1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Gas odor inside

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by CP77, Feb 1, 2023.

1. Feb 1, 2023 at 8:25 AM
    CP77

CP77 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4RUNNER Limited
    My 2003 V8 has 197k. I have owned it since 2014 with 136k on it. Maintenance has been regular as well as miscellaneous repairs over the years. Last week when I started it up a strong gas odor was apparent. Mechanic said don’t drive so had it towed knowing they couldn’t look at it until this week. As of today, Wednesday they still can’t figure out what caused the odor. Checked everywhere they say. Any suggestions? It’s still in the shop.

2. Feb 2, 2023 at 12:39 PM
    iamincrediboy

iamincrediboy New Member

Member:
    South FL
    Vehicle:
    2005 V8 4Runner Limited - Silver
    Gas odor inside the cabin? There are rather very few ways for fuel to get there without doing so deliberately... is the smell constant or only when the engine is running? any visible leaks/fluid under the vehicle anywhere? any reason to think the gas filler tube has a leak and it spilled on its way to the tank? headgasket leak where fumes got into the engine bay and then some how into the cabin air inlet? just throwing ideas on the wall at this point if your mechanical hasnt already found it

3. Feb 2, 2023 at 4:45 PM
    CP77

CP77 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4RUNNER Limited
    Yes it happened when I started it. My mechanic hasn’t been able to locate the source. He filled the tank and drove it a few times, nothing. One morning he smelled it but not since. Said they had it up several different times. Looked at literally everything, even using a mirror at times. I’m picking it up tomorrow. At this point I’m Leary to drive it but that’s not an option. Thanks for your reply. I have a feeling I will be taking it across town to my old mechanic to check it out.

Products Discussed in

To Top