1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Good off road trailer options

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by Mariam, May 1, 2022.

1. May 1, 2022 at 12:12 AM
    Mariam

Mariam [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner SR5 Premium
    I'm looking for something that I don't need to always hook up to shore power to have a luxury camping experience.
    Important items: Timbren supspension (open to anything just as good)
    Solar, battery/ propane with good inverter and also ability to hook up to shore power
    articulating hitch
    power fridge, not just an ice chest

I really like the Mammoth Overland, but it's a year wait list (with a very small refundable deposit)
    I was hoping to get something sooner than later, but good things are not always easy to get.
    Any suggestions?

hossler1788 likes this.
  2. May 1, 2022 at 12:57 AM
    Kyblack76

Kyblack76 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Layton, Utah
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD O.R
    Seems like we are looking for basically the same thing. I want light, not huge, but with some stuff. (water, some power, and such).
    I'm looking used myself. (around here, many buy shit, realize they don't actually want/use it, and flip it) The MDC mod box looks right up my alley, and they even have a distribution center place local to me. There are sooooo many damn choices, and options, as well as shit costing more than i paid for my damn house. Free spirit, looks aight, and the Turtle back, is the one id really dig, but, i cant pay what they want, even for the low budget one. Maybe ill find a used one of those at some point. Good luck, sorry I'm zero help, and maybe let us know what direction you go.

Mariam[OP] and Toy4X4 like this.
  3. May 1, 2022 at 1:05 AM
    wdsteven

wdsteven New Member

Member:
    There is a wide range of them available for the right now or shorter time wait list but they certainly will hit the pocket book So I will list the few I have seen or had experience with.
    hivecampers dot com <----- website just change the word to what it is.
    Beantrailer dot com <------- The first 4 are Utah made
    xpeditiontrailers dot com <------- super nice big budget one thought
    vorsheershop dot com
    turtlebacktrailers dot com this is one to consider super well built extra rugged and great support however will have to get a good roof top tent to go with it

Mariam[OP] likes this.
  4. May 1, 2022 at 2:34 AM
    Getuponit

Getuponit New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Vehicle:
    2013 4Runner
    Check out Opus trailers. We have an OP4. Not equipped with an inverter, the camper has met our needs. Super easy to care for and fits in our garage. I'm 6' 4", preferred a unit I could stand up in.

K-Paul and Mariam[OP] like this.
  5. May 1, 2022 at 8:42 AM
    Mariam

Mariam [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner SR5 Premium
    I am looking for something in the 30K or less price range, and nothing on it that can get mildewy...no pop out tents, ect. Western Washington weather will destroy anything that is not 100% water proof as I dont have covered storage (however if I'm waiting a year to get something I could probably afford to put some kind of cover in my RV parking area).

6. May 2, 2022 at 6:43 AM
    Kyblack76

Kyblack76 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Layton, Utah
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD O.R
    Good god, for that, (im looking at like 10k) look at a turle back

7. May 2, 2022 at 7:14 AM
    Mariam

Mariam [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner SR5 Premium
    i dont want to sleep in anything that is not hard sided though, i think turtle backs only provide a tent to sleep in, but i could be wrong, illl look into them

8. May 3, 2022 at 1:18 PM
    Kyblack76

Kyblack76 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Layton, Utah
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD O.R
    Nope your 100% correct. Im,.. going a way WAY other way. Cheers.

9. May 3, 2022 at 6:05 PM
    Mariam

Mariam [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner SR5 Premium
    I did get a call back from TurtleBack and they only have tent sleeping options.
    BUT>..I found a couple of other companies, So-Cal Teardrops and Hyk Outdoors. The guy at Hyk Outdoors is really a neat guy and is more about getting people outdoors than a huge profit and his trailers are reasonable! Only thing is Id have to drive to MO to go get it..anyone up for a road trip from seattle to MO?

wdsteven likes this.
  10. May 4, 2022 at 7:27 AM
    Kyblack76

Kyblack76 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Layton, Utah
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD O.R
    Right on my guy. I meeting the dudes at MDCUSA next week, to sniff around their options. Again, im going way way cheaper. I like their style, the people there, i mean. So, ill go check them out. Maybe yoink one (rent) for a week, and use it and see if the runner can even pull the thing decently, and if its really something we want/need. Best of luck mate. Snap some pics when you (if you) get it. Id love to see it, and how you think the runner pulls it. Cheers.

11. May 4, 2022 at 4:42 PM
    wdsteven

wdsteven New Member

Member:
    Keep in Mind the smallest one they have (XT12HR) dry weight is around 4,050 LBS and the 4Runner is tow rated at 5,000 LBS so by the time you fill the water tank and pack your gear you will be pushing that 5,000 Plus LBS because you need to also count what you put inside the 4Runner like driver, passengers the dog.....

12. May 4, 2022 at 5:17 PM
    wdsteven

wdsteven New Member

Member:
    The Hyk Trailback is a awesome camper that can be kept well within the weight for a 4Runner to tow and if you go about it real careful you can option it up and stay well in the budget target but the only thing they did not offer when I looked at them was a Solar setup (they may now but I don't know) however installing a Solar setup is very easy now that the new ones come with a Roof Rack. the So-Cal teardrops have leaf suspension and past experience with that on the trail makes me say no to it

13. May 4, 2022 at 10:26 PM
    Kyblack76

Kyblack76 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Layton, Utah
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD O.R
    Not sure where your looking, but, the one MDC mod box I'm looking at, has a GVWR of 3305lbs (Tare of around 1800). Again, I'm not looking for a monster huge set up. I'm looking at a low buck, low weight Overland (I hate that word) set up. Like the mod box. Looks right up my alley.

https://www.mdcusa.com/product/mod-box-camper-trailer/

14. May 5, 2022 at 3:00 AM
    wdsteven

wdsteven New Member

Member:
    ahhh you looking at real overlanding tent trailers and the Op is looking at hard side Travel trailers that is 2 entirely different worlds of camping and type of locations you can access.

Mariam[OP] likes this.
  15. May 5, 2022 at 3:39 AM
    Kyblack76

Kyblack76 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Layton, Utah
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD O.R
    Yerrrrrrrrppp. No worries boss.

16. May 5, 2022 at 8:53 AM
    iamincrediboy

iamincrediboy New Member

Member:
    South FL
    Vehicle:
    2005 V8 4Runner Limited - Silver
  17. May 5, 2022 at 12:48 PM
    Sixgunz

Sixgunz Gold Member

Member:
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    2022 ORP
    Kings front and back, RSG sliders, GOBI ladder BFG AT 285s, OEM phone dial wheels, KDSS

Looks like this might fit your parameters.

https://taxaoutdoors.com/habitats/tigermoth-overland/

18. May 7, 2022 at 6:45 AM
    Mariam

Mariam [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner SR5 Premium
    Well I wish I was more handy, I found a really cool company out of northern idaho who provides what you need to DIY. For those of you who are handy and don't want to spend way too much money, this looks like an awesome option!
    https://overlandtrailer.com/

19. May 7, 2022 at 6:53 AM
    GrantA

GrantA Enjoying God’s creation

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Fully locked 2020 SR5 Premium
    - GOBI roof rack and ladder - Westcott Design Rock sliders - M.O.R.E. Underbody Skid plates - Dual ARB air compressor & ARB single compressor - LED interior lighting - Ironman 2.0 meter awning and enclosure - Ironman winch with factor55 hook - Ironman foam cell pro suspension - Ironman recovery snatch rope - Ironman recovery traction boards - lilbscustomfab Hybrid Front Bumper - lilbscustomfab BMC - RRW RR7-H Hybrid Beadlock wheels - Nitto Trail Grapplers 285/75/17 M/T - 4.88 gears - ARB front air locker - ARB rear air locker - Hi-lift jack & mount - Sony aftermarket speakers - LASFIT External LED Light Conversion - Center console organizer - Glovebox organizer - ICS phone Mount holder - C4 rear bumper with dual swing arms - C4 gas skid plate - C4 rear diff skid plates
    Oh that is short. I am on a road trip back to North Carolina. Just drove from North Carolina to Arizona last weekend. Driving back right now. If I can cover 2000 miles in less than 40 hours you got this.

20. Jun 21, 2022 at 4:59 PM
    LeeTN

LeeTN New Member

Member:
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2022 Red 4Runner TRD ORP
    Vistabule?

21. Mar 10, 2024 at 11:55 AM
    coryanderson

coryanderson New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 4x4 - black and tan
    285/75r17 KO2, Bilstein 5100s in front, Dobinsons mid travel shocks in rear with ICON overland springs, P&P Sliders & skids, LFD front bumper, Warn EVO 10-S winch, ARB Dual Compressor w/ Bandi mount, Shrockworks Dual Battery Tray, Westcott roof rack, Kenwood DMX 8709
    Do you still have the OP4? I'm looking at buying one and curious how people like them.

22. Mar 10, 2024 at 12:03 PM
    Old Tanker

Old Tanker New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Vehicle:
    "Matilda" 2019 ORP
    Front: Hefty. Rear: LFD. Sliders: RSG. Armor: LFD and Bud Built. Tires: KM3. Switchpro.
    Check Rustic Mountain.

23. Mar 11, 2024 at 5:51 AM
    Getuponit

Getuponit New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Vehicle:
    2013 4Runner
    Had to sell due health reasons, really a sad goodbye.

Cabinetry was of basic construction, we are in our 60's always questioned how it hold up with a small family.
    Needed more storage, had to get creative.
    Hot shower never used
    Air Canopy never used
    Wheel lock never used
    Solar panel worked like a champ, never lost charge- we didn't upgrade our batteries
    Gotta watch h20 tanks- for trailering down the road, don't leave the rear heavier (at least I didn't)
    Durable canvas, hope that the air compressor doesn't fail.

I'm 6'4" standing up in a unit was a deal breaker and the OP4 fit the bill. Storage was another concern, we were able to keep in the garage, with the batteries topped up.

4Runner was at it limits towing. Didn't have the chance to tow off -road, due to health circumstances out of my control.

4Runner equipped with rear air bags and rear stabilizers. Never had any sway. Made 3 regional trips and 1 epic out to the North Rim from Fairlawn, OH.

Edit to add: 4runner equipped with 4:56 regear

24. Mar 11, 2024 at 7:12 AM
    scarkinsmel

scarkinsmel New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Vehicle:
    2021 ORP
    I looked at oodles of teardrops, and offroad trailers a couple years ago. Oregon trailer was on the short list, found one locally used, but it didn’t have a few options I wanted.

I ended up buying a Hyk, and as I live 35 ,minutes away looked at them so many times before I bought. The crew is fantastic, the trailer I had was amazing. Quickly I realized the wife and I did not have the same outdoors adventures planned, so I didn’t use it nearly as often as I’d hoped and Hyk consigned it and sold it to another family.

I sat in a crazy thunderstorm in Arkansas as tents, vans, and all numbers of other means of camping either blew away, or had to be taken down due to the wind and downpour. It was also used a few times in less than ideal weather. Mine was water tight. Never a leak.

I towed it with a FJ, no issues. Well, save the mpg dropping big style.

Personally, if I ever buy again, I’d have them build one out exactly as I wanted and be really happy, if the wife ever decides camping, MTB, gravel racing and the occasional weekend off grid is fun, doubtful.

Hyk is awesome, the drive out is long, but not terrible. I’m also willing to tow it out halfway, heck, they might agree to as well, to mitigate the drive time. Promise I won’t sleep in it. I really loved my Hyk, but it just wasn’t getting used and whether it’s super awesome and useful if it sits in my garage, it was being wasted.67468879977__16E32A94-6167-4014-AFFE-CA4D67C7D9E7.fullsizerender.jpg

25. Mar 11, 2024 at 8:02 AM
    PointmanUSMC

PointmanUSMC New Member

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2023 Black TRD ORP 4 Runner Bronze Rims
    Everyone is different but you have to ask yourself. How often do you plan to use and where for your off road trailer? Don't get me wrong I love the little off road trailers however your wife or significant other may appreciate sleeping in something less like a coffin. Just about every where you go now a days has a state of national forest with RV sites. You could potentially park your RV rig in a safer place and then go 4 wheeling during the day away from camp.

In 2022 the wife and I picked up one of these and so far have little complaints. It's a bit smaller than we are used to but we like it so far. if you didn't want the teardrop "Off-Road" route. Try taking a look at the KZ Escape 191BHK. They offer a winter package with heated under belly and a solar package. I don't know if the solar package would be completely off grid capable off the lot. All depends on the amount of power your draining with the fridge AC fans lights etc. Check em out if you want.

https://www.kz-rv.com/travel-trailers.html

Here is there E17 Hatch model if you want to throw bikes kayaks etc inside.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2024
  26. Mar 11, 2024 at 9:12 AM
    coryanderson

coryanderson New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    285/75r17 KO2, Bilstein 5100s in front, Dobinsons mid travel shocks in rear with ICON overland springs, P&P Sliders & skids, LFD front bumper, Warn EVO 10-S winch, ARB Dual Compressor w/ Bandi mount, Shrockworks Dual Battery Tray, Westcott roof rack, Kenwood DMX 8709
    Thanks! Sorry about the health stuff.

How is the hitch? It's different than I'm used to. It allows more articulation it looks like. Does that change how it works with a weight distribution hitch?

What stabilizers are you talking about?

My rear end has the overland springs from ICON, so I don't think I'll need airbags. I really want to regear our 4runner, maybe after buying a trailer to tow, my wife will notice how sluggish the 4R is and she'll recommend a regear (one can hope).

We have a fifth wheel, but it's 43' long and we are planning to live out of it for the next year or so while we remodel our house. We are wanting something we can tow out to the middle of nowhere, off-road races, national parks, or up and down Baja. We also have a truck camper (in my avatar) but I'm currently in the stages of a complete rebuild on that thing. The long-term plan is to sell the fifth wheel, get our truck camper back into operation and then we can tow the OPUS or something similar for extra sleeping for kids and friends while we get the truck camper to our adult selves.

27. Mar 11, 2024 at 10:53 AM
    Getuponit

Getuponit New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Vehicle:
    2013 4Runner
    Loved the hitch- put some zerks in it and let it articulate. Dobinson rear stabilizers (could be using wrong term). Don't have any experience with weight

distribution hitches. Like your plan!

28. Mar 11, 2024 at 11:43 AM
    DesertSurfer

DesertSurfer New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2024 T4R ORP w/KDSS Underground
    IMG_1017.png I’ve been looking at this one, it’s called the Nucamp T@G Boondock overland trailer, pretty darn lite too! Looking for a nice clean used one.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2024
  29. Mar 11, 2024 at 12:11 PM
    coryanderson

coryanderson New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Put some zerks in it?

I can't find those rear stabilizers you mentioned.

30. Mar 11, 2024 at 12:37 PM
    coryanderson

coryanderson New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    If we end up buying an Opus, then we could make an arrangement to "share" it. I was already talking to my wife about renting ours out. There is a couple OP4s available for rent in San Diego county, but they are in Jamul/Alpine. I live 12 minutes from the airport, so makes it ideal for pickup and drop off for people wanting to fly in and head out for a camping trip.

Ricphoto likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top