1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Forward-thinking Suspension Upgrade

Discussion in '3rd Gen 4Runners (1996-2002)' started by DaTravelKine, Mar 7, 2023.

1. Mar 7, 2023 at 5:18 PM
    DaTravelKine

DaTravelKine [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1997 4runner
    Dear Fellow Runners,

Have to start with the “longtime lurker, firsttime poster”. I appreciate the amount of knowledge you all pour into this. For every person posting, there are legion of us that it helps who never jump on or interact. Thanks for the time investment.

I’ll really try to pare this down. My deepest apologies for length:

I’m a nomad by nature, and live out of my Runner.

My current employment is almost done, and I have to move on for more funding so I can continue building my kit/complete my upgrades.

I have ~1,500 lbs of tools and survival equipment, which I’ll eventually build a trailer for. Leaving in storage till rig is finished.

In the meantime, I desperately need a job I can enjoy while saving up, so want to tour around and work on a river/rave festivals/weird, backcountry tree planting operations, etc. Live the youth I wanted to when my youth was still present.

Since my future will certainly involve towing and ultra heavy loads, but 3 months or so of lighter running, how do I plan a suspension system around that? Is it realistic?

I built a steel tube platform with expanded metal to put my mattress on; square steel tube and expanded metal roof rack; will likely put ~200lbs in Remington boxes up top and 3x180W solar panels. Got some weight, but not like it will.

Of course was looking at OME 891 and 5100 Bilstein rear, but that’s accounting for towing and full kit/future upgrades. Do I get a suspension to grow into, or switch things up according to current use?

Can you all help me figure out how to approach this?

2. Mar 7, 2023 at 7:44 PM
    nimby

nimby in the drink

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    California
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5P
    How about this......

Get Bilstein 5100's all around and use your stock coils at first.

Once you add your weight, switch out your coils to ones with a heavier spring rate.

3. Mar 7, 2023 at 8:40 PM
    DaTravelKine

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1997 4runner
    I like that idea. Thank you.

My rear is sagging almost to the frame, any suggestions on rear coils to get me through?

4. Mar 7, 2023 at 9:36 PM
    DaTravelKine

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1997 4runner
    Actually, you know what, I just remembered that when I checked my VIN a year ago, a service recall showed up for a faulty rear suspension. I’m going to call up a nearby dealership to get the skinny on that. If they replace it with stock, 5100 and stock could very well be the solution.

Just in case it doesn’t pan out, if someone gets a moment of insight, please feel free to share your thoughts.

5. Mar 8, 2023 at 9:57 AM
    coryanderson

coryanderson New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 4x4 - black and tan
    285/75r17 KO2, Bilstein 5100s in front, Dobinsons mid travel shocks in rear with ICON overland springs, P&P Sliders & skids, LFD front bumper, Warn EVO 10-S winch, ARB Dual Compressor w/ Bandi mount, Shrockworks Dual Battery Tray, Westcott roof rack, Kenwood DMX 8709
    I would build your 4Runner suspension to the needs of when it is "light" and add these:
    https://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Suspension/Toyota/4Runner/2018/TTORSEQ.html?VehicleID=20181014372

I haven't used them on my 4Runner but I have them on my dually and they work amazing for heavy loads. They're like airbags but arguably better, cheaper, and easier to use (no need to air up or down).

I've recommended these before but I have not heard any reviews on them for a 4Runner outside of the eTrailer reviews.

6. Mar 8, 2023 at 10:28 AM
    DaTravelKine

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1997 4runner
    Well, those look cool as heck. I’m just now getting into the reviews, but I can’t imagine a situation where they wouldn’t be beneficial. Thank you.

So I imagine the only time you’d even notice they’re there is when they’re needed. That’s awesome.

Have you found any downsides with these I should keep in mind?

7. Mar 8, 2023 at 10:40 AM
    coryanderson

coryanderson New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    285/75r17 KO2, Bilstein 5100s in front, Dobinsons mid travel shocks in rear with ICON overland springs, P&P Sliders & skids, LFD front bumper, Warn EVO 10-S winch, ARB Dual Compressor w/ Bandi mount, Shrockworks Dual Battery Tray, Westcott roof rack, Kenwood DMX 8709
    On the dually, no. I have them on my dually because I have a slide in camper and if you don't know, those things are heavy AF. I have my dually's overload springs permanently engaged and have these to help with the sway (An upgraded rear sway bar is next in line). When there is no weight in the dually, my overload springs are still engaged and the ride is rough, to say the least, but when towing it's great and that's the only reason why I have it, so it works for me. I'd imagine on the 4Runner, the worst thing is if your suspension isn't beefed up for the weight (proper rear springs) then you might ride on them more than you want but like the dually, I'd prefer to be a little spring heavy in my vehicles than sagging and bottoming out.

Personally, I'm curious about how they handle off-road without weight. I push harder in the dirt than most with comparable vehicles and I would hope these would almost act as a bump stop, but I don't know.

8. Mar 8, 2023 at 11:11 AM
    DaTravelKine

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1997 4runner

Ditto on the spring heavy. I was hauling dual steel job boxes and a rooftop tent a couple years ago, and the dirt roads I was driving gave me a permanent fear.

See, them acting as bumpstops on light runs are exactly what popped to mind. I really can’t see any reason Not to have these. That’s the low maintenance, there-if-you-need it multifunction kit that gives me a calm feeling.

This seems like something I need to mention to my horse-hauling associates. D good suggestion.

Btw, verified with several Toyota Service Centers that my rear suspension safety recall is still active. Once I finish these last few things, I’ll go get that taken care of, install the 5100s with the stock springs, get that awesome SAS, and take a few months to educate myself proper on what heavy system works best for my lifestyle.

These good ideas keep flowing in. My mindset is still fluid on this, ready for further influence.

9. Mar 8, 2023 at 11:24 AM
    coryanderson

coryanderson New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    DaTravelKine[OP] likes this.
  10. Mar 8, 2023 at 12:07 PM
    DaTravelKine

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1997 4runner
    These people are brilliant. This is the sort of stuff you get when you teach people how to modify equipment. Simple, elegant, backwoods solutions turned mass production available.

Again, good suggestion and thank you. I need to go sneak down to my friend’s place and check out his truck. You’ve put the concept of preloading leaf springs in my brain, and I’ll be seeing the potential for it everywhere now.

coryanderson likes this.
  11. Mar 8, 2023 at 12:31 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Dobinson IMS Warn Bumper CaliRaised Sliders 285/70 K02s
    Another possibility is to install springs that are a match for the heaviest weight you plan on generally having. Then deal with the crappy ride for the rest of the time you are lighter.

The reason I say this is because I’d worry bump stop solutions like the ones pictures maybe would limit articulation potential (only important if you need off road capability). They also seem like a compromise solution for when you dont have the option to spring for the weight. Or I guess, for when you have to compromise…lol. So, full circle, depending on if you think compromise is necessary due to the variable loads, Bump stop/helpers might be just what you need. Otherwise, it the springs that match your load would be the best way to make sure it handles as best as possible at the highest weights

DaTravelKine[OP] likes this.
  12. Mar 8, 2023 at 12:54 PM
    coryanderson

coryanderson New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    I agree with most of your points.

FWIW: the timbrens are held in with 2 bolts each and would take less than 10 minutes to remove and put back in the originals which is about as much time it takes me to air my tires back up whereas springs are "permanent". For $250, I might pull the trigger and give them a go this summer when boat season picks up.

13. Mar 8, 2023 at 1:19 PM
    DaTravelKine

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1997 4runner
    I may get to experience the full spectrum of these points. It’s looking most realistic to do the stock + 5100s, since I’ll likely keep the shocks regardless of what I do. I’m definitely curious enough about the SAS to spend the cash on those in the event of driving around the occasional ridiculous load for future friends/bosses.

Then, to Spaz’s point, I’ll definitely start building a permanent, heavy-potential spring setup when funds, time, and proper knowledge allow. That way there’s a functional overlap between parts.

I swear… it’s been so long since I’ve had real interaction like this with knowledgeable people. I can’t tell you how good it is having vehicle specific advice. Thank you all.

Last big question of mine, for now: I desperately want to replace the lower ball joints before I go. It’s looking like big lift needs specialty upper control arms, but will standard LBJs handle me throughout this process?

14. Mar 8, 2023 at 6:27 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Dobinson IMS Warn Bumper CaliRaised Sliders 285/70 K02s
    Very good point on the ease of removal of the timbrens, i hadn’t thought of that! A little bit of time when necessary will buy you alot of flexibility.

By the way, it’s awesome that you’re doing what you’re doing.

15. Mar 8, 2023 at 7:14 PM
    DaTravelKine

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1997 4runner
    Agreed. I’m in love with the idea of a… not sure if “modular” design is right, but a “adjust as you go” kind of rig. Never considered it, before. Maybe on a Unimog, but not on a Runner.

Thank you, brother. We’ll see if a few months of unrestricted fun and exploration can undo some burnout. I’m actually excited for the first time in longer than I’d like to admit out loud.

Ok, I got to ask you all. Since we got a group of us here. As an unspoken but recognized fellowship, is the need to get out and go somewhere wild a part of most of us Runner operators? Is there something even more fundamental shared between all of us?

Products Discussed in

To Top