1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Got an alignment. 4Runner now pulls to the right.

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Forever, Feb 3, 2023.

1. Feb 3, 2023 at 7:29 PM
    Forever

Forever [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    5th gen SR5
    Eibach Pro stage 1 suspension. Kenda Klever R/T 33x10.5r17 TRD wheels blacked out Freedom off road UCAs Cornfed 1/2” rear spacer Bodyarmor4x4 Hiline bumper Smittybilt X20 10k winch Roadshock LED light bar Badlands D ring shackles TrailGear roof rack Raptor lights, amber fogs, pro grill, etc.
    Basically the title. I recently lifted my 4Runner. Eibach 2.75” lift w/ Freedom Offroad UCAs.

Took the vehicle into les Schwab for an alignment. The car now pulls noticeably to the right. The only thing they adjusted was the toe. There is a half degree discrepancy between the left and right caster angles, with the left being at 4.0 and the right being at 3.5, which might explain the right biased pulling now that the toe is back in line.

my review receipt stated; “multiple off road components installed” which makes me think they didn’t/ won’t bother adjusting aftermarket parts.

Looking for inputs or suggestions to fix this issue. I plan on calling les Schwab back tomorrow, but it might not be worth my time if they won’t bother with modified vehicles.

C6903DB1-2060-400D-960C-2819B8CEBE50.jpg

2. Feb 3, 2023 at 7:37 PM
    Slopemaster

Slopemaster Slope Survivalist

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    265-70-17 Ridge Grapplers, TRD Pro rims, 3M precut bra, N-Fab nerf/steps
    I’ve heard it takes some skill and finesse to get our 4Runners properly aligned. It took two tries by my dealership to get it “right” after I had the lift removed.

Forever[OP] likes this.
  3. Feb 4, 2023 at 4:02 AM
    tblt44

tblt44 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Tampa
    Vehicle:
    2021 4 runner
    N/A
    Take it back let them try again.
    I had the same issue with my chevy also the steering wheel not centered.
    The third time I did it myself in the driveway .
    4 cement blocks some string stretched tight you can do your own toe in, just takes time

4. Feb 4, 2023 at 4:29 AM
    sportcoupe

sportcoupe New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Pro Solar Octane
    Most roads are higher in the center so that water will runoff.

Cross camber and cross camber help the vehicle travel in a straight line on a crowned road. However, on a flat road, the vehicle would drift to the left.

For vehicles that drive on the right side of the road, the right-side tires will have more negative camber and more positive caster.

Your cross camber seems good. Your cross caster seems backwards. You want the right caster to be 4.0° and the left caster 3.5°.

5. Feb 4, 2023 at 5:57 AM
    DIRTRCR13

DIRTRCR13 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerm
    The 405
    Vehicle:
    '16 Sierra Romeo Cinco
    Fuel Trophy 17x8.5, Nitto TG2's, Roof Rack delete, RC spacer lift and so much more to come...
    Does it "pull" right or drift to the right?
    And yes, there is a difference. You want a drift so you dont run into on-coming traffic incase of (insert morbid thought/ disaster here).
    And like mentioned above, most roads are crowned away from the center line.

But, if you are not happy with it, take it back and have them do it again, but this time correctly.

6. Feb 4, 2023 at 9:18 AM
    Forever

Forever [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    5th gen SR5
    Eibach Pro stage 1 suspension. Kenda Klever R/T 33x10.5r17 TRD wheels blacked out Freedom off road UCAs Cornfed 1/2” rear spacer Bodyarmor4x4 Hiline bumper Smittybilt X20 10k winch Roadshock LED light bar Badlands D ring shackles TrailGear roof rack Raptor lights, amber fogs, pro grill, etc.
    Drift would be a more accurate term, the truck needs consistent attention now to track straight compared to before, very responsive to minor wheel inputs.

But, I’m sure there are many factors outside of alignment that contribute to this. New tire break in period if that is a thing, PSI, larger squirmer tread blocks my new rugged terrains vs my old all terrains, etc.

Thank you all for your feedback!

DIRTRCR13 likes this.
  7. Feb 4, 2023 at 9:32 AM
    MAXIM

MAXIM New Member

Member:
    The only way to test this properly is on perfectly flat road. Does it pull on the highway? Does it pull still when you are on the left side of 2 lane road such as when passing which makes road crown on your right? But either way, sounds like you need your steering wheel centered properly. It is possible that muscle memory of previous position makes you turn it right slightly and therefore you catching yourself correcting to the left all the time now.

Forever[OP] likes this.
  8. Feb 4, 2023 at 10:27 AM
    MidniteTRD

MidniteTRD New Member

Member:
    Augusta GA
    what MAXIM said. do you drive on roads with a pronounced "crown" in the middle to promote drainage?

find a completely flat surface and see if it still does the same thing. my other car has a perfect, "zero-toe" alignment and will pull to the right on some roads just because its following the surface.

Forever[OP] likes this.
  9. Feb 4, 2023 at 1:36 PM
    Foothills

Foothills New Member

Member:
    Find a local 4x4 shop that installs lifts mainly on Toyotas, they may have their own alignment setup and a tech who knows how to dial in a T4R, if not they'll recommend the alignment shop they use.
    Anyway thats what it took for me to get a decent alignment after 2 false tries at 2 different shops, truck now seems to steer iteself on the highway with steering wheel returning to center with minimal input, no abnormal wear on the tires, a real pleasure to drive now.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
    Forever[OP], kolter45 and Old Tanker like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top