1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Frame rust

Discussion in '3rd Gen 4Runners (1996-2002)' started by senior master, Sep 6, 2021.

1. Sep 6, 2021 at 10:34 AM
    senior master

senior master [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 toyota 4 runner limited 4x4
    stock
    My 2002 3rd gen 4runner is showing signs of rust now on the frame NO HOLES YET caught it early what is the best way to deal with this pressure wash the frame and then undercoat it???

2. Sep 6, 2021 at 4:35 PM
    Oldtoyotaguy

Oldtoyotaguy Paid cash for it

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Toyota 4 Runner Offroad
    @senior master - pressure wash with hot water, descale with an air needle gun, final cleanup with wire wheel, treat with rust converter inside and outside the frame, paint outside of frame with POR 15, apply fluid film to inside of frame.
    There are other products that may work equally well, I’m not a partisan when it comes to rust proofing, or feel a need to debate what’s best. Every car guy has his own magic elixir that he believes in, lol. But I’ve used this process on several vehicles and it works well.

3. Sep 8, 2021 at 11:14 PM
    dricko

dricko New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derick W.
    Chassis Saver is a good substitute for por15. It is a less labor-intensive job.

4. Sep 11, 2021 at 4:00 AM
    mousemeat

mousemeat New Member

Member:
    Memphis, TN.
    Vehicle:
    1997 4 runner limited
    upgraded suspension, large all terrain tires
    no matter what product you choose...it's important that you attend to the rust, ASAP. as Neil Young once sang. ' rust never sleeps '..

senior master [OP] likes this.
  5. Sep 11, 2021 at 8:25 AM
    BroRunner

BroRunner New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition
    How do you apply fluid film inside the frame? Is there a special wand or something you can buy in order to get in all the holes and along the frame rails?

And what can be done inside the frame to remove existing rust?

6. Sep 11, 2021 at 8:32 AM
    Gamma Ray

Gamma Ray New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 Barcelona Red
    Hood protector, mud guards, cross bars, Wonderfulhz screen protector (8 inch)
    Get a bunch of regular spray cans, pull off the nozzle, and put this in its place. Stick the hose inside the holes and go to town. It says Woolwax, but it works with Fluid Film cans. You could also use Woolwax. Having done Fluid Film last year, I may switch to Woolwax in the future. I still have a bunch of Fluid Film spray cans left over from last year, so it'll be a year or two before I make the switch, though.

https://www.amazon.com/Fluid-Film-S...e531a7d6286&pd_rd_wg=Rq9sh&pd_rd_i=B00CLUGXFI

This video is a good place to start, but I'd recommend using some kind of respirator especially if you're going to be doing it in a garage. I'd also recommend using a respirator outside if you're going to be jacking the 4Runner up and getting under it to spray it. I usually skip the respirator when just touching up the frame or whatever, but I make sure not to breathe in while I'm doing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0lJDuCWFlA

BroRunner likes this.
  7. Sep 11, 2021 at 8:35 AM
    Gamma Ray

Gamma Ray New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 Barcelona Red
    Hood protector, mud guards, cross bars, Wonderfulhz screen protector (8 inch)

Products Discussed in

To Top