1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Front end sag with lopro bumper + winch

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Thacrow, Aug 8, 2022.

1. Aug 8, 2022 at 4:46 PM
    Thacrow

Thacrow [OP] New Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2021 ORP
    Speed holes
    Just put on C4 LoPro and Warn winch. Now front end is sagging down and lifting the rear as shown. Any suggestions on s fix? It rides noticeably worse.

Suspension is ADS shocks with Ebach 700# springs in the front coils with Icon 52800 3" overlanding springs in the back

Before lopro:
    https://imgur.com/of3pT7A

After lopro:
    https://imgur.com/uARvD8d

Prior to the addition of the lopro and winch is already had the below.
    BAMF rock Sliders
    C4 full skid plates (steel)

Most of the weight of everything is towards the front have of the 4runner with the lopro and winch obviously hanging out in front of the front tires.

Anyone have experience with this? are there heavier duty springs or coilovers? switch to aluminum skid plates? throw a steel bumper int he back to even the weight out?

oh - and pic of the front end
    https://imgur.com/HvV5bKj

Last edited: Aug 8, 2022
  2. Aug 8, 2022 at 4:58 PM
    Antman

Antman New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner off-road premium, 2022 Tacoma
    2021 4Runner: King Coilovers King rear shocks Camburg UCA’s Spc rear Trail arms Icon 52700 rear springs Icon panhard bar SCS Ray10’s Rci Sliders Rci Full Skids 2022 Tacoma Offroad: King Coilovers King rear shocks Deaver leaf springs Camburg UCA Scs Gen 5 Bamf front hybrid bumper Rci Full Skids Rci Sliders
    My wife’s 4runner sagged as well, I went from a 550 coil to a 600 with my wife’s and I adjusted by a few threads and had no sag. You may want to adjust the collar to get the height back.

suaveflooder and Thacrow[OP] like this.
  3. Aug 8, 2022 at 4:59 PM
    Thacrow

Thacrow [OP] New Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2021 ORP
    Speed holes
    I think I'm about maxed out on the height of the collar. It's a 2.5" coilover (capable of going 3") and i went 3".

I have 2" springs for the rear i could swap over but I'd love to see 3" of lift.

different coils better capable of getting to 3"?

4. Aug 8, 2022 at 5:15 PM
    Antman

Antman New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner off-road premium, 2022 Tacoma
    2021 4Runner: King Coilovers King rear shocks Camburg UCA’s Spc rear Trail arms Icon 52700 rear springs Icon panhard bar SCS Ray10’s Rci Sliders Rci Full Skids 2022 Tacoma Offroad: King Coilovers King rear shocks Deaver leaf springs Camburg UCA Scs Gen 5 Bamf front hybrid bumper Rci Full Skids Rci Sliders
    can’t speak on the coils. I have kings on my wife’s. Not sure maybe someone else can chime in? Maybe not all coils are created equal.

You could give accutune offroad a call and explain your situation. They may have a solution for you.

Thacrow[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  5. Aug 8, 2022 at 5:37 PM
    Thacrow

Thacrow [OP] New Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2021 ORP
    Speed holes
    I'll be giving them a call tomorrow thank you

Antman likes this.
  6. Aug 8, 2022 at 11:56 PM
    blksubykid

blksubykid New Member

Member:
    Same. Running lo-pro with winch and a few more things upfront, I have custom valving and #600 springs on my Kings. Very little preload and I’m at 2.5” up front

Antman[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Aug 9, 2022 at 7:49 AM
    singalls

singalls New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Off-Road Premium
    Just chiming in as I'm very interested in this thread. Surprised that OP still has sag with 700 springs on it. I'm thinking of adding similar winch/armor set up and want to also figure out how I will have to adjust my current stock suspension. Not sure if upgrading to a 5K king set up the requisite fix though.

Thacrow[OP] likes this.
  8. Aug 9, 2022 at 7:52 AM
    blksubykid

blksubykid New Member

Member:
    Your best bet would be:

5100 with OME or Dobinson springs or Dobinson IMS setup

You do not need high performance race shocks lol

MeefZah, Thacrow[OP] and ChessGuy like this.
  9. Aug 9, 2022 at 11:27 AM
    Thacrow

Thacrow [OP] New Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2021 ORP
    Speed holes
    No you really don't but I got nice shocks and the forged aluminum icon UCLAs and trailing arms because my wife didn't want me messing with the 4runner. But once she got compliments from people that then allowed me to get the roof rack and cut the bumper for the low pro...she even became insistent upon it. If i need to change the suspension i may opt to go the route you mention because you're absolutely right. Don't need it. Waste of money.

10. Aug 9, 2022 at 11:28 AM
    Thacrow

Thacrow [OP] New Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2021 ORP
    Speed holes
    I bought my setup really quickly over the phone and got a pretty vague invoice so I'm kinda wondering if i was sold the 700's or something lower that happened to be in stock.

11. Aug 9, 2022 at 11:52 AM
    blksubykid

blksubykid New Member

Member:
    It really comes down to what type of off-roading you do. I ran 6112/5160s for 4 years and they served me well for most of the trails we did, but I live in CA and alot of my friends enjoy bombing through the desert. The main reason I switch to Kings was that the Bilsteins needed to be serviced and I wanted to take advantage of the custom valving and gain a bit more articulation with custom length rear shocks without going full out long travel.

12. Aug 9, 2022 at 11:56 AM
    blksubykid

blksubykid New Member

Member:
    Did a quick google search and there doesnt seem to be too much info on ADS shocks for the 4runner. On the website, it looks like it comes standard with #650 springs. Like a few others said, I'd try giving Accutune and ADS a call

13. Aug 9, 2022 at 12:09 PM
    dcwn.45

dcwn.45 New Member

Member:
    I installed a low pro bumper from SSO (haven’t installed my winch yet ,Warn M8000) and my front only sagged 1/4” . I’m on stock suspension with 1” Cornfed spacers front and rear
    I expect it to sag more with the winch and I will be doing front coilovers at that time
    I really don’t want a stiffer ride, just better dampening

Thacrow[OP] likes this.
  14. Aug 9, 2022 at 12:20 PM
    Thacrow

Thacrow [OP] New Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2021 ORP
    Speed holes
    Yeah apparently they were for the Tacoma but the reseller said they bolt right up to the 4runner, and they did. Reputable reseller on forums so I didn't see any issue trusting them. Calling them later today...

15. Aug 9, 2022 at 12:27 PM
    ChessGuy

ChessGuy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    LR
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro / 2017 Tacoma TRD Pro
    Too many..... Performance: • Magnusum Supercharger • Gibson exhaust with dual black tip • Pedal Commander * PowerBrakes • Suspension – Old Man Emu BP-51 front and back with Medium load coils • Tires: AT3 Faulken Wildpeak – 285/70/17 • Wheels: Relations Race Wheels, RR7-H with -12 offset • Full roof rack and ladder by Westcott Design (removed the stock Yakima basket) • Molle storage panels by Rago fabrication • Front light brackets by Rago • Illuminator light bracket by Rago (roof rack location) Lights • Morimoto front and back with sequential signals • Morimoto fog lights and side mirrors with sequential signals • 40” Baja design light bar for roof rack • 20” S8 Baja design driving combo (winch location) • Squadron sport baja design ditch lights • S2 Chase lights by baja designs (mounted on roof) In the bay: • Odyssey 34-PC Battery • SDQH Aluminum billet battery terminals and bracket • Switch Pro 9100 with aluminum tray • Anytime front and back camera • ARB twin compressor Recovery & Protection: • Smittybilt X20 synthetic rope winch • Factor 55 fairlead and flatlink • Southern Style Off-road (SSO) low profile bumper • SSO stage 2 high clearance wings • Weekend warrior recovery kit by treaty oak • RCI – skid plates – entire vehicle + catalytic converter protection wings Interior: • Nano Ceramic IR – Avery Dennison Window tint – all windows • Several phone mounts • Upgraded Rear Hatch lift gate struts (ladder is heavy) • Boom blaster horn switch (featuring La cucaracha)
    That is what I run. OME Bp51 on the front and the medium coil in the back. I just put a low profile bumper too along with a winch...and I do see a little of tilting towards the front but not so bad. We took measurements before and after and lost maybe 0.70" if that after adding the bumper winch combo which is at least 300lbs. I expected the change but it isn't so bad IMO.
    I would be careful if not maxing out too much on the coils in the front so you give yourself a little fat left. But then again, I'm not an expert so best to check with some of the big boys.

20220804_144856.jpg

Thacrow[OP] likes this.
  16. Aug 9, 2022 at 12:44 PM
    Thacrow

Thacrow [OP] New Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2021 ORP
    Speed holes
    Nice viper cut!

Yeah so called Accutune, when the wife comes back with the 4runner I'm grabbing into off the front springs and calling them back with the weight of everything added to the vehicle. Definitely a more scientific approach than initially used.

17. Aug 9, 2022 at 4:07 PM
    Thacrow

Thacrow [OP] New Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2021 ORP
    Speed holes
    Welp, after a couple back and forth's with Accutune and them telling me that with their King's or Icons the measurement from top hat to center line of the bottom bolt on the coil overs would be 20.75" which is about exactly where mine currently sits.

I've added about 500 pounds so far of which about 330 pounds is on the front end all of the weight is in front of the rear axle. No steel rear bumper. So I think the front end is where it's supposed to sit and the rear end is riding high since it has almost none of the weight with 3" overland springs. I do have 2" rear springs I'm going to throw on and see how that goes. Or call back Accutune and see if they have anything taller. I really liked how it looked sitting higher.

18. Aug 9, 2022 at 4:17 PM
    blksubykid

blksubykid New Member

Member:
    What are your center of hub to fender measurements? And what are you adding up to be 300lbs up front? I only see a low pro bumper and a winch…

19. Aug 9, 2022 at 4:40 PM
    Thacrow

Thacrow [OP] New Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2021 ORP
    Speed holes
    22" from center line hub to fender.

I'm counting half the weight of steel skid plates, rock sliders and gobi roof rack on top of the low pro and winch.

20. Aug 9, 2022 at 4:45 PM
    blksubykid

blksubykid New Member

Member:
    and rears?

I know weight adds up but the majority of the sag is coming from the bumper and winch (as you noticed)

21. Aug 9, 2022 at 4:47 PM
    Thacrow

Thacrow [OP] New Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2021 ORP
    Speed holes
    25" exactly on the rears.

oh yeah....that bumper is sitting way out there acting like a lever.

22. Aug 9, 2022 at 4:51 PM
    blksubykid

blksubykid New Member

Member:
    You have more rake than me...I'm at 22.5" F and 24.5" R
    I'd probably swap rear springs as you mentioned

How's the ride tho? How much preload are you running? Is there any markings on the springs to indicate spring rate? part number? I'm guessing either you have the wrong spring rate? or free spring length? or the combo of both lOl I have a friend that ran into this exact issue with his subaru

23. Aug 9, 2022 at 5:00 PM
    Thacrow

Thacrow [OP] New Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2021 ORP
    Speed holes
    I can tell it rides funny. Handles slightly different. Almost like the front end is weighed down...funny that...steering is heavier.

1400 300 0700 - 700# springs Eibach in the front no markings. I think I'm maxed on preload / height, my understanding is they auto preload as you raise the height.
    52800 Icon Overland 3" springs in the rear

free spring length?
    https://imgur.com/ovDwNTC
    https://imgur.com/F2zSwZz

24. Aug 9, 2022 at 6:53 PM
    blksubykid

blksubykid New Member

Member:
    uncompressed spring height. The p/n number shows 14” height which should be the same as my kings. You have a little bit more preload than I do but I’m on #600 springs and have more weight than you. You should be able to add more preload but I think you would have a taller stance. I guess not all springs are created equal *shrugs*

25. Aug 9, 2022 at 7:08 PM
    Thacrow

Thacrow [OP] New Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2021 ORP
    Speed holes
    guys at accutune said these are sitting where the kings or icons would that they sell. these were cranked as much as i could and still be able to remove my spring compressor.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2022
  26. Aug 14, 2022 at 8:18 PM
    Thacrow

Thacrow [OP] New Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2021 ORP
    Speed holes
    Replaced 3" rear icon overland springs with icon 2' lift. Handles better but still feels a little nose heavy which is probably to be expected with steel skids and a steel lopro bumper and no steel bumper in rear - but much better than it was.

Probably going to change at least the front skid to aluminum at some point here. See if that helps.

https://imgur.com/5CNpzgF
    https://imgur.com/a/6nC337U

Products Discussed in

To Top