhammad
    Vehicle:
    Thank you everyone.

Products Discussed in

To Top