1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fluttering sound?

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Slopemaster, Jul 14, 2021.

1. Jul 14, 2021 at 10:34 PM
    Slopemaster

Slopemaster [OP] Slope Survivalist

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    265-70-17 Ridge Grapplers, TRD Pro rims, 3M precut bra, N-Fab nerf/steps
    For the last week while driving on the interstate, I've been hearing a faint fluttering sound from the drivers side.

That's the best way I can describe it. I'm fairly confident it's not the front inner fender rubber flaps. I fixed those with silicon about the first month of ownership.

I thought it might be the AC, but I turned it off while driving and the sound persisted.

The sound doesn't really sound mechanical or just wind. It's in between. Weird.

The conditions were calm (no wind) while driving. Only hear it at highway speeds (60-70).

2. Jul 15, 2021 at 7:00 AM
    DallasTRDPro

DallasTRDPro New Member

Member:
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    2021 Honda CRV...UGH!
    I taped my inner fenders and they still moved at high speeds. Replaced them with the Rad Rubber and no longer hear that type of noise.

3. Jul 15, 2021 at 7:47 AM
    4runningMan

4runningMan New Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    I have something similar. I *think* it’s coming from the behind the speedometer? Can’t figure it out. It’s so faint, it’s not a problem, nor am I concerned about it. But I would like to know what it is.

Like you, I only hear it on the highway.

4. Jul 15, 2021 at 7:54 AM
    Red_5

Red_5 New Member

Member:
    I've got it too. It got worse after the lift, so I'm assuming it's the fender liners. I'm not worried about it, but it is sort of annoying.

5. Jul 15, 2021 at 8:18 AM
    Slopemaster

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    Exactly!

Just started this week after almost three years and 18k miles.

Weird, doesn't really sound like a serious mechanical problem though.

I don't want to run to the dealership every time I feel or hear something that does not appear to be serious, because I don't want the mechanics disassembling the car trying to solve a benign issue and risk inducing new issues or rattles.

6. Jul 15, 2021 at 8:32 AM
    Slopemaster

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    I used to have this problem too. It was especially pronounced when driving with a strong cross wind.

I used silicon to secure the rubber flap attachments and it was no longer a problem. Maybe the higher temperatures this summer has allowed additional flexibility causing the new sound.

Another sound unrelated to this thread was those dang plastic corners on the lower windshield.

They would squeak after off-roading due to the dust. Now, when I get back on pavement after off-roading, I pour water on each corner to rinse off the dust until I can properly wash the truck.

While we're talking about noises, sometimes the hood latch will get dusty and cause a creaking noise that I first thought was a front suspension issue.

The dust I encounter while off road is really bad, but I don't recall my 97 Tacoma making all these sounds after off-roading.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
    7385 and Moon Landing like this.
  7. Jul 15, 2021 at 10:08 AM
    dosomeplowin

dosomeplowin New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '22 AG ORP
    I've been hearing something like this as well from the same location but even below highway speeds. I'll check the security of the liners to see if that helps.

Slopemaster[OP] likes this.
  8. Jul 15, 2021 at 2:11 PM
    4runningMan

4runningMan New Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    Ha yeah I absolutely wouldn’t want the dash disassembled while hunting for this sound (or even to fix it; it’s not a big deal). I only hear it if listening for it.

I used to hear about “speedometer cables” making a sound like this. Don’t know if that’s even a thing anymore.

9. Jul 15, 2021 at 2:28 PM
    Slopemaster

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    I'm 99.999 percent sure our 5th gens have an electronic speedo using a sending unit.

On that note, I did have to change the speedo cable on my 97 Tacoma years ago.

Hardest part was getting behind the instrument cluster.

I was fortunate that there was a Toyota dealership, I think in western Oregon that carried OEM parts for my 97' in the late 2000's.

I'm not bagging on dealership mechanics but it would have to be a pretty serious issue before I'd want them to tear the truck apart.

I want to maintain the original factory assembly as long as possible.

4runningMan likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top